• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some experiences on Camino Portugues Costa

Keikochan

Time of past OR future Camino
3 past (2014, 2018, 2019) and 1 planned in August
Hi, everyone!

I came back from my 5th Camino a week ago, and I’d like to share some of my experiences in Camino Portugues-Costa and Variante Espiritual. It’s going to be long. I should have posted them little by little along the way, but because of the iPhone display too small for my worsening eyesight and the keyboard that doesn’t work well, I gave it up.

Blue arrows: From Fatima (where I started to walk) to Ansiao, you have to go opposite of blue arrows to Fatima as there hardly is yellow arrow pointing to Santiago. Going opposite is quite difficult as the applis I used don’t cover this route. I’m not the only one who got lost and walked the “carreterra” with signs to Ansiao. After Ansiao, the situation is better.

Bombeiros voluntarios: I fell down and hit my face on the road 2km before Ansiao. The passers-by helped me up and took me to the roadside garage, whose owner immediately brought me a plastic bag full of ice to cool my face and insisted to call the ambulance. When they came, they checked my pulse, blood pressure, oxygen density, eyeball movement, etc. and asked me if I wanted to go to hospital. As I refrained from it, they took me to the hotel I had booked, summoned its manager before check-in time, and told him to give me more ice. All for free! They are bombeiros voluntarios de Portugal. On the whole, Portuguese people are really kind and helpful you when you are in trouble.

Avalanche of peregrinos: This summer, there were so many peregrinos on Costa that a hospitalera in the municipal albergue in Labruge, one day from Porto, expressed it “avalanche”. She had to address more than 60 peregrinos sometimes while it has 50-some beds. I hope it’s over by now, but it’s true that demand for bed on Costa is far bigger than its supply at any time. So it may not be a bad idea to book an albergue or hostel when you can, especially if you are a slow walker and want to enjoy the way without having to rush and compete for bed with younger /faster peregrinos.

Baggage transfer along Costa: After having a severe back-ache on the second day on Costa, I tried the baggage transfer for the first time in my 5 Caminos. Top Santiago is the company (+351 969 021 000, www.topsantiago.com). They charge 8 euros till 20:00 the night before and 10 euros for the last minute’s booking including the day of transfer before 8:00. Their reputation is quite good among the Portuguese and Spanish and I wasn’t disappointed.

Entering into Spain: I cross the border at Caminha by boat. The boat people came to pick those up at the municipal albergue who want to cross the river Minho, at 6:30 in the morning. You don’t have to book in advance, just wait for them at the entrance. They took us in group of 4~5 in two cars to the landing, which is just the beach with no sign. (If it were one, it couldn’t be seen in such a dark hour.) Put us in a motor-boat and crossed the river in a few minutes to the opposite landing which has nothing but sand and the wooden walk. Cost 6 euros in all. You pay it before getting into the boat.

Complimentario: About 3~4km before Pontevedra, there is an alternative route to it with the sign saying “complimentario” pointing to the left. When I walked Central several years ago, I took the official route, so I tried “complimentario” this time and found it far more comfortable and beautiful than the other. It goes along a brook in the forest and ends very close to the albergue municipal. My recommendation.

Variante Espiritual: It’s a route you really need a great spirit. The first day to Armenteira has a lot of steep ups and downs, especially in the town of Combarro, but worth challenging. The albergue is not in the Monastery but about 400m away from it. They held a benediction for peregrinos at the Monastery at 20:00. The second day to Villanova de Arousa is much easier, except the exit from Armenteira. We were suggested to wait till sunrise to start so that we could see a bit difficult steps along a brook.

The boat from Arousa: There seem to be 2 companies operating the boat to Pontecesure, close to Padron. The one I took is operated by La Barca del Peregrino (+344 607 911 523, www.labarcadelperegrino.com) and cost 25 euros. It was a very nice voyage for about 1.5 hours. I made booking the day before in the morning and my name was second from the last of 30 passengers. There were 2 voyages at 6:00 and 12:30, but the time is not fixed due to the tide. If the tide is very low, the boat cannot go into the river. The captain made announcement in Spanish and English and served juice and cake. Relaxing and delightful day just right before the final etapa into Santiago.

Thank you for reading this long post. I have many more things to write, but afraid it’s going to be too long. Hope my experience can be of some help to those for thinking about the same route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I second what @Keikochan says about the "Complementario" route on the approach to Pontevedra being worth taking, even if it is a little longer than the main route along the road.

