• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation for Madrid airport

Marileep

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago March 2024
Hi,
We are finalizing our Camino trip. We have a early flight back. Any suggestions for accommodation nearby Adolfo Suarez Madrid- Barajas airport? Ideally with a shuttle ...
Thanks
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
We are finalizing our Camino trip. We have a early flight back. Any suggestions for accommodation nearby Adolfo Suarez Madrid- Barajas airport? Ideally with a shuttle ...
Thanks
Buen Camino
Hello. The closest town to the Airport is Barajas and it is one stop from the airport on the metro though if you are making an early start it won’t be running. I am there quite a bit, albeit just for a few hours prior to catching late night flights. I just like it there. It’s quite an authentic Spanish town, well to a degree, without the feel of an airport town. I don’t tend to stay a lot overnight but many on here do and Hostel Viky gets offered up as a good place. There is always a lot of talk re the shuttle buses so maybe wait a few hours till morning on the east and west coast USA and Canada and someone will be along with thoughts or the do a search on Viky/ Barajas. Defo recall a few folks having an issue with shuttle buses for some of the hotac, so be sure to wait for some thoughts. Booking.com normally throws up 10-15 options from about €50-60 per room night. Plenty of decent and cheap restaurants.

Last edited:
I have stayed in hotels in Barajas a few times and it is convenient. It is one metro stop to / from the airport. Taxis from the airport are 20€ (a flat fee) and less than that (about 12€) to the airport if you have an early flight. I’ve used Booking.com to reserve a hotel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a Marriott member and usually stay for free on points at either the AC Coslada or the Madrid Marriott Conference and Convention center. Both have free shuttles and you don't have to call them from the airport. I usually arrive in Madrid and go sleep at one of these places to overcome jetlag and then continue travels in the morning. You can shuttle back to the airport for free and use transit options like bus, Cercanias train, to get to your train or bus station for the next leg of the journey. Also used these for planning my return although we have also stayed downtown and either taken the Airport Express bus (5 or 6 euros) which runs through the night or a taxi which has a set fee. Last year it was 30 euros.

AC Coslada does have a bar/restaurant. It is perfect simply for sleeping as it is quiet and there is nothing else to do there.

The Convention Center is also very nice. Excellent pool and workout facility. Giant breakfast buffet, bars, restaurants inside. Twice we've eaten at a Basque place just behind called 7 de Julio and enjoyed that.

Usually reasonable if you have to pay, especially compared to US prices.

Last edited:
I really liked the Hotel Nuevo Boston. They have a free 24 hour shuttle, but you need to call them when you are ready to be picked up.
Very nice rooms and comfortable beds. Price is 72-100 euros a night, book direct, better rate.
Excellent breakfast, but that is extra.
Loved to rest there after long flight from Canada , then ready to go next day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Years ago, I had an early flight, before the Metro started running. I stayed in Barajas at Hotel Don Luis and walked to the airport. It took 15 - 20 minutes. I did the walk the afternoon before my flight to make sure that it was walkable (i.e., no tall fences, etc.).

Hi,
Thanks
Buen Camino
When possible we stay at "Hostal Viky" in Barajas. They have complimentary shuttle service (use WhatsApp). They are clean convenient and the small town is charming with most amenities

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just be aware that if you stay in Barajas and take the metro to the airport (one stop, very doable), there is an airport supplement on the ticket price. if I remember correctly the price for one stop on the metro is over €4. But walking never appealed to me as the traffic always looked much too busy.

Hotel Viky is a decent place with a 24hr shuttle and just a block or two from grocery stores, bar/cafes, restaurants, and the town square. The desk attendant drives the shuttle, too, so you can arrange the ride back to the airport when you check-in. We found that simply walking to/from the airport was easy enough and had zero traffic on our short route given it was early morning.

Hi,
Thanks
Buen Camino
Check out Nuevo Boston. near the airport with shuttle service. 3 star with restaurants. I paid 68 euros and would have happily paid more after having stayed there

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
Thanks
Buen Camino
I stayed at Hostelfly in Barajas, which is in walking distance of the airport. It even has a swimming pool in the courtyard. Very reasonably priced!

