• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start from Lisbon - mid Sept or mid October - advice please

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi
There's some great practical advice here on this camino. I have a couple of questions please for you seasoned contributors. The first is about timing my trip. I have to be in London on the 9 October but can take 3 weeks off either before or after. So do you recommend starting from Lisbon mid-September or mid-October?
I probably have a slight preference for the cooler climate and quietness of October, but I'm wondering in particular if key albergues/accommodation (where there are few other options) will be closed by then. Current plan is to follow the Brierley guide route from Lisbon, take the coast option on the first day out of Porto and then decide which way to go when I get to Vila do Conde.
thanks, tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I finished the Camino Portugues just this May and micbook is walking it now so yes you can access a load of information easily-give his blog a glance concerning heat etc. Firstly, there are not a lot of albergues open or closed between Lisbon and Porto at all so be prepared for the additional expense of pension-hostal-*hotels, 25-usually 30 Euro a night-you ae off season and may be able to haggle a better price. Do not skip Coimbra, a marvelous place, do climb up the hill in Tomar to visit the castle and convent. Lisbon is a wonderful city, I like Oporto even better however the walk out from each is horrendous unless you really like asphalt, oil refineries, car dealerships, furniture stores, docks, factories and workshops. The Camino is well marked after Oporto somewhat less from Lisbon but not that difficult to follow. Be prepared from some marvelous food but don't ask what its made from, the Portuguese are big on pork, leitão assado (roast suckling pig - no you are not served the whole piglet its served by weight) all very tasty, but they also use all the pig except for the oink to flavor soups, stews, beans-peas-lentils, lots of ears, snouts, sauces thickened with blood, trotters, and even the tail - they are also big on fish shellfish and salt cod. Do as all good pilgrims should say grace, eat, and thank your hosts, the food is great.

Hey scruffy1
thanks for responding. Yes I saw micbook's blog and the scary hot weather - seems like the world climate is going a little bit crazee!
OK, so we're saying that there's very little accommodation between Lisbon and Porto anyway and just to take what you get. Fine. Did you stay in any of the Bombeiros Voluntarios? Presumably they are open most of the year? I feel that staying at least one night in one of these places is a necessary experience on this route.
Thanks for detail on the different towns (will def check out Coimbra) and also your info to micbook (I think?) about getting around and staying in Lisbon. I will be using it.
cheers, tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I guess you didn't look very closely at the picture next to my posting, I have long passed the age where I will voluntarily sleep on the floor- going to sleep is not the hard part getting up in the morning would be a challenge! To sleep with the firemen you will also need a minimum of Portuguese to explain what it is you want-something I do not possess

Scruffy

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back