• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St James Way, August - September 2022

The Cumbrian

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo.
St James Way, England.
St James Way, day 1.
Reading to Silchester. 17 miles.

To end my summer holiday, I'd originally planned to travel to Spain and walk the Camino San Salvador between Leon and Oviedo. Unfortunately I picked up a third bout of covid six weeks ago and I've had a low grade cold ever since, which morphed into a beefy cough and a bad chest over the last week. I'm just getting rid of the bad chest now, and I still have a cough that can clear a train carriage, so I'm not feeling fit enough to face a walk in the mountains.
This year though, I discovered the Saint James Way between Reading and Southampton. I might not feel fit enough to cross the mountains in northern Spain, but the rolling hills and tow paths of southern England seem doable in my current state.
I went to Reading museum to get my credencial and the first stamp of the trip. The very helpful woman at the front desk then directed me to St James' Church, where the walk begins. This proved to me much more of a faff than I expected. The signs took me to dead ends, and the map wasn't clear. In the end it took a combination of OS maps, Google maps, a leaflet from the museum and a bit of luck to get me on my way. This section of the walk could definitely do with better waymarking.
Once I was following the Kennet and Avon Canal though, things improved greatly. I stopped for a couple of pints, a snack and another stamp at the Cunning Man, and got back on my way. Further along, a mixture of complacency (I regularly cycle along these tow paths, and know them well) and inadequate signage meant that I ended up walking a mile or two more than I had to. I ended up backtracking along the canal after missing a sign at the swing bridge that should have pointed me towards the Fox and Hounds. After regaining the route I found that there wasn't a waymark at the junction, just a crumpled up, hard to spot sign about 30m down the road. When I finally reached the pub, I was unexpectedly greeted with a "buen camino" by a Californian couple who were walking the trail in reverse (hello Cindy and Robert, apologies if I haven't remembered your names correctly). They were on their last stage, and would reach Reading tonight. We chatted for a bit (I would have liked to have spoken for longer, but was conscious of having wasted time at the start and the missed waymark), and I was soon in my way with a warning about long stretches with no signs ahead.
This turned out to be true in places, but in most cases the junctions were well marked. You just don't have the frequent markers to reassure you like in Spain. After a fairly long first day on Camino I got to Silchester Roman town, found a stamp in the porch of the lovely old St Mary's Church and called it a day. I'm really quite impressed with the route, and when the niggles with the waymarking are sorted out it'll be a worthy addition to the Spanish leg of the Camino Ingles.

20220831_112729.jpg20220831_120639.jpg20220831_121300.jpg20220831_123022.jpg20220831_123233.jpg20220831_141219.jpg20220831_160959.jpg20220831_174548.jpg20220831_180006.jpg20220831_182052.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino - again! We are happy to hear that you made it without too much more grief! It was nice to meet you and hope that all this country walking will help clear your chest. Keep posting as it’s a nice pairing with our walk in the opposite direction at the same time. - Robert and Cyndi (you remembered them correctly😎)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello @The Cumbrian!
What a lovely part of England you are walking through. Your photos bring back good memories....I used to pass the day in Reading in my time off then stroll along the Thames Path to the village where I worked.

Buen Camino!

Ps
The mumified hand of St James is said to have rested in the walls of Reading Abbey...

FB_IMG_1662064322819.jpg
St James church, Reading

Last edited:
Where are you staying ?
Hi there @Tedder
The Confraternity St James, Uk has a guide book and other information about the English camino, if you're interested. There might be an accommodation list included. Here's a link:

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
I just finished walking this route utilizing the CSJ guidebook. Sadly, it has ZERO recommendations on accommodations as there are no pilgrim-specific stays along this way. Booking.com was my friend.

And yes, contacting places directly is generally better, but that’s problematic from the US sometimes and often they want a bank transfer to reserve. Online booking makes it a lot smoother. One pub never responded to my emails and had no listed phone number, but I reserved online in less than a minute after two weeks of trying to make contact 🤔.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
St James Way, day 2. Silchester to Preston Candover, 21.9 miles.

I resumed the walk uncharacteristically early at Silchester with a tour of the Roman town ruins, and then continued along country lanes, byways and footpaths in the morning sunshine. I foraged some blackberries, hazelnuts and beech nuts on the way, and the hedgerows were also full of sloes, rosehips, haws, damsons, elderberries and acorns. It threw an unexpected shower, but my brolly kept the worst off me without having to put on my waterproof jacket.
I'd hoped to stop at the Queen's College Arms at Pamber Edge for lunch, but it was still closed so I had a snack in a bus shelter and continued on my way. The trail turned south here, and the afternoon became quite hot. I followed the edge of a golf course on a good path, which turned very overgrown towards the end. The paths improved further on, with very little shade though, and no services. I was going to call at The Queen Inn at Dummer, but they close for the afternoon, so I diverted off track to The Sun Inn where I had a pint and a packet of crisps and the barman refilled my water bottles.
I struggled to find accommodation at the end of this leg, so I decided to finish at The Purefoy Arms at Preston Candover and take a taxi from there. I arrived there deciding to not walk another step that day, ordered a couple of pints and had my credencial stamped. I'd booked a room at the Woolpack Inn a couple of miles away, and I asked the barstaff if they could arrange a taxi for me. They warned that it would cost me a fortune, and provided a bit of Camino magic when they went out of their way to arrange a lift. I gratefully accepted and was whisked away to The Woolpack where I had a lovely stay with great food and drink, only marred by the cold shower I had to endure. This was rectified by the morning when I had a good hot shower, followed by an excellent breakfast.

20220901_091016.jpg20220901_111318.jpg20220901_092138.jpg20220901_092712.jpg20220901_100550.jpg20220901_102509.jpg20220901_121825.jpg20220901_141243.jpg20220901_185254.jpg

Attachments

• 20220901_091000.jpg
    20220901_091000.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Good write up and I really like the last image of the church.
I'm in Southampton so am reading with interest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.