• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Olav's celebrations

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The Festival of Saint Olav starts today in Trondheim. The programme offers concerts of classical music and jazz, dance and lectures that are, this year, dedicated to Spain, as a tribute to Holy Year. But the main goal is to celebrate Saint Olav, the Patron Saint of Norway (King Olav Haraldsson who was born in year 995 and killed on 29 July 1030)

This year will be even more special. If city will be honoured by the presence of Princes Mette-Marit, it will be also highlighted by the ceremony of certification of the Route of Saint Olav Ways, a network of ways linking along more than 5000 km Norway to Denmark and Sweden and a network that is also closely linked to the vast network of pilgrim ways to Santiago de Compostela.

A whole day of presentations was organised this 27 July in order to make all the Nordic partners aware of the requests of the Route, as well as to present good practices as regards accommodation and hospitality (a network of huge farms that have been restored in Denmark) or the management of signposting in a rather empty space and landscape, the maritime route along the fjords, and of course of trans-border co-operation.
One of the most encouraging dimension is certainly the open way in which the partners – mainly from Lutherian Church – are engaged in a deep and diverse inter-religious dialogue.

This is the first Route of the five which received their certification last May and that have been presented in Luxembourg during the recent training session to organise such an official event.

Happy St Olav's Day to all our Norwegian members!

PS: I was married in the St Olav's Lutheran church in Durban in 1969.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sil,
1969.....you must have been a child bride Happy St Olavs day!
We met two lovely Norwegian guys called Rune and Morton walking the CF in April 09. Mortons told us that he helped to organise and also acted as support for walkers on the St Olavs way. At the time I thought that walking the CF must be something of 'Busman's holiday' for Morton though I 'get it' now! Both of them were so enthusiastic and committed to 'their way' that I put it on my list of 'to do' routes (that list is is getting longer and longer)
Did any other forum members meet these two pilgrims? Rune wore some rather memorable ancient leather knee britches that proved to be completely mud resistant even to the dreaded RMR (red mud of Rioja).
Nell

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.