• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Social Experience, Camnio Family

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
When peregrinos start in Logroño or Pamplona, do you think they have a harder time finding a social group or a Camino "family" than the peregrinos who begin together at SJPdP or nearby?

Once groups are formed, do you think new peregrinos are added?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not at all. I did the Camino in three different stages over a period of 18 months. I made great friends with during each stage that I still stay in touch with. Do not shy from introducing yourself, inviting people to join you at your table, etc. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I, for one, do not like to become attached to a group from the start to the finish! I enjoy forming a small group for a few days, with people coming and going. If the group gets too tight, I make a point of striking out on my own for a few days. I may later find the same people and join up them then again for a while, but I may not.

However, don't assume I am avoiding relationships :eek:. I have important relationships at home. The Camino brings me something special, which sometimes includes new long-distance friends, but it is mainly a personal internal experience.

Starting in Logrono or Pamplona still gives you plenty of walking time to experience all of the camaraderie that you may want.

Last edited:
When peregrinos start in Logroño or Pamplona, do you think they have a harder time finding a social group or a Camino "family" than the peregrinos who begin together at SJPdP or nearby?

That will be no problem what so ever.

It's the same as back home, relations come and go.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I, for one, do not like to become attached to a group from the start to the finish! I enjoy forming a small group for a few days, with people coming and going. If the group gets too tight, I make a point of striking out on my own for a few days. I may then find the same people or different people later.

However, don't assume I am avoiding relationships :eek:. I have important relationships at home. The Camino brings me something special, which sometimes includes new long-distance friends, but it is mainly a personal internal experience.

Starting in Logrono or Pamplona still gives you plenty of walking time to experience all of the camaraderie that you may want.

Sometimes I wonder if the movie "The Way" leads us to expect a small group of intimates to form rather than fluid joining and leaving as we share commonalities along a shared path.

do you think they have a harder time finding a social group or a Camino "family"
A little bit, yes. Some groups get a bit closed, but don't take it personally. There will be plenty of others that will be quite open. In my observation only Day One out of SJPdP is pretty much 100% open for joining groups (the exception is groups that show up together). After that, there is a slow closing. It is really not much of a problem, honestly. A bit tougher is getting rid of a bore/boor in a tactful way. I suspect women have a harder time than men.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is nice to recognize a familiar face, share a diner, help each other with minor things (as the laundry) , exchange anecdotes. Being an introvert who does not make friendships easily, this is one of the aspects that I like very much in the Camino. But also I prefer to walk alone, and meet people I like in the albergues.
A "family" is a cute word and warm concept, but as it happens with relatives, you (mostly) like them, but don't necessarily stick together for all your activities. In my experience, most (but not all) groups tend to be "open", and integrate new "members" easily. This comes also because not all walkers make the same stages or prefer the same albergues. Basically, it is up to you.
There are some groups that are almost "natural" since the first day; it happens with the merry one of young walkers, for example. Also, languages and, sometimes, nationality, obviously are a factor. As I would not go into comments that may seem stereotypes, I will not give examples, but you know them...o_O;)
And remember that, as in every family meeting, there could be some annoying characters, too...:confused:

Last edited:
I don't even think it's especially constructive to get 'in' with a group at the beginning and stick to them like glue to the end.

I agree with this notion900. The ability to have group "fluidity" is a social benefit of walking long distances. I like to walk alone and not have to adjust to another person's pace or not be able to allow my thoughts to wander because of chatter. However, there is a great comfort in feeling part of a larger bubble of peers which one drifts into and out of over the days.

Familiar faces, and friendly conversation, at bars/cafes, especially after a days walking, is an integral part of the growing process of walking the Camino. One of the benefits of the Camino is the meditative time to sort through those important issues that the faster paced everyday life doesn't allow me to be mindful of. Being absorbed back into the larger social bubble allows me to realize that I am a social person and the things I am working through need the reality of the world around me and cannot be solely contained in my head.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi CaminoJoy123, can't add to the above, agree with most of the comments that families come and go, grow and slow, all are open to joining and where you start has no bearing on your ability to make friends or join a family.

