• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Started from Valenca this morning

coldweather

I started commenting in the live from the Camino thread. Since there is not much activity in the CP thread area I will just start posting here. Hopefully it will create some history for folks searching in the future.

Let me know if you have questions.

Please excuse typos. I am typing on my phone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A couple of observations so far. In Valenca the municiple alburge, hotel Val Flores and Hotel Lara are basically next to each other. All are directly across the street from the Camino. Also all are about an 8 -10 minute walk from the bus station.

I stayed at hotel Lara in one of the updated rooms. Price includes a large buffet breakfast but does not include any hot food. Many breads, cereals, juices tea coffee cakes and ham and cheese.

Unlike the French way you need to pay attention to the yellow arrows. There is no large crowd to follow.

There is no race for beds and no compeling reason to head out early. It is chilky in the morning. I had a 9am start which I couldn't imagine on the CF

I felt a bit of a novelty to the local people. All were friendly. I only saw a group of 4 pilgrims. They saw 1 group of 3 pilgrims.

Beautiful day for walking! I started St Hostal Expo in Porrino. I cannot say enough about Daniel and his family. They know what pilgrims need!

First the Hostal is a 15 minute walk from the Camino trail. There are signs to guide you. Daniel would prefer to pick you up and drop you back the next day. Just phone him from where you see the first sign for his hostel.

Single room was 22 Euro. Large bag of laundry was 7.5euro, dinner with wine was 10 euro, breakfast was 2.5 euro.

The room was modern and clean. It looks new. It comes with heat or AC and a private bath.

Daniel recognizes that his Hostal is just off the beaten path. He makes up from that with service like pickup and drop off

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, cold weather, it's so great for people who will be starting out soon to have your first hand comments. Thanks so much for taking the time and giving us some inside information. Bom Caminho, Laurie

P.s. Not to fall prey to too many stereotypes, but I think that the Portuguese people are the nicest people in the world outside of a car, and the most reckless and rude when they get behind the wheel!

Thanks coldweather.
This is useful information, and many on here will understand and appreciate the effort you make to keep us up-to-date.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the updates, there will 2 more Canadians walking, we start from Coimbra on the 17th of April.

Continued - accommodation Redondela

The municipal albergue is right on the center of town in a lovely building. I stopped in to ask for some directions. It looked very modern and updated. The lounge looked comfortable and inviting. The WC near the front door was clean and modern. My walking partners stayed there and reported that it was good. Based on what I saw I would stay there.

When walking outside of Redondela there are many signs for O Refuxio de la Jerezana. If I did not already have a place to stay I would have picked this one based on the effort of advertising posted on poles on the Camino path. There are signs everywhere.

Also just outside of Redondela right on the Caminob is Jumboli. It has a bar and a great view of the river and bridge. It is right on the corner of the N-550. You likely will need earplugs.

I stayed at Hotel Santo Apostolo. When you get to the corner of the N-550 you need to walk 2.5k on the highway to the hotel. There may be a better way to the hotel from up on Alto da Lomba (see Brierley map) but it was not clear

I would not recommend Hotel Santo Apostolo because of the distance off the Camino and lack of pilgrim services. There is no place to wash clothes. There are no bars or restaurants close by. The hotel restaurant starts serving dinner at 8:30. In the bar theyade mee a bocacdillo. Staff was friendly and the rooms are clean and nice. Bathroom was old and on need of updates.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walk from Redondela to Pontevedra.

The weather today was outstanding. Not a cloud in the sky! The path today was much softer on the feet than yesterday. There were multiple times I was in a wooded area with a soft dirt path.

When passing the Capela Santa Marta you need to make a choice. Left will take you on a dirt path next to the river. To the right it looks like a lot of city walking. I took the left path next to the river. It was very peaceful with lots of shade. I would think on a hot day this would be the better choice to get out of the direct sun. I suggest you avoid the river walk if it is raining as it will be very muddy.

Pontevedra was very well marked.

Pontevedra

Once you enter the city there are many cafes and restaurants advertising meal of the day for 8-10 Euro. They restaurants and cafes close for food around 3pm. They do not reopen until 8 or 8;30. Be sure you grab a meal before 3pm.

I not kidding. You can't find even a simple bocacdillo available between 3 and 8. Note the supermarket Froiz is open from 10am until late. It doesn't closen for an afternoon siesta. If you are hungry or an early dinner eater you may find yourself self catering from the Froiz.

Pilgrim count today. 4 Portuguese Amigas from day 1; same German woman from day 2; 2 additional young women that zoomed ahead and I did not meet. The 4.Amigas mentioned that there wereore people on the Redondela albugerge but o didn't see any.

More tomorrow. Peace!

Pontevedra accommodation

I stayed At Slow City hostel. If I were to do it again I would not chose them. The owner was nice. It is a hostel not an albugerge. To me this meant no place to hand wash or machine wash your clothes. They send you to a laundromat a few blocks a way.

Most important the bunk beds are made of metal. Everytime you move there is loud squeeking noise of the metal of the beds shifting. Clean sheets and blankets but bad quality sleep.

Another thing to keep on mind about any hostel is you are sharing with non-pilgrims. They will likely be on different sleep and "party" schedules than you. My bunk mates were out very late. Came in and woke me. I in turn work them when leaving in the morning.

An albugerge or pension would.have been a better fit for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis. Brierley stage 21

We had another great weather walking day. Bright and sunny got sun burn on my face

The walk from Pontevedra to San Amaro is lovely and a lot of shaded woods. Not much pavement