Hello. The closest town to the Airport is Barajas and it is one stop from the airport on the metro though if you are making an early start it won’t be running. I am there quite a bit, albeit just for a few hours prior to catching late night flights. I just like it there. It’s quite an authentic Spanish town, well to a degree, without the feel of an airport town. I don’t tend to stay a lot overnight but many on here do and Hostel Viky gets offered up as a good place. There is always a lot of talk re the shuttle buses so maybe wait a few hours till morning on the east and west coast USA and Canada and someone will be along with thoughts or the do a search on Viky/ Barajas. Defo recall a few folks having an issue with shuttle buses for some of the hotac, so be sure to wait for some thoughts. Booking.com normally throws up 10-15 options from about €50-60 per room night. Plenty of decent and cheap restaurants.
I took a cab, flat rate 20 Euros. I stayed at the Ibis, there were cabs outside 24/7. Could probably find a less expensive hotel/hotel. I also like Barajas, there are supposed to some really nice parks nearby..
Next time.😎

The Madrid airport hotels are in a terrible location even with the free shuttle service.! There are no restaurants or anything else in the local area. Food options are mostly limited to the hotel restaurant.

I find it is far better to stay in Madrid off Plaza Puerta del Sol area where there any many cheap rooms available and even more restaurant and bars. In the morning, walk or take the Metro to the Atocha train station and take the Cercanias train directly to the airport. it is almost as convenient as the hotel shuttle any much, much better food options!

-Paul

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed at the Airport Hilton and was very pleased with the service. I intended on one night, but tested positive for Covid and had to wait 5 days! They took excellent care of me (even cheered when I tested negative and rushed me to the airport to get official clearance!) Their breakfast buffet is excellent and in most cases included. As one previous writer noted, restaurants are sparse right there.
But, a 10 minute walk over the highway will put you in a nice neighborhood with several good, local restaurants.

The Madrid airport hotels are in a terrible location even with the free shuttle service.! There are no restaurants or anything else in the local area. Food options are mostly limited to the hotel restaurant.

I find it is far better to stay in Madrid off Plaza Puerta del Sol area where there any many cheap rooms available and even more restaurant and bars. In the morning, walk or take the Metro to the Atocha train station and take the Cercanias train directly to the airport. it is almost as convenient as the hotel shuttle any much, much better food options!

-Paul
That absolutely not true of Barajas. There are at least 10 restaurants and bars that are perfectly fine. For example the two opposite the Metro station. It’s certainly one of the better ‘airport towns’ in this regard.

I will leave the OP to decide whether they want to stay downtown or not!

Last edited:
I see some others recommend Hostal Viky but I personally was not comfortable there. I was placed, not in the main hotel, but down the street in a different building. The front door to this building locked but they would not allow me a key to this door, only a key to my room. I just thought this was wierd. Luckily I didn’t need to go anywhere but it kind of freaked me out. This was in April.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hostal Avenida Barajas is good, about 200 metres from the metro station, one stop to the airport. Nice bars and places to eat nearby. Fine for an overnight stay waiting for a plane.

Hostal Avenida Barajas is good, about 200 metres from the metro station, one stop to the airport. Nice bars and places to eat nearby. Fine for an overnight stay waiting for a plane.
Indeed. Round about €60 per room per night on average. Much will come down to budget. Hilton’s and Marriotts are great (esp. if you have points), but more expensive (€160 upwards) than the more basic accommodation that some will look for!

I see some others recommend Hostal Viky but I personally was not comfortable there. I was placed, not in the main hotel, but down the street in a different building. The front door to this building locked but they would not allow me a key to this door, only a key to my room. I just thought this was wierd. Luckily I didn’t need to go anywhere but it kind of freaked me out. This was in April.
I stayed there in November and had both keys and a good nights sleep.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with that. During the time when travel was allowed but there were testing and vaccine requirements, we had an overnight in Madrid on the way home from Lisbon. I booked an airport hotel that was somewhere in the middle of a highway jungle, connected to the convention center. Turns out it is 10 km from the airport, while the Plaza Cibeles in central Madrid is only 15 km from the airport.

We had to wait for a long time for the hotel shuttle to arrive to take us to the hotel. In that time, a cab would have gotten us into town. It was charmless, glitzy, nowhere to walk.
Rooms were more than at a decent 3 star in central Madrid. Food options were hotel standard issue - expensive and not great. And there we were, stuck for the evening. The next morning we had to pick a shuttle time (they were every 30 minutes), so we wound up leaving at basically the same time we would have gotten a cab from central Madrid.

