• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SO here is my not very well thought out plan...

Chacharm

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Frances (2012) Vie Del Norte (2015) Via Frances (2016) Le Puy (2017)
I leave here on the 14th (of this month) , arriving in Paris on the 15th and taking the TGV to Pau. I had planned to hang out with my friends in Buzy for the weekend and then take a train into SJPP on the 18th and walking on the 19th.
But I had an email from said friends saying that they are going to be on holiday during this time and they want me to hang out for that week. This puts me on Camino the following weekend - say the 24th.
And I start the EPW on June 4. I would like to be in Vienna by the first of June if not sooner so that I can visit Budapest and Bratislava though that isn't absolutely necessary.
So maybe I should start in Pamplona rather than SJPP?
That would shave off about a week, right?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So you want to start walking about April 24, want to end in Santiago, and need to get to Vienna by June 1 at the latest. Is that it?

Where to start depends on your pace, whether you need rest days, and if you're ok with catching a bus to cover a few stages if need be.

My recommendation: change that TGV reservation. Start hiking right away. Visit friends and Vienna afterwards. Unless you prefer sitting for a week waiting to rendezvous with your friends to spending time on the Camino.

Last edited:
Go to Cauterets, visit Pont d'Espagne and the awesome thermal baths, walk to Buzy. Or, walk from Lourdes to Oloron St. Marie. Bon chemin! @Chacharm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I leave here on the 14th (of this month) , arriving in Paris on the 15th and taking the TGV to Pau. I had planned to hang out with my friends in Buzy for the weekend and then take a train into SJPP on the 18th and walking on the 19th.
But I had an email from said friends saying that they are going to be on holiday during this time and they want me to hang out for that week. This puts me on Camino the following weekend - say the 24th.
And I start the EPW on June 4. I would like to be in Vienna by the first of June if not sooner so that I can visit Budapest and Bratislava though that isn't absolutely necessary.

I am so confused.

I think I got this straight. You will start the Camino around the 24th of this month and need to be in Vienna by the 1st of June, so that means you need to be in Santiago by around the 29th or 30th of May. Let's say the 29th and you start the actual walk from SJPdP on the 25th of April. That gives you 35 days to get to Santiago from SJPdP. yeah, dat's doable. Starting in Pamplona would take off 3 days, which means you walk from there to Santiago in about 32 of the 35 days you have.
Of course all this is dependent on your pace and such.
Hope my math was correct on all that....:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Chacharm
I think I'm interpreting your query correctly - you're visiting friends in Buzy near Pau before you start your Camino, and as they have some holiday time they have asked you to stay for a week instead of the weekend you had planned, which would mean you would be starting your Camino 5 days later than intended? And you then need to be in Vienna by 1st June? You would probably still have time to walk from St Jean in that time, but if you want a less pressured pace you could save 3-5 days by starting in Pamplona, depending on how fast you walk. Or start in St Jean and walk as far as you can, or skip a bit later on if you find you're running short of time and want to end in Santiago. Getting to Pamplona from Buzy could be your main challenge, unless your friends are very nice and decide to drive you! By train you would have to go from Pau to Bayonne and then down through Irun - a few changes of train or bus to get to Pamplona. Maybe just go to St Jean and start from there as planned?

Have a wonderful time anyway - Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
35 days should be enough to start in SJPP if you want to. If possible, I'd do all my visiting after the Camino: you'll have so much to tell your friends, and it will reduce feeling time-pressured during your Camino.

Hi, Chacharm,

Yes, I agree with others that the question is more about whether you will sit there chomping at the bit while visiting with your friends for a week or whether you will be able to relax and enjoy it. From some of the replies you've seen, I think you can see that many of us would be in the "chomping at the bit" category, but that may not be you.

In terms of time, I think I understand that you have 35 days for walking the Frances even after you subtract the week for "vacation with friends." If that's right, it puts you well in the average range for walking from SJPP. But I think it's always nice to have 3 or 4 days held in reserve, which you can use for unexpected changes, injuries, illness, etc etc. And if you have those days left over at the end, a walk to Muxia/Finisterre is a very lovely way to use them! Buen camino, Laurie

So you want to start walking about April 24, want to end in Santiago, and need to get to Vienna by June 1 at the latest. Is that it?

Where to start depends on your pace, whether you need rest days, and if you're ok with catching a bus to cover a few stages if need be.

My recommendation: change that TGV reservation. Start hiking right away. Visit friends and Vienna afterwards. Unless you prefer sitting for a week waiting to rendezvous with your friends to spending time on the Camino.
YEs. My last Camino I started walking on the 19th and made it to Santiago on June 1. And that was with rest days. And I am OK with catching a bus if I need to. I don't have to end in Santiago but I would prefer it. I have thought a lot about walking
Hi Chacharm
I think I'm interpreting your query correctly - you're visiting friends in Buzy near Pau before you start your Camino, and as they have some holiday time they have asked you to stay for a week instead of the weekend you had planned, which would mean you would be starting your Camino 5 days later than intended? And you then need to be in Vienna by 1st June? You would probably still have time to walk from St Jean in that time, but if you want a less pressured pace you could save 3-5 days by starting in Pamplona, depending on how fast you walk. Or start in St Jean and walk as far as you can, or skip a bit later on if you find you're running short of time and want to end in Santiago. Getting to Pamplona from Buzy could be your main challenge, unless your friends are very nice and decide to drive you! By train you would have to go from Pau to Bayonne and then down through Irun - a few changes of train or bus to get to Pamplona. Maybe just go to St Jean and start from there as planned?

Have a wonderful time anyway - Buen Camino!
Yes that is pretty much exactly it. And I made that train trip from Pau to Irun last year when I attempted to walk the Norte. There is a slight chance that one of these friends will want to walk with me for a couple of days so might just drive us there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back