• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Speedy Transfer between terminals at Madrid airport

C-Team2

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July 2012 Camino Frances' April MAy 2013 Chemin Le Puy from Montcuq to Roncesvailes
May 2014 CAmino Ingles'
Will 90 minutes be enough time to get between terminal one, passport control on the bus to terminal 4 and through security to the gate? I will not have to pick up luggage and will be pre checked in for my second flight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If all goes well, you'll have plenty of time. The bus from T1 to T4 takes about 20 minutes.

Going in direction T1 to T4, you want to be on the 1st Floor at the departures level.
(Going direction T4 to T1, you have to be on the Arrivals level, which is the Planta Baja, Lower level)

The bus runs every 5 minutes between 6:30 a.m. and 23:30.

From 23:30 - 1:50 a.m. it runs every 20 minutes; from 1:50 -6:30, every 40 minutes)

In my experience, going through Immigration in Barajas is usually pretty fast, but of course if several big flights all land at once you may get long lines.

Getting to your gate at T4 might be a long haul. But it's very well marked, with lots of indication about how much time it will take (though the times posted are very generous and you usually arrive in much less time than they indicate).

A tip -- The elevators in T4 are usually much quicker than the escalators because of the distances between upper and lower levels.

Buen camino! Laurie

Laurie, is this the Conda (movelia) bus or the ALSA?

I need to give my pilgrims instructions on catching the bus from Madrid Airport (T4) to Pamplona.
I found the movelia website has more buses listed and you can purchase the tickets online.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is it possible to walk between the terminals?

You can easily walk between Terminals T1, T2 and T3 but need to take the free shuttle bus from any of these terminals to T4 (about 9 minutes from T4 to T1, less to the others).

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Will 90 minutes be enough time to get between terminal one, passport control on the bus to terminal 4 and through security to the gate? I will not have to pick up luggage and will be pre checked in for my second flight.

Hello c-team2,

90 minutes should be plenty of time if there are no other contingencies like flight delay, long queie at immigration, etc. you are coming in from the usa and madrid barajas is quite a big airport.

Good luck and buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Did you have enough time? I'm in the same situation. I arrive in Madrid 7:55am, flying in from Toronto and would like to catch the 10am bus from T4 to Astorga. How was your walk?

Did you have enough time? I'm in the same situation. I arrive in Madrid 7:55am, flying in from Toronto and would like to catch the 10am bus from T4 to Astorga. How was your walk?

The arrival time is usually the time the plane touches on the runway. Add time for taxiing.

I would not assume the plane will arrive on time.

It will take minimum 30 minutes to get off the plane and get your baggage.

Sometimes in Madrid the planes stop on the tarmac and a bus is used to shuttle people from the plane to the terminal. Add time for this.

Passport control consists of checking your documents so its fast but there could be a long line up.

Shuttle runs every 5 minutes and takes 10 minutes. So allow minimum 15 minutes.

The bus leaves at the appointed time. If you are not on it the door closes and the bus moves. So you need to be there 1o minutes before the bus leaves, more if you don't already have a ticket.

Plan B

Take EMT Madrid #200 bus from T1 to Intercambiador de Avenida de America.
http://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto?lang=es-ES

Catch the 1100 PLM Autocares bus from Avenida de America to Pamplona. Or
http://plmautocares.com/

Catch the 1100 ALSA bus from Avenida de America to Pamplona via Zaragosa. There is another bus at 1200.
https://www.alsa.es/en

I note there is not a 1000 bus schedule from T4 (based on 7 Sept).

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back