• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snacks after Jaw Surgery

Darby

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Hi all. Unfortunately I had jaw surgery last year that did not work. I am unable to chew basically most foods and will be undergoing a much more extensive surgery in January. I’m not worried about places to eat (a very kind person translated for me “I have had jaw surgery and would like something soft and not chewy.” I’m laminating it on a card for restaurants). What a gift that was - the Camino had already given me something without beginning.

I am walking the Portuguese route in October.

My fear is snacks - no nuts, fruit or trail mix for me. I am bringing a small set of utensils for soft cheeses and purchased silicone bottles to put local honey in so I can squeeze in my mouth. Any other suggestions? Are protein shakes available? I’m worried about protein intake and have become anemic already due to the jaw surgery.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As much yogurt as I eat, I should have thought about that! I’m getting a little nervous and only learned about the extensive jaw surgery 2 weeks ago. I think that will be another thing I will be coming to terms with on my adventure. Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you have it translated into both Portuguese and Spanish?
Yes! Amazingly someone from my hometown of Mobile, Alabama found me when I introduced myself and we started talking about Mobile. She has lived in Lisbon for 10 years and gave me both translations. Truly a small world. She also writes travel blogs along with her husband and sent me some for Porto and Lisbon. Crazy, small world!

In addition to fruit and nuts - which you can't have - we sometimes take these in our backpacks when walking routes where there are likely to be no stops on the way. This picture is the French version, but we have them in Australia as well. And I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them in a supermarket in Portugal. You can usually find low sugar versions, and various fruits and vegetables. They don't need to be refrigerated. And they are lightweight. Could be a good back up addition to your menu.

1694785566312.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes! Amazingly someone from my hometown of Mobile, Alabama found me when I introduced myself and we started talking about Mobile. She has lived in Lisbon for 10 years and gave me both translations. Truly a small world. She also writes travel blogs along with her husband and sent me some for Porto and Lisbon. Crazy, small world!
That would be @Wendy Werneth. I met her and her husband @jungleboy in Lisbon last year. They are both wonderful people.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Every town I went to with a Carrefour Express or other grocery store, I bought Danone HiPro yogurt beverage. 25g of protein, no added sugar, I liked the vanilla flavour. Made an excellent breakfast. There's a very soft cheese (Happy Cow or similar brand) that comes in a circular box of individually packaged wedges that was in almost every store, it is my least favourite cheese but came in handy the few times I was too exhausted to chew.

I can't speak for cafes/restaurants in Portugal, but many in Spain would fry or scramble eggs if requested - usually available on lunch menus.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved the yogurt drinks I found in the supermarkets. I would get the store's own brand, generally for less than €2 for a litre. In a similar vein but quite different, sometimes I would also buy cartons of gazpacho, a good way to get your daily vegetables without needing to chew.

Hi all. Unfortunately I had jaw surgery last year that did not work. I am unable to chew basically most foods and will be undergoing a much more extensive surgery in January. I’m not worried about places to eat (a very kind person translated for me “I have had jaw surgery and would like something soft and not chewy.” I’m laminating it on a card for restaurants). What a gift that was - the Camino had already given me something without beginning.

I am walking the Portuguese route in October.

My fear is snacks - no nuts, fruit or trail mix for me. I am bringing a small set of utensils for soft cheeses and purchased silicone bottles to put local honey in so I can squeeze in my mouth. Any other suggestions? Are protein shakes available? I’m worried about protein intake and have become anemic already due to the jaw surgery.
Most recently cooked tortilla de patatas could be eaten without teeth.

Oatmeal, add hot water. Rolled oats are already steamed and ready to eat, they don't need to be cooked. Carry the dry oats and add water, maybe add some canned peaches. Those things are all soft.

@Darby I’m guessing that your issue isn’t whether you’ve got teeth or not but a chewing issue which is a different level of buggeration entirely. Apart from the, useless, advice to avoid Lomo I can’t offer you much. Outside of the tedious Menu Peregrino you will find soups, stews, and “estofados” that will be mashable and ingestible.
Trail snacks? All those sachets of purée that I squirt into the mouths of the more junior or most senior members of my tribe, available anywhere with the lights on, should meet your needs.

As an aside to getting you down the Camino: what advice are you getting on nutrition generally? If you’re anaemic now, before you undertake a challenging hike, what advice are you getting. I, for one, would not be asking a bunch of random Camino obsessives for dietary advice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the States I've seen single serve packets of nut butters. Taking a handful of these will give access to both protein and nutritious calories when you need them.

