• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Space at hostels last two weeks in April 2011?

onthemove

I plan to walk alone from Leon to Santiago de Compostela from mid to end of April 2011. Seeing as Easter falls right in the middle of my dates I was wondering if someone can advise me if it would be a problem getting accomodation along the route. Is it necessary to book in advance/is this a possibility at all or are the hostels on a first come first served basis each day? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Municipal and parochial albergues are first come, first serve. Private albergues may take reservations. Hostals and hotels usually take reservation. It generally is reported that the "Camino provides" and a bed is always available. That has been my experience, but it is no guarantee. Many beds were added last year to take advantage of the Holy Year crowds. This year it should become excess capacity. Still, it is no guarantee.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip. Yes, seeing as last year was a Holy Year it would make sense that there will be extra options to find a bed even this year, especially around Easter, which I presume is one of the busiest times of the year. I'll book my trip today and throw caution to the wind;-) Can't wait to get started now, have been meaning to do this walk for years!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Via de la Plata in April and May of 2006.

on the Saturday of the Easter weekend I got caught in a city with, my guidebook said, no albergues (pilgrims hostals) I walked around town from 5:00pm until 7:00 pm and found no room in hotel after hotel. My guidebook said their was an albergue in the first village, 17 kms up the camino.

Rather than walk another 3 hours and arrive very late, I jumped in a taxi and found a bed in the next village. Problem solved. In talking with the pilgrims there, I found out there was an albergue in Merida. But it was no big deal.

Everything will work out.
David, Victoria, Canada.

Oh dear... now I am worried. I just decided to leave my sleepingmat at home. I read somewhere on this forum that it is not a big problem on de Camino Frances in the villages. That the problem can be in the bigger city's. I am planning to stay in the Refugios but a hostal or hotel is also an option, and if I follow my schedule I will be in Ponferrada on Saturday the 23th of April. Is it wise to book a hotel?

I wouldn't want to tie my whole Camino to one hotel reservation in the middle. It sort of kills spontenaity. My personal choice would be to go without a reservation, so I didn't have to arrive in a particular city on a certain day.

I'm a firm believer that everything will work out. Heard stories of pilgrims spending a night in the door alcove of a church. It's not so bad and makes a good story when you get home. I've heard lots of summer stories of sleeping under the stars because the weather was so beautiful. Haven't seen it, or done it inperson though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I start the Via de la Plata on March 31st. I have reserved a room at Hotel Don Juan [love the name] in Salamanca for Easter Thursday and Easter Friday. I booked this some months ago, and found that most of the hotels there wanted at least a 3 day booking before they would accept a reservation at Easter time. I do not feel my camino is compromised because I have a set date to be in Salamanca, as I have days either side of that time that are flexible as to whether I walk or not. I am looking forward to Salamanca immensely. I am comfortable with my decision. :D

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous

Alan, will you be doing a blog on your Via de la Plata? It would be so good to read about your trip.
I am hoping to walk that Way in April/May 2012 All info gratefully accepted.
Buen Camino
Heather

Hi Heather

I doubt that I will do a blog of my journey. Laurie has done a very good one and I would defer to her and others :) I will certainly keep a diary of the days doings and if anything of note occurs, I may post it on the forum after I get home.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
skilsaw said:
I wouldn't want to tie my whole Camino to one hotel reservation in the middle. It sort of kills spontenaity. My personal choice would be to go without a reservation, so I didn't have to arrive in a particular city on a certain day.

I'm a firm believer that everything will work out. Heard stories of pilgrims spending a night in the door alcove of a church. It's not so bad and makes a good story when you get home. I've heard lots of summer stories of sleeping under the stars because the weather was so beautiful. Haven't seen it, or done it inperson though.

Yes, afcourse you are right! I will take it as it comes.
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back