Wonderful info. Please write more if you feel like it. As a first timer to be this is exactly what I’m looking for—details. Thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I also completed my Portuguese Coastal Pilgrimage last week (5-10) and agree with your comments. TopSantiago was easy to work with a coordinate pick up and delivery of my backpack for a few days, then they picked up and stored the ‘extra’ items I decided to ship ahead to SdC. I also took the Spiritual Variant and loved it, but I started at a different starting point and got lost. Didn’t love that but leaned to stay on the official path.
Loved the boat ride to Pontecesures and the final walk into SdC.

We broke up the first day on the Variante and stayed in Combarro, which made the climb much more manageable and enjoyable. Combarro is a fun little town to explore

We broke up the first day on the Variante and stayed in Combarro, which made the climb much more manageable and enjoyable. Combarro is a fun little town to explore
We broke the Variante even more and were happy we did. Like you we stayed in Combarro then headed up the hill to Armentiera. In Armentiera we had lunch in one of the cafes and then attended a benediction in the chapel where the nuns sang and harmonised so beautifully that it brought tears to my eyes (I am not religious).
Then as we had the time we walked and enjoyed the wonderful water and stone path. Instead of racing to Vilanova de Arousa we stopped off at Os Castanos at a wonderful little hotel that we had dinner and breakfast with super friendly owners and staff.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, everyone!

I came back from my 5th Camino a week ago, and I’d like to share some of my experiences in Camino Portugues-Costa and Variante Espiritual. It’s going to be long. I should have posted them little by little along the way, but because of the iPhone display too small for my worsening eyesight and the keyboard that doesn’t work well, I gave it up.

Blue arrows: From Fatima (where I started to walk) to Ansiao, you have to go opposite of blue arrows to Fatima as there hardly is yellow arrow pointing to Santiago. Going opposite is quite difficult as the applis I used don’t cover this route. I’m not the only one who got lost and walked the “carreterra” with signs to Ansiao. After Ansiao, the situation is better.

Bombeiros voluntarios: I fell down and hit my face on the road 2km before Ansiao. The passers-by helped me up and took me to the roadside garage, whose owner immediately brought me a plastic bag full of ice to cool my face and insisted to call the ambulance. When they came, they checked my pulse, blood pressure, oxygen density, eyeball movement, etc. and asked me if I wanted to go to hospital. As I refrained from it, they took me to the hotel I had booked, summoned its manager before check-in time, and told him to give me more ice. All for free! They are bombeiros voluntarios de Portugal. On the whole, Portuguese people are really kind and helpful you when you are in trouble.

Avalanche of peregrinos: This summer, there were so many peregrinos on Costa that a hospitalera in the municipal albergue in Labruge, one day from Porto, expressed it “avalanche”. She had to address more than 60 peregrinos sometimes while it has 50-some beds. I hope it’s over by now, but it’s true that demand for bed on Costa is far bigger than its supply at any time. So it may not be a bad idea to book an albergue or hostel when you can, especially if you are a slow walker and want to enjoy the way without having to rush and compete for bed with younger /faster peregrinos.

Baggage transfer along Costa: After having a severe back-ache on the second day on Costa, I tried the baggage transfer for the first time in my 5 Caminos. Top Santiago is the company (+351 969 021 000, www.topsantiago.com). They charge 8 euros till 20:00 the night before and 10 euros for the last minute’s booking including the day of transfer before 8:00. Their reputation is quite good among the Portuguese and Spanish and I wasn’t disappointed.

Entering into Spain: I cross the border at Caminha by boat. The boat people came to pick those up at the municipal albergue who want to cross the river Minho, at 6:30 in the morning. You don’t have to book in advance, just wait for them at the entrance. They took us in group of 4~5 in two cars to the landing, which is just the beach with no sign. (If it were one, it couldn’t be seen in such a dark hour.) Put us in a motor-boat and crossed the river in a few minutes to the opposite landing which has nothing but sand and the wooden walk. Cost 6 euros in all. You pay it before getting into the boat.

Complimentario: About 3~4km before Pontevedra, there is an alternative route to it with the sign saying “complimentario” pointing to the left. When I walked Central several years ago, I took the official route, so I tried “complimentario” this time and found it far more comfortable and beautiful than the other. It goes along a brook in the forest and ends very close to the albergue municipal. My recommendation.

