So close to Pico Sacro!

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
I don’t know if the legend of pico Sacro is common knowledge on the Forum, but here is my simplistic understanding. Saint James’s two disciples arrived from the holy land looking for a place to bury the body. The pagan Reina Lupa told them to take it up to pico Sacro. Her plan was that the resident dragon would make sure that there would be no spread of Christianity in the land. Divine intervention resulted in the death of the dragon, and Lupa saw the error of her Ways and converted to Christianity.

The shape is recognizable for miles and miles. This year I decided it was time to go to the top. I found a great track on Wikiloc that did not require any backtracking and probably only added about a kilometer or two. The views up on top are amazing in all directions. I could see the spires of the cathedral. I have recorded my tracks on Wikiloc (same name) so anyone who wants to follow, be my guest. Greenline is standard Camino. The orange line is what I did. Highly recommended.

Ps. The detour starts about 50 m past the Outeiro albergue.

Attachments

• IMG_3378.jpeg
    IMG_3378.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,310
  • IMG_3375.jpeg
    IMG_3375.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3382.png
    IMG_3382.png
    418.1 KB · Views: 96
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Laurie, that view is great, and the big smile on your face "says it all"!
We will be passing through in a couple of days. Depending on weather and my motivation, (whether I am full of energy or lacking it), I will decide. We will be leaving Eiravedra, a 20k walk to Santiago.

Saranger

Feb 13, 2016
Indiana, United States of America
Samos-Santiago 2015 & 2016
Porto-Santiago 2017
Kumano Kodo March 2018
Ferrol-Santiago May 2019
When we walked in on 05 May it was raining and the low clouds obscured everything from the Pico Sacro to the spires. We couldn’t see the spires until just a few km from SdC. So glad you had great weather! On the other hand, we walked into the middle of the feira de Santa Lucia and had fun talking with the locals and enjoying drinks and snacks at the stalls with the locals!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
MadridWay- Fall '23
Laurie, I walked in to Santiago today and with a new knee injury walking that never ending downhill into Punte Ulla the day before, I decided not to make matters worse and attempt it. Truthfully I was almost glad anyway to have a good excuse to miss it, although I did look at it wistfully a few times as it came into view.
Screenshot_20240512-002322~2.png

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
Laurie, I walked in to Santiago today and with a new knee injury walking that never ending downhill into Punte Ulla the day before, I decided not to make matters worse and attempt it. Truthfully I was almost glad anyway to have a good excuse to miss it, although I did look at it wistfully a few times as it came into view.
View attachment 170060
Oh Chris, I’ve had bad knees on that stretch down to Ponte Ulla too. The view OF Pico Sacro is just as iconic. Next time!

Safe travels home, i’m sorry we didn’t coincide.

• Thank you
Reactions: Camino Chrissy
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
MadridWay- Fall '23
Oh Chris, I’ve had bad knees on that stretch down to Ponte Ulla too. The view OF Pico Sacro is just as iconic. Next time!

Safe travels home, i’m sorry we didn’t coincide.
Yes, it would have been so nice to see you! Maybe we can make a better effort to meet up with Joe Flavin at Starved Rock this summer or fall.

Reactions: peregrina2000
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I completed the Sanabres Camino a week ago after having started in Rionegro del Puente. I am a forum member who enjoys the downhills as my knees have always been strong. The uphills wear me out...
Something I came across earlier today which sounded interesting. The Ourense local council and a public service organisation are running a project where local people can walk from Ourense to...
Usually reliable Rome2Rio website doesn't show a bus route which runs close to the Oseira monastery, but Google maps shows a bus icon there. Does anyone know whether there is or is not bus service...
In case it’s helpful for those who are looking to start their Sanabres walk from Granja de Moruela: Last week, when I reached Granja de Moruela while walking the via de la plata, I continued...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides