• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some thoughts about walking the camino

milda90

I'm a swedish girl who's been longing to talk the camino for years. I have some months to do whatever I want before I start my new job. So I figured, why not :)

Some things bothers me though, and makes me put the date forward all the time.

I don't really enjoy traveling alone. Maybe the camino could be an eye opener for me, but I'm not ready just yet to hang out only with myself for a month.

I've read different things, that it could be a lonely walk, but also the opposite; that you're never by yourself on the trails. Maybe some of you could clear this up for me. Also, I plan to walk in the end of aug/beginning of sept- are there any certain dates or days in the week when crowds tend to depart? Also as a girl walking by herself, I'm thinking it could be dangerous.

I also have some anxiety issues. I can feel really anxious when I'm not close to my home and Spain is quite the bit away from where I live. I think being occupied and walking could be okay, but I'm still frightened that I'll have to cancel after just some days ....

I think that I _could_ walk the camino but I'm scared as hell of going out there. I've also had issues with agoraphobia in the past, and while I consider myself more or less cured- I'm still terrified of the thought of being out in a completely open field with nowhere to hide. I try to convince myself that to get 'cured', the only way is to get out there...

Mentally I'm not far away from going to St Jean Pied de Port, but somehow I can't convince myself to put one feet in front of the other and get there. To walk the camino for me would certainly mean that I challenge my old demons! But I think I'm up for it.

When it comes to the packing I feel pretty confident at least :)

If anyone has any thoughts about my ramblings, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Milda

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have fun planning! You will get many recommendations and much advice. Buen camino if you decide to go.:)

You've taken the first step already and Falcon269 is right "...have fun!" The time of the season you indicate should be well trodden by fellow pilgrims. Keep the Forum up to date as you continue to walk the Way,

Buen Camino

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will put this up again; it's a little over 300 years old but still very fitting if gender marred:
"There's no discouragement
Shall make him relent
His first avowed intent
To be a pilgrim"
J. Bunyan
Pilgrim's Progress

Another thought, I know that many Danish people can manage Swedish but I don't know if Swedes can do Danish. Try this, the Danish television did a series on the Camino with Mikael Bertelsen and all 9 or 10 or 11 parts of the series were available on the internet. I don't manage in Danish or Swedish but I found this use it as an introduction and look for all the series.

http://www.pilgrimsvandring.dk/pilg...n-på-caminoen-en-moderne-pilgrims-bekendelser

PS I met Bertelsen when he was filming the series, twice actually just after Vilafranca del Bierzo, and no he didn't walk it all but the film crews got great footage of him leaving in the morning and coming in that evening. No matter, it brought thousands of Protestant and secular Danish people to the Camino the year after!

Heya Milda

Walking the Camino, you need to worry less than walking through a large city, like Stockholm, just use common sense and be naturally observant.
You will only be alone, when and if you want to. Any days in Aug/Sep are busy, you'll be surprised how many folks from all over the world share the same walk, the same pains and laughter, food and drinks. Never hesitate to ask questions and be curious: you'll learn more than any books can teach you, about other customs in other countries, opions, point of views, ways of people... but especially about yourself.

You'll never feel lonely, except when you want. Ultreya and buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Milda, do not be scared! A lot of women walk alone, both young and old.
There is always a lot of people on the camino at that time of the year. You can choose to be alone or choose to be social, but you will not be alone on the camino.
There are stretches on the meseta between Burgos and Leon where you could feel you had nowhere to hide, but then you can choose to walk with somebody.
On my caminos I am not very social, but I use to study my fellowperegrinos. I have often seen young people walking alone without friends for some days, but suddenly they have become a part of a group and my " motherheart" is happy with them.
What I often have felt on the camino is that people is caring about other people asking if you are ok or need some help and things like that.
You can send me a message if you want to ask some questions in Swedish.
There is by the way a Danish pilgrimpage on facebook, Danske Santiagopilgrimer, that is very active, they have an internetpage too.

Yes Scruffy1, Scandinavians do understand each other!

Ranthr? I have never met a Finnish pilgrim, they can probably talk with Hungarians but with who else?

Ranthr? I have never met a Finnish pilgrim, they can probably talk with Hungarians but with who else?
Finland is not a part of Scandinavia but a part of Norden. But Finland also have Swedish as an official language so in parts of the country people speak a Scandinavian language. In the North some people speak Samish/lappish language as here i the north of Norway and in the North of Sweden!
Sorry, Milda, for intruding your post!
Randi

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a swedish girl who's been longing to talk the camino for years. I have some months to do whatever I want before I start my new job. So I figured, why not :)

I don't really enjoy traveling alone. Maybe the camino could be an eye opener for me, but I'm not ready just yet to hang out only with myself for a month.