Variante Espiritual: It’s a route you really need a great spirit. The first day to Armenteira has a lot of steep ups and downs, especially in the town of Combarro, but worth challenging. The albergue is not in the Monastery but about 400m away from it. They held a benediction for peregrinos at the Monastery at 20:00. The second day to Villanova de Arousa is much easier, except the exit from Armenteira. We were suggested to wait till sunrise to start so that we could see a bit difficult steps along a brook.

The boat from Arousa: There seem to be 2 companies operating the boat to Pontecesure, close to Padron. The one I took is operated by La Barca del Peregrino (+344 607 911 523, www.labarcadelperegrino.com) and cost 25 euros. It was a very nice voyage for about 1.5 hours. I made booking the day before in the morning and my name was second from the last of 30 passengers. There were 2 voyages at 6:00 and 12:30, but the time is not fixed due to the tide. If the tide is very low, the boat cannot go into the river. The captain made announcement in Spanish and English and served juice and cake. Relaxing and delightful day just right before the final etapa into Santiago.

Thank you for reading this long post. I have many more things to write, but afraid it’s going to be too long. Hope my experience can be of some help to those for thinking about the same route.
Also found Top Santiago very professional and we communicated via WhatsApp and they responded very quickly.

I am glad we took the Complementario

Great details! Grateful for your insights. Unless I’ve been reading wrong, you’re one of the first to mention two boat rides?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for a useful post. We are considering the Portuguese for 2025, so this is useful intel.

Many thanks for your account of the Portuguese Coastal (litoral?) Camino. I walked it last April and May and attach my account. I found it much more crowded than any camino I have walked previously, and most of the places I had intended to stay in were booked out; so I had to use booking.com. I noted that many of the albergues were of a very high standard - some really beautiful - but in many the number of showers/WCs for the number of bunks was inadequate. On the Variante Espiritual I should have made a greater effort to find somewhere to stay between Armenteira and Vilanova de Arousa as I had plenty of spare days.

Attachments

• Caminho Portugués Por Costa memoire, 2023.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 85
Many thanks for your account of the Portuguese Coastal (litoral?) Camino. I walked it last April and May and attach my account. I found it much more crowded than any camino I have walked previously, and most of the places I had intended to stay in were booked out; so I had to use booking.com. I noted that many of the albergues were of a very high standard - some really beautiful - but in many the number of showers/WCs for the number of bunks was inadequate. On the Variante Espiritual I should have made a greater effort to find somewhere to stay between Armenteira and Vilanova de Arousa as I had plenty of spare days.
Thanks for sharing. It will be helpful as I start planning for my walk next spring.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks a lot for your comments and information.
Also found Top Santiago very professional and we communicated via WhatsApp and they responded very quickly.

Does anyone here know by chance whether they offer their services also during the winter season? Or do they only offer their service during the peak periods, i.e. from March to October?

I looked on their website, but didn't find any information on this issue.

Just a note that the monastery in Armenteira does have accommodations within the complex itself. They are private rooms with private bathrooms and includes a simple breakfast (coffee, tea, biscuits, etc). It feels like a hotel, really, as the rooms are modern. Staying there gives you access to parts of the complex at night if you’d like to attend other worship services at non-public hours.

As for the mention of two boats, one is to cross into Spain if you remain on the Coastal route instead of cutting inland to the Central like many people do, while the second is on the Spiritual Variant to reach Padron.

Just a note that the monastery in Armenteira does have accommodations within the complex itself. They are private rooms with private bathrooms and includes a simple breakfast (coffee, tea, biscuits, etc). It feels like a hotel, really, as the rooms are modern. Staying there gives you access to parts of the complex at night if you’d like to attend other worship services at non-public hours.

As for the mention of two boats, one is to cross into Spain if you remain on the Coastal route instead of cutting inland to the Central like many people do, while the second is on the Spiritual Variant to reach Padron.
I thought I read they stopped taking guests recently. Anyone???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought I read they stopped taking guests recently. Anyone???
We were able to book a room with 2 twin beds for one night in October after they had a cancellation. It was 70euros without breakfast. We felt immensely privileged to stay there even a little like we were intruding. The nuns were very very kind but also very shy so I couldn’t help feeling like they would rather be left alone. It could be just me though. I’m not religious so I always feel unworthy in religious places.

Oh, this was just a wonderful account. It's really helpful as I plan my Camino for the same time period. I'll be doing shorter stages along the way and how you broke up some of your days is helpful. I appreciate where you mention the difficult (steep) sections (that also sound so beautiful) as I am concerned about those and think I may send my pack ahead to make it easier on myself. I guess I'll see how I feel as I get closer.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back