We only saw one person that did not seem to have someone to hang out with consistently. He was very boorish. We called him "Now Tom". We sat near a table where he was eating with a large group of Brits in Viana. He was lecturing the table on why British car manufacturers failed post WWII. He never stopped talking, and when Tom would interrupt to ask a question, he would respond; "Now Tom, what I'm trying to tell you..." and then lecture on why Tom was wrong in a very condescending manner. At one point a woman at the table said; "would you just shut up already"

We saw him eating by himself a lot over the following weeks, and as much as we think no one should eat alone, we just could not subject ourselves to that level of negativity.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if the movie "The Way" leads us to expect a small group of intimates to form rather than fluid joining and leaving as we share commonalities along a shared path.
I think this is true, and unfortunately leads to unrealistic expectations and for some, unreasonable anxieties if they don't immediately get included in a closely-knit "family." Just take it as it comes--there are several other pieces of good advice about "camino family" experiences in this thread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This spring I walked with different groups over different periods. Some stayed back to take a rest day, others had come to the end of theor time off.

And when I got injured and spent a few days in an albergue waiting for Easter weekend to end so I could see a doctor I kept eyeing my fellow albergue mates that were coming in saying to myself: "nope, not walking that lot, let's see what tomorrow brings".

I only heard of the term "Camino family" on my second Camino, and that was 2012, when mochileros and the "Red de albergues" had appeared, so perhaps the "family" was part of thisnew way of approaching the Camino. Actually, the term was not "Camino family" but "Camino wife". :eek: I never did ask if that came with "benefits"! :rolleyes:

For me finding walking companions makes the walk go much faster. The distraction from the conversation helps forget the heat and foot pain, and it can also be a great motivation to follow a better walker when one is down and out at the end of the day.

But after the walking I am happy to do my own thing, and join new people for a drink or dinner.

I believe that if the people we meet on day 1 are soooo fabulous, there really is no reason why those following one or two days behind aren't just as wonderful. This is why I don't feel the need to keep uo with a group, I prefer to see what else/who else this walk may bring.

And yes, there are walks when you don't click with anyone at all, but you can still have civilised conversations and look out for each other.

One funny thing about the Caminos is that for as much as we go on and on about how it is one of the rare moments in life when we are open to others and easily meet and bind with similar minded people, is that we very often do not exchange contact information.

I am also one of those who prefer to walk alone, generally much slower than most. One day this spring I was having a long difficult day, and while I did not say so, I was not sure I would make it to an albergue in Astorga. Another pilgrim walked along with me the last several kilometers and I was ever so grateful to have her support and companionship. In following days we saw each other occasionally but I know that she also loved her solitude along her pilgrimage.

You do not need a "camino family" to experience the very best of being part of one.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When peregrinos start in Logroño or Pamplona, do you think they have a harder time finding a social group or a Camino "family" than the peregrinos who begin together at SJPdP or nearby? ... Once groups are formed, do you think new peregrinos are added?

Yes/Maybe. If you happen upon a larger number of pilgrims who started in St Jean and have walked the previous 150-175 km together it may be difficult to join such a group.
But as stated above pilgrim families form and unform as people stop for a rest day in Pamplona; have a couple of shorter days/others longer days.
I wouldn't specifically try to "push into" a group of people unless they ask you. The first 5 km out of Logrono is a mixture of shops/offices/residentals/parks, its only after you have passed the reservior that you will see who is a pilgrim and who is a local out for a walk. By the time you reach Navarette or Ventosa you may have a whole new extended family. So (imho) just "go with the flow" and see what the Camino Provides!! Cheers

People came go. Mostly you see people in albergue or at dinner. Biggest problem how to get away from people

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back