@Darby I’m guessing that your issue isn’t whether you’ve got teeth or not but a chewing issue which is a different level of buggeration entirely. Apart from the, useless, advice to avoid Lomo I can’t offer you much. Outside of the tedious Menu Peregrino you will find soups, stews, and “estofados” that will be mashable and ingestible.
Trail snacks? All those sachets of purée that I squirt into the mouths of the more junior or most senior members of my tribe, available anywhere with the lights on, should meet your needs.

As an aside to getting you down the Camino: what advice are you getting on nutrition generally? If you’re anaemic now, before you undertake a challenging hike, what advice are you getting. I, for one, would not be asking a bunch of random Camino obsessives for dietary advice
My jaw issue resulted from being tripped last year which knocked my TMJ disk into my skull. Sorry to be gruesome. I had surgery over a year ago to replace the disk but learned 2 weeks ago I will have a much more extensive surgery that will involve screws, a latch and shaving off 5 mm of my jaw, which hopefully will alleviate the pain. Sorry again if TMI. My issue is that my molars hit too hard to chew at this time because of the structural damage caused by being tripped.

I drink a lot of protein shakes and eat a lot of omelettes. I am getting in plenty of protein here. Just concerned about some things that are soft and readily available.

I am on iron and been cleared by several doctors to go. I walk about 10 miles a day. I have some medical issues that so far are an enigma.

That is a lot of the reason I am walking the Camino. Dealing with if my jaw will ever work again, other medical issues along with other personal issues that I need to work out in my head. Who knows if I’ll work anything out while walking. Just looking for ideas for snacks so as not to burn too many calories between meals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the States I've seen single serve packets of nut butters. Taking a handful of these will give access to both protein and nutritious calories when you need them.
I was thinking about that. I eat a lot of creamy nut butters and maybe should just bring them from here. I’ll see if I can find out about availability over there.

I was thinking about that. I eat a lot of creamy nut butters and maybe should just bring them from here. I’ll see if I can find out about availability over there.
Mostly you will find hazelnut and chocolate spreads in Spain (yum!) Also look for ColaCao which is a chocolate drink mix to mix with milk. Peanut butter is located with the children's snack items iN bigger grocery stores in Spain. Lots of flan, cheese cakes, and other creamy yummy things. And always wine, coffee, or water to help you manage along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife is currently undergoing withdrawal symptoms having found a high protein chocolate pudding concoction by YoPro in Portugal. She now finds that it is only sold in Spain and Portugal, not elsewhere, and cannot get it now she is at home. It is in the dairy case in supermarkets and the occasional tienda.

If you like milk buy that too - a study shows that it's more hydrating than water.

Interesting challenge. On my most recent Camino (VdlP I could not buy fresh milk anywhere!
Looked at me strangely when I asked for it in Supermarkets.
I guess they only have UHT cows.... :rolleyes:

Maybe it's available, I just gave up looking.
I was hoping to find flavoured milks for a post walk 'recuperation' of proteins/fats/sugars.

Though I did find yummy bottles of flavoured yoghurt in many stores.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am packed pretty light (10 pounds) and will be in Porto for 2 days before starting. As I plan on walking slow at first, I may stock up on some provisions in Porto and see how they work (yoghurt will always be good) and if something is not working for me, I will leave it where I stay for other pilgrims.

Even though I live in south Alabama, I prefer European yoghurt as ours is awfully sweet. Some people have told me over the last year how lucky I am as I can have milkshakes all the time. I think I could live the rest of my life without having another milkshake. I have said that too about mashed potatoes, but since I have started adding Brie to them, I like them again!

You could get almonds and carbs (for fuel) from a bar of soft turron in Spain 😋
Edit: Do make sure it’s the soft one! It comes both hard (granite?) and soft and can melt in the mouth.

And some patés come in tubes.

At home, have you tried Skordalia? It’s a Greek dish of creamed/mashed potatoes with garlic, olive oil and lemon. You could soften the garlic by roasting it (I cut a whole head in half, across the bulb) for a while. You add the lemon and olive oil slowly, to taste, and salt (spices?). I suppose, now I write it out, that it’s a bit like potato hommous! It doesn’t taste like it though and it is delicious 😋

It you eat fish, you could make various fish patés … salmon? … and make them soft enough for you, with butter and cream.

Personally, I’d just eat the Brie on it’s own 😉

I wish you the easiest transition through your op that is possible … may you have the best surgeon and anaesthetists and a gentle recovery.

Go well …. may you find the peace you are seeking ❤️

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Arroz con leche (rice pudding) might be good too. You can buy it in little tubs (like yogurt) and it's sometimes a desert option on a pilgrim menus.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bring Individual serving protein powder packs and a shaker bottle to mix with water. This should help supplement your regular meals.
Cooking for yourself in albergues can be hit or miss. I wouldn't depend upon it

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.