I've read different things, that it could be a lonely walk, but also the opposite; that you're never by yourself on the trails. Maybe some of you could clear this up for me. Also, I plan to walk in the end of aug/beginning of sept- are there any certain dates or days in the week when crowds tend to depart? Also as a girl walking by herself, I'm thinking it could be dangerous.

I also have some anxiety issues. I can feel really anxious when I'm not close to my home and Spain is quite the bit away from where I live. I think being occupied and walking could be okay, but I'm still frightened that I'll have to cancel after just some days ....

I think that I _could_ walk the camino but I'm scared as hell of going out there. I've also had issues with agoraphobia in the past, and while I consider myself more or less cured- I'm still terrified of the thought of being out in a completely open field with nowhere to hide. I try to convince myself that to get 'cured', the only way is to get out there...

Mentally I'm not far away from going to St Jean Pied de Port, but somehow I can't convince myself to put one feet in front of the other and get there. To walk the camino for me would certainly mean that I challenge my old demons! But I think I'm up for it.

Milda

Milda

Pack your bag Matilda and get out there on the camino!! You can do it!!

My new husband, Robert, and I are also going on the camino. We leave Tampa FL on 21 August, fly into Barcelona, and then travel to SJPP. We plan to depart from SJPP around 23/24 August to commence our camino heading to Santiago. Once there, we also plan to trek over to Finesterre! Look for us, we're the old farts going "oh my god! Look at that mountain!" (I'm actually a mountain girl from Tennessee USA, but my husband and I have lived in Florida for 20+ years. The highest hills here are bridge overpasses! HA! We look forward to meeting you (and all the other pilgrims along the path). I've been planning this trip for 4.5 years and I am so psyched about going. My husband agreed to make it our honeymoon trip so we're having a walk & talk with God in addition to spending some primo time with one another.

So pack your gear tonight and get those feet moving towards SJPP! You will be so happy you did it! God will watch over you and protect you, and your guardian angels shall ride atop your pack making sure you are safe, happy, and free from your fears.

Buen Camino
Becca & Robert

Milda
Milda, welcome to the forum! Agoraphobia can be so debilitating but not impossible to overcome. You can do it! Enjoy your planning and buenas suerte and Buen Camino!

Milda, I'm much older than you, walking alone, starting next week, and my mind too is going clickety-clack, clickety-clack with 1001 fears, most of which will probably never eventuate. Try not to wear yourself out with worries, book your ticket and go. If you should have to go home after a few days, so what? At least you will have got out of your room, and out of your house, and out of your city, and out of your county..... Hey, you've got the packing sorted, so already you're doing better than me. ;)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Look at the thread "September 2014 Peregrinos". You will see lots of people are around at this time. And remember those on this forum are just a fraction of those walking. Beun Camino all of you above who are about to start their first Camino, I envy you having your eyes opened by it! As the English metaphysical poet John Donne once said "Roll all your strength into one mighty ball and crash against the gates of hell"

Milda
Hi Milda, I have posted this quote before because so many of us have lots of concerns before doing the Camino. The quote is both funny and apropos.
“When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened”
as5.gif
Winston Churchill quotes (British Orator, Author and Prime Minister during World War II. 1874-1965)

Buen Camino!

We walked with a woman and her aunt for about a week last year. They were both from Finland. She spoke almost perfect English, along with Finnish and Swedish. Her aunt spoke broken English but got along fine with her niece translating for her. Wonderful people, and actually some of the people we are still in contact with after a year :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Milda90, you will get along fine by yourself. Although my wife and I had each other to walk with, we met many wonderful people who walked alone. They actually had the advantage, if they wanted to be alone, they could be. If they wanted to walk with others, it is not hard to "hook up" with someone else or even a group of others. You don't even have to be a "social butterfly", just say hi to someone and you are on your way to having a walking partner :)

Finland?--Had the Honor and Privilege of walking along with the Blind guy from Finland , his wife, their two children in a baby carriage and their guide dog in June. They walked all the way to the Ocean!

We met several women who were walking alone. They didn't walk alone for long if they didn't want to - you kind of fall into a Camino family very quickly if you want to.

In my experience, meeting people usually goes something along these lines: You check into an alberque and claim your bed. You bunk neighbor introduces him or herself. You chat with someone else while waiting to use the shower. While you are hanging up laundry, someone recognizes you because you were at the same place they were having a cafe con leche earlier in the day, so now you are introduced. Now you know 3 new people. After you get yourself settled in, you walk out to the bar for a snack, and you notice one or two of your new acquaintances sitting there, so you sit down and then they introduce you to their friends and someone buys you a beer. In the space of an hour, you have met 8 new people and gotten a free beer. The next morning, when you are leaving, a couple people you met the day before are also leaving, so you walk with them. By lunch time you are best friends.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Milda

Milda
I have the same fears , lets start it off together , can you go mid may or early june ?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back