• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some suggested updates to the Camino Mozarabe guide

debigetsout

Donating Member
Time of past OR future Camino
all
Our suggestions for updates to the Mozerabe Guide

1.Ocaña: We had some trouble finding the albergue. Keep following the Camino route and look for the blue albergue marker beside the church. The street name is different from what's in the guide - it's called Calle Machero.

2.Dólar: There is a nice bakery and bar (Los Gemelos) in Dólar, perfect for a first or second coffee break after leaving Huéneja. The bakery is on-site.

3.Alquife: Albergue privado Lacho can be difficult to find. There are three houses with number 14 on the albergue street! The albergue is all the way up the hill on the street, almost at the end, on the LEFT side, where you'll find a sign saying "Albergue Lacho".

4.Cerro Muriano: The hostel in Cerro Muriano can also be tricky to find. Restaurant Hostal X is (part of) Restaurant Equis, on the RIGHT side of the road when walking down the Camino into town.

5. Between Cerro Muriano and Villaharta, you pass through the village, El Vacar. Peregrinos typically stop at the first bar they find for coffee and food. This is not recommended! It took some time to get over this food experience. If you walk a couple hundred metres further you will find a splendid panaderia/bakery!

6. Non-potable water from Guillermen-Alcaracejos-Hinojosa del Duque: We heard from Rosa in Mina Guillermin that the tap water is not drinkable there. This is also the case in Alcaracejos and Hinojosa del Duque due to water shortage and the poor water quality in the reservoirs. Important: Pilgrims should BUY BOTTLED WATER in these places. This information is crucial and should be added to the guide, as it's been the case since April 2023.

7.Alcaracejos: The owner of Hostal César in Alcaracejos informed us that they no longer operate the hostal. This hostal should be removed from the guide, or if there is a new owner the telephone number needs to be updated.

8.Hinojosa del Duque to Monterrubio de la Serena: A taxi to Monterrubio (to shorten the 33,75 km stage) will cost around 40 euros (as of March 1, 2024). This is because the taxi has to come from Hinojosa to pick you up.

Also, the new, alternative route near Monterrubio adds an extra 2km to the stage. The total distance from Hinojosa to Monterrubio is therefore 33,75km unless pilgrims take the road at the end, which shortens it to 31,75km. The Camino arrows point in the direction of the new route, so pilgrims will most likely walk 33.75km. The good news is that is it is largely on natural paths, instead of along a paved road. Worth the detour!

9.Campanario: We recommend Albergue La Estación as the preferred place to stay, as Pension Malay has horrible beds and is dirty. Our opinion is that the owner seems to be taking advantage of pilgrims, at both his restaurant in the centre of town (10 euros for a very small basic salad) and at his truly awful Hostal.

10. Medellín: Pabellón is a gymnastics center. If pilgrims want to stay there, they can get the key from the local police, as stated in the guide. However, pilgrims should be aware that the center is actively used. When we were there, we could only enter to rest and sleep after the adults finished their workouts at 9:00 PM.

11. Medellín to Torrefresnada: The stretch along the road is dangerous due to the high speed of cars and trucks (80+ km/hour) especially when busy. There's enough space to walk, but it's right next to the white line on the side of the road.

12. Alternative river route for Torrefresnada stage: The river road might not be passable for pilgrims given the amount of water in the river Burdalo. Pilgrims need to ask the local police station in the Ayuntamiento of Medellín, if the passage through the Burdalo River is passable. If it is: after Yelbes, continue straight on, cross the Rio Burdalo, and walk directly to San Pedro de Mérida. This route bypasses Santa Amalia and Torrefresnada, saving several kilometres and avoiding highway walking. This is most likely the better option during summer and dry periods. On 6 march 2024 it was not passable, water was above hips and current was too strong.

We don't know where to send these suggestions for the next edition of the guide, so someone please let us know! We want to post this to the forum now as we know that March-April are busy times for the CM.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We don't know where to send these suggestions for the next edition of the guide, so someone please let us know!
Hi, @debigetsout, I’ve been in touch with Mercedes about another matter, so I just stuck in a link to your post and asked her if she would like you to mail it to someone specific, to the association, etc. The beauty of the guide is that it’s updated monthly, so it won’t be a huge production for someone to input the changes.

Very helpful information, and glad to see (on another thread) that you haven’t lost a minute between getting home from camino 2024 and starting to plan camino 2025. :p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, @debigetsout, I’ve been in touch with Mercedes about another matter, so I just stuck in a link to your post and asked her if she would like you to mail it to someone specific, to the association, etc. The beauty of the guide is that it’s updated monthly, so it won’t be a huge production for someone to input the changes.

