• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Francis Way - Italy

Time of past OR future Camino
travelling from SJPP in early May 2014
I am walking with a small group on the St Francis Way in September, from Assisi to Rieti. Are there any downloadable apps that display the route on maps similar to the excellent Buen Camino apps for Spain?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
robert hailwood,
Perhaps this web may be useful for your planning. Wikiloc maps are included for each stage.

For Rieti see Roman Way - Alternative route --stage 15c

Last edited:
Sandy Brown's book, The Way of St. Francis: From Florence to Assisi and Rome, Cicerone Press, is outstanding and available in a Kindle edition for phones. The GPS tracks for the book are available from Cicerone Press.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sandy Brown's book, The Way of St. Francis: From Florence to Assisi and Rome, Cicerone Press, is outstanding and available in a Kindle edition for phones. The GPS tracks for the book are available from Cicerone Press.

By his own admission Sandy's guide is very outdated. He plans to update his guide for 2024. I've just returned from walking the Way of Saint Francis from Florence to Rome and I carried the Village to Village guide written by Mathew Harms. It was just released in March and I had it with me when I set off in mid-May. There are GPX tracks available through either guide and also on the St. Francis Facebook group page if you have access. It's a challenging route, but after Assisi not nearly as much. And please don't think that I don't like Sandy's guides. I used two of them last year when walking from London to Rome on the Via Francigena. To the best of my knowledge there isn't presently an app. Have fun planning!

You can also look at my GPS tracks on Wikiloc. Not exactly by the book. But you won't miss Romita di Cesi. And this was one of the best experiences on all my caminos ever (sadly you won't meet fra Bernardino though).
I believe my way was quite nicely put together. Assisi - Trevi (you can split it) - Spoleto - Romita di Cesi - Stroncone - Greccio - Poggio Bustone - Rieti - Poggio San Lorenzo - Farfa - Monterotondo - Rome
Wikiloc, Anna Sar, Cammino di Francesco, just if you need any inspiration.
Buon Cammino

By his own admission Sandy's guide is very outdated. He plans to update his guide for 2024. I've just returned from walking the Way of Saint Francis from Florence to Rome and I carried the Village to Village guide written by Mathew Harms. It was just released in March and I had it with me when I set off in mid-May. There are GPX tracks available through either guide and also on the St. Francis Facebook group page if you have access. It's a challenging route, but after Assisi not nearly as much. And please don't think that I don't like Sandy's guides. I used two of them last year when walking from London to Rome on the Via Francigena. To the best of my knowledge there isn't presently an app. Have fun planning!
He was updating it very extensively yearly; perhaps he no longer does?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back