Particularly for flights leaving early in the morning, a cab from central Madrid is quick. If you have a bit more time, Cercanías is much cheaper and very easy to navigate. I think staying in Barajas pueblo would be a much nicer way to end a camino than an airport hotel in nowhereland (I’ve never been there, though), but for my money, I’ll be heading back to central Madrid.

I agree with that. During the time when travel was allowed but there were testing and vaccine requirements, we had an overnight in Madrid on the way home from Lisbon. I booked an airport hotel that was somewhere in the middle of a highway jungle, connected to the convention center. Turns out it is 10 km from the airport, while the Plaza Cibeles in central Madrid is only 15 km from the airport.

We had to wait for a long time for the hotel shuttle to arrive to take us to the hotel. In that time, a cab would have gotten us into town. It was charmless, glitzy, nowhere to walk.
Rooms were more than at a decent 3 star in central Madrid. Food options were hotel standard issue - expensive and not great. And there we were, stuck for the evening. The next morning we had to pick a shuttle time (they were every 30 minutes), so we wound up leaving at basically the same time we would have gotten a cab from central Madrid.

Particularly for flights leaving early in the morning, a cab from central Madrid is quick. If you have a bit more time, Cercanías is much cheaper and very easy to navigate. I think staying in Barajas pueblo would be a much nicer way to end a camino (I’ve never been there, though), but for my money, I’ll be heading back to central Madrid.
Indeed. I am a big fan of Barajas but if you have not been to central Madrid or only a few times, I would defo go there. As you say there is no real difference in price or ‘ease’. The USA flights go morning to early eve evening I guess so it’s one or the other . If you have a late night flight (maybe Europe or South America) it’s a nice place to spend a few hrs and have dinner after a morning downtown.

Hi,
Thanks
Buen Camino
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate it a lot. Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
Thanks
Buen Camino
No need to stay nearby. Stay in Madrid and enjoy the sights and experience. Take a cab or bus to the airport. There is an inexpensive bus that runs from Arocha Station to airport.

-Paul
I arrived by train to Madrid from Santiago on a Saturday with a flight out Sunday. As I had never stayed in Madrid before I was going to get a hotel close to airport.I was arriving solo. But many people on this forum said stay downtown and enjoy the restaurants, Plaza Mayor and Plaza Sol. So with a little trepidation I stayed downtown. Stayed at the OK Hostel which is easy walking distance to Plaza Mayor and Sol. Had dinner sitting outside. Was such a special and fun time for my last night in Spain. Easy walking to Atocha train station to catch airport bus the next morning witch was only 5 euros. Knowing what I know now I would even pay for a taxi to airport if I had to just to stay downtown.

Hi,
Thanks
Buen Camino
Yes we stayed twice at Hotel Don Luis in Barajas . Great eating places in the plaza up road from hotel . We got a cab to airport early but can walk . Will stay there again .was ok price and pleasant though not flash room .

Just throwing this out, it's a very short walk from Barajas to the terminal, maybe 15 minutes from the McDonalds area in Barajas via a pedestrian bridge that connects to the terminal via the elevated parking area adjacent to the terminals Ti-T2, I have used this walkway numerous times at 5 in the morning, no traffic, easy breezy, take a look on google earth and plot the route. There is a hostel or two near the McDonalds area and numerous hotels.

Attachments

• Barajas walkway entrance.png
    Barajas walkway entrance.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Barajas walkway to terminal.png
    Barajas walkway to terminal.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • pedestrian bridge to Barajas terminals.png
    pedestrian bridge to Barajas terminals.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 11
I flew out of Madrid three years ago. My flight was “altered” and I spent the night at the Marriott, courtesy of the airline. Room was great and the meals were also. They had a shuttle to the hotel from the airport and back. I have no idea on the room/meals cost, but t that point of time, I was just ready to get back to Las Vegas!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another vote for the Hostal Viky, in the Barajas centro viejo. It's a bit minimalist, but my needs have always been simple. There are several restaurants and shops just around the corner, on the charming Plaza Mayor -- I recommend the tapas at the Lizarran.... And the free airport shuttle is a joy.

Thanks everyone. We need to be at the airport latest 6 am. So we need to plan. Will definitely want to get the most out of Madrid. Thanks for all the options!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back