Very helpful information, and glad to see (on another thread) that you haven’t lost a minute between getting home from camino 2024 and starting to plan camino 2025. :p
Thanks so much, Laurie! Yes, you will be hearing more from me on the Lana page soon, I hope! debi

Thanks so much, Laurie! Yes, you will be hearing more from me on the Lana page soon, I hope! debi
Mercedes already responded — she has seen your post, thanks you very much, and will get right on it! Her words (my translation) — The information that they convey is very interesting and important. She also said that she will be sure to forward the info on to the associations in Córdoba and Badajoz, because they are very good about communicating updates with them in Almería.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mercedes already responded — she has seen your post, thanks you very much, and will get right on it! Her words (my translation) — The information that they convey is very interesting and important. She also said that she will be sure to forward the info on to the associations in Córdoba and Badajoz, because they are very good about communicating updates with them in Almería.
Hello!
I am looking to walk from Almeria to Merida starting on the 10th or 11th of April. Are there any links you could include to help with my planning of towns/hostel stops. I have walked via del plata and st james way previously but have always been lucky in not having to forward plan too much. I've used "gronze" , and "godescaldo" especially to have an idea of distances between towns but sadly the mozorabe way is not listed here. I've always been able to cover quite large distances each day and would like to plan similar this time around.
Many thanks in advance,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for this. I have returned to it now and can see that once I'm opening up the stages I can now see all of the intermediate points and villages. Previously I had struggled to on my phone and was a bit concerned that perhaps the path was a little more desolate that i'd fist imaged! So thank you for prompting me back! Can I ask have you walked this way? I fly into Malaga and keep jumping between whether to start from there or get the bus to Almeria and go from there as first planned. Any recommendations? I really did love the via del plata when I walked this in 2022, and have opted for one of the Mozarabe routes as I like the lesser walked options. The french way was great and memorable for my first camino, but the via del plata really topped it in comparison for me.

I have walked the Mozarabe from Malaga but that was several years ago before Covid. So I am not up to date on accommodation and so on. The two sites which stick out in my mind particularly are the Neolithic burial mounds on the edge of Antequera and the ruins of an ancient adobe village near Campanario - both well worth taking time to visit. The scale of the Antequera mounds is extraordinary.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hello @peregrina2000, can you please provide more details about the referenced Mozarabe guide. I have found an 'Almeria to Granada walking guide' attached to a separate thread, but I presume you are referring to a separate guide. Thanks in advance 🙏

Are there any links you could include to help with my planning of towns/hostel stops.
can you please provide more details about the referenced Mozarabe guide. I have found an 'Almeria to Granada walking guide' attached to a separate thread, but I presume you are referring to a separate guide.
Here is a good thread to get started. Although it is dated a few years back, the various links should still pick up the more recent posts. There are links to the Almeria Asociacion website and Facebook pages. Near the top of the website, see "HAZ CLIC SOBRE EL ENLACE GUIA MARZO 2024 v2" and you can download the latest version of their guide, which is mostly in Spanish.

Here is a good thread to get started. Although it is dated a few years back, the various links should still pick up the more recent posts. There are links to the Almeria Asociacion website and Facebook pages. Near the top of the website, see "HAZ CLIC SOBRE EL ENLACE GUIA MARZO 2024 v2" and you can download the latest version of their guide, which is mostly in Spanish.
Thank you @C clearly, much appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello!
I am looking to walk from Almeria to Merida starting on the 10th or 11th of April. Are there any links you could include to help with my planning of towns/hostel stops. I have walked via del plata and st james way previously but have always been lucky in not having to forward plan too much. I've used "gronze" , and "godescaldo" especially to have an idea of distances between towns but sadly the mozorabe way is not listed here. I've always been able to cover quite large distances each day and would like to plan similar this time around.
Many thanks in advance,
Are you sure, I built my entire itinerary for later this year, including stops and accommodation solely off https://www.gronze.com/camino-mozarabe. My one concern is a repeat of last year's temperatures 🔥🔥 and possibly the odd stage where there is 15km+ between food or more importantly water stops. Plan to digest the information forwarded by @C clearly later tonight.

Last edited:
Are you sure, I built my entire itinerary for later this year, including stops and accommodation solely off https://www.gronze.com/camino-mozarabe. My one concern is a repeat of last year's temperatures 🔥🔥 and possibly the odd stage where there is 15km+ between food or more importantly water stops. Plan to digest the information forwarded by @C clearly later tonight.
Hi,
I went back onto gronze with my laptop after @Bradypus kindly pointed me back towards it and managed to see the breakdown within each of the stages. I was being too hastey before! ah yes, the weather too is a concern. I am used to long stretches without food and water so have become accustomed to carrying 3-4l of water. Luckily I don't have much of an appetite when walking so get by on dried fruit and nuts normally through the day and then eat my substantial meal in the late afternoon. I appreciate all the info being included by everyone

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back