• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting from Lisbon

gregoryb

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte Fall 2019
Hi all, my wife and i will do our second Camino in Sept of this year. i have read that getting out of Lisbon requires long walks on the side of highways and is not pleasant. The suggestion is to avoid this and take a train to Santarem to begin the walk

Can anyone confirm this, or is there a pleasant route out of Lisbon rather than on a highway?

thanks

g

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all, my wife and i will do our second Camino in Sept of this year. i have read that getting out of Lisbon requires long walks on the side of highways and is not pleasant. The suggestion is to avoid this and take a train to Santarem to begin the walk

Can anyone confirm this, or is there a pleasant route out of Lisbon rather than on a highway?

thanks

g
I will be starting from Lisbon in September. I’ve got the same concerns, plus missing the signage. But, I’m starting from Lisbon and it will be what it will be. On a positive note, it looks like the new route may be complete by September.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

thanks

g
I walked out of Lisbon last year (2022). Clearly there are stretches of road walking leaving the city and at other times. Where possible the route uses alternatives to these roads, but cannot avoid them completely. Any stretches along a 'highway' were generally mercifully short, something like 10s or 100s of metres. The one point where I did walk a longer section of highway was because, from the place where I stayed, it was considerably longer to get back to the quieter section of road that was the waymarked route. While I thought later it might have been preferable to do this, it wasn't the choice I made at the time.

thanks

g
I remember a few scarey bits in the first days but I enjoyed it. Take a train to Sacavem or Vila Franca if you need to. I met many friendly pilgrims in Azambuja.

thanks

g
My wife and I walked from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela last Fall and it was great. The entire route was pleasant, except for a little rain that caused some muddy trails. We just got off the trail a few feet. We are in our 70’s and definitely not athletic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can read my story and see lots of photos on the days out of Lisbon if you wish (start here). It takes some persistance, but is quite doable and we felt not all that dangerous or difficult. There are no elevation changes to speak of until you walk into Santarem itself. Have a wonderful Camino!

I walked from Lisbon last year and I don't remember long stretches along highways. The Camino route leaving Lisbon is changing and sounds like it will be much nicer. However, I don't know if it will be complete by next month. You can read more on this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-on-the-new-camino-route-out-of-lisbon.80730/
Glad to hear the Camino has changed since I walked it. The long road into Golega used to be terrible as well as.the road after Villafranca. Honestly, I would have never recommended this one, but if it has changed away from the roads, then awesome.

I walked out of Lisbon in May of this year and it was very nice. I was a solo female traveler who had the same concerns about highway walking throughout the Camino Portuguese but I can honestly say I never felt unsafe. I read a lot of advice about taking transportation out of the bigger cities of Lisbon and Porto but I walked the entire way and I am so glad I did.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

thanks

g
There’s some walking through cities, but the walk along the river is quite nice. I’ve not found a lot of highway walking.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back