• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Snacks

Kathleen tracy

Time of past OR future Camino
Astorga to santiago de compostela
Hi
Plse can someone advise me about the wisdom of taking biltong (beef jerky) on our hike as snacks. I know some countries dont allow it in as it is cured and not cooked

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good point and a real trek food - this subject has come up before and it was said that it was illegal to bring it in (see here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/beef-jerky.51563/ )

though don't be sad! - you can buy literally hundreds of types of traditional cured sausage in Spain .. keeps well (obviously) and is also a great nutrition to have with you .. should make a pretty good replacement.

May be wrong, not being a Spanish speaker, but jerky is possibly carna seca here.

Last edited:
David's right. For me, chorizo proved to do the trick. Available everywhere in Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like the others have said, cured meat is widely available in Spain and you can have easily a different taste as you munch for your way along the Camino ;-)

BC SY

Most read last week in this forum