• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some observations and impressions

Turga

Camino tortuga
Time of past OR future Camino
🐱. . . . . . . . .
Having returned from my first Camino just a few days ago, I have not yet really got my thoughts together to some coherent impression (if ever that happens) so this is just some random observations and impressions.

I found it so much easier to walk on the Camino than on my training walks back home. Being a “flat-lander” I had had some fear of the encounter with the mountains, but even there I felt better. Something made my walk seem easier
 Maybe just the beauty of the nature, maybe the thought that there was a goal, maybe the thought, that I was walking in the footsteps of millions of other pilgrims, maybe something else; I don’t know. And blisters? Not the slightest sign. Not even on the day that I had to leave in the morning on a 30 km. stretch with socks that were not all dry (I had made the mistake of washing all three pairs of socks the evening before).

Until after Sarria, I walked alone most of the time. Maybe because I was “out of sync” with the majority of pilgrims, as I generally started walking between 7:30 and 8 o’clock. And that was what I wanted, I wanted to walk alone but I never felt lonely. I specifically recall the quite challenging walk from Rabanal del Camino to Molinaseca. The weather was dramatic, quite cool with a strong wind pushing heavy clouds across the sky making the colors of the mountainsides change rapidly from almost black to bright green. Light showers now and then and gusts of wind that would almost blow you off the track. I really enjoyed walking there by myself as well as on the many other beautiful stretches.

Then how nice it was to reach the destination, unload the backpack, go to some bar and have a “cerveza grande” and chat with the other pilgrims, some of which I met again and again, before the daily ritual of showering and washing clothes.

I had chosen a “minimum-communication approach” in the sense, that I had told family and friends, that they should only contact me if really necessary. The only electronic device I had with me was my cellphone, primarily to use as a camera and secondarily in case of emergency. No mails, no SMS’es, no TV, no news - except what I heard on the grapevine on the way.

The weather was generally very good for walking. Except for the first 4-5 days when it was very hot after midday. The mornings were mostly cool until around noon and the afternoons pleasant 22-25 centigrade with drifting clouds and sun and a light wind. There were 3 or 4 days with thunderstorms and heavy rain, but it happened after 5 PM when I was long since at my destination for the day. The walk out of O’Cebreiro was an exception. An ice-cold morning with dense fog and a stiff wind that drained the heat out of you in 30 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I felt so cold. I didn’t start to feel warm again until after the descent from Alto do Poio towards Triacastela.

I arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago from A Rua around 2 PM and after having checked in to my nice hotel on Plaza San Miguel Dos Agros, I went to the Pilgrims Office to claim my Compostela. But I was simply put off by the length of the waiting line stretching out of the building and half way around the inner yard. So I decided to return early the next morning hoping to “beat the crowd”, but for various reasons I didn’t get there until after 10 PM the next day and the line was even longer stretching out in the yard and down the stairs to the street below. And there was a light rain too. Close to two hours it took before I finally got to the counter so I missed the Pilgrim’s Mass that day.

I had booked a bus excursion to Finisterre and Muxia the next day, but I decided to cancel it. First of all because I wanted to attend the Pilgrim’s Mass but also because I realized, that I would rather walk that way someday, maybe next spring.

I guess I belong to the category (if you’ll pardon the expression) that is sometimes denoted “non-practicing Christians” but still I found the Pilgrim’s Mass to be an emotional experience. My limited Spanish didn’t allow me to grasp all of it, but at some point near the end of the ceremony, everybody stood up, turned to each other, shook hands and said “gracias”. A young woman on the row behind me shook my hand, said “gracias” and handed me a small picture of The Virgin. I don’t know why but it was very sweet.

I spend the rest of the day just strolling around in the beautiful old part of Santiago together with all the other tourists with a good feeling of being ready to go home.

(And yes, I tried “Pulpo” and I didn’t much like it :p)

The only photo of me from my camino:

Pilgrim Shadow.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for sharing your experience. We will be heading out in around 2 weeks and I will also post a review of our experience when we get back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for sharing your experience. We will be heading out in around 2 weeks and I will also post a review of our experience when we get back.

Buen Camino to you!
Looking forward to read your review.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Having returned from my first Camino just a few days ago, I have not yet really got my thoughts together to some coherent impression (if ever that happens) so this is just some random observations and impressions.

I found it so much easier to walk on the Camino than on my training walks back home. Being a “flat-lander” I had had some fear of the encounter with the mountains, but even there I felt better. Something made my walk seem easier
 Maybe just the beauty of the nature, maybe the thought that there was a goal, maybe the thought, that I was walking in the footsteps of millions of other pilgrims, maybe something else; I don’t know. And blisters? Not the slightest sign. Not even on the day that I had to leave in the morning on a 30 km. stretch with socks that were not all dry (I had made the mistake of washing all three pairs of socks the evening before).

Until after Sarria, I walked alone most of the time. Maybe because I was “out of sync” with the majority of pilgrims, as I generally started walking between 7:30 and 8 o’clock. And that was what I wanted, I wanted to walk alone but I never felt lonely. I specifically recall the quite challenging walk from Rabanal del Camino to Molinaseca. The weather was dramatic, quite cool with a strong wind pushing heavy clouds across the sky making the colors of the mountainsides change rapidly from almost black to bright green. Light showers now and then and gusts of wind that would almost blow you off the track. I really enjoyed walking there by myself as well as on the many other beautiful stretches.

Then how nice it was to reach the destination, unload the backpack, go to some bar and have a “cerveza grande” and chat with the other pilgrims, some of which I met again and again, before the daily ritual of showering and washing clothes.

I had chosen a “minimum-communication approach” in the sense, that I had told family and friends, that they should only contact me if really necessary. The only electronic device I had with me was my cellphone, primarily to use as a camera and secondarily in case of emergency. No mails, no SMS’es, no TV, no news - except what I heard on the grapevine on the way.

The weather was generally very good for walking. Except for the first 4-5 days when it was very hot after midday. The mornings were mostly cool until around noon and the afternoons pleasant 22-25 centigrade with drifting clouds and sun and a light wind. There were 3 or 4 days with thunderstorms and heavy rain, but it happened after 5 PM when I was long since at my destination for the day. The walk out of O’Cebreiro was an exception. An ice-cold morning with dense fog and a stiff wind that drained the heat out of you in 30 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I felt so cold. I didn’t start to feel warm again until after the descent from Alto do Poio towards Triacastela.

I arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago from A Rua around 2 PM and after having checked in to my nice hotel on Plaza San Miguel Dos Agros, I went to the Pilgrims Office to claim my Compostela. But I was simply put off by the length of the waiting line stretching out of the building and half way around the inner yard. So I decided to return early the next morning hoping to “beat the crowd”, but for various reasons I didn’t get there until after 10 PM the next day and the line was even longer stretching out in the yard and down the stairs to the street below. And there was a light rain too. Close to two hours it took before I finally got to the counter so I missed the Pilgrim’s Mass that day.

I had booked a bus excursion to Finisterre and Muxia the next day, but I decided to cancel it. First of all because I wanted to attend the Pilgrim’s Mass but also because I realized, that I would rather walk that way someday, maybe next spring.

I guess I belong to the category (if you’ll pardon the expression) that is sometimes denoted “non-practicing Christians” but still I found the Pilgrim’s Mass to be an emotional experience. My limited Spanish didn’t allow me to grasp all of it, but at some point near the end of the ceremony, everybody stood up, turned to each other, shook hands and said “gracias”. A young woman on the row behind me shook my hand, said “gracias” and handed me a small picture of The Virgin. I don’t know why but it was very sweet.

I spend the rest of the day just strolling around in the beautiful old part of Santiago together with all the other tourists with a good feeling of being ready to go home.

(And yes, I tried “Pulpo” and I didn’t much like it :p)

The only photo of me from my camino:

View attachment 36218
Thank you for sharing . Sounds like you had a wonderful experience.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Congratulations, well done. :)

Sounds amazing :) Well done.

I remember such similar feelings! From the tough descent to Molinaseca, to just checking in on my cell to let my wife know I was fine, to surprise snow at O Cebreiro, to the experiences in Santiago both at the church and pilgrims office. This was during April/May, with precious little rain (also a surprise).
Loved it all and can't wait to do it again

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beautiful Hope your after Camino experiences surpass your incredible journey.

Thank you for sharing your observations and impressions! I remember your post about experience pre-camino syndrome when I was in the throes of the same thing and preparing for mine this summer! Wondering if you are now experiencing post-camino syndrome as I am and if you have any plans to return? :)

I really enjoyed reading your account. I tried to prepare with limited time ahead of my camino by doing some training walks, mostly around 10 - 15 km and found myself struggling to do those and also ended up re-igniting an old knee injury. I honestly was not sure I was going to be able to do the camino to be honest. But like you, somehow I was able to do those 25 - 30 km days, to my astonishment. Also once I found those knee support bandages thank God my knee problems were not too severe. Like you, I wonder if it was something about the camino or maybe having that goal each day, but something made it possible and I'm very grateful for that. I definitely remember Rabanal de Camino to Molinaseca as being very challenging for me with all the steep downhill and my knees, but it was also very beautiful and quiet.

Glad you had a Buen Camino!

Thank you for sharing your observations and impressions! I remember your post about experience pre-camino syndrome when I was in the throes of the same thing and preparing for mine this summer! Wondering if you are now experiencing post-camino syndrome as I am and if you have any plans to return? :)

I really enjoyed reading your account. I tried to prepare with limited time ahead of my camino by doing some training walks, mostly around 10 - 15 km and found myself struggling to do those and also ended up re-igniting an old knee injury. I honestly was not sure I was going to be able to do the camino to be honest. But like you, somehow I was able to do those 25 - 30 km days, to my astonishment. Also once I found those knee support bandages thank God my knee problems were not too severe. Like you, I wonder if it was something about the camino or maybe having that goal each day, but something made it possible and I'm very grateful for that. I definitely remember Rabanal de Camino to Molinaseca as being very challenging for me with all the steep downhill and my knees, but it was also very beautiful and quiet.

Thanks for your kind reply. It sounds like you also had a good Camino.
Post-camino syndrom? Not really as I already decided to return next spring - which is thought to be the best cure ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I have really had a bad case of post camino syndrome. I stay somewhat connected to friends I met along the way, and look forward to this forum every week. Spend a little time researching other routes such as the Invierno and del Norte.
It's consuming.

Yes Richmond Gartner, it definitely seems that way! I'm enjoying being able to connect with other pilgrims online here and reading about the camino, it definitely helps with the "post-camino" feelings of missing it etc. As does planning the next one I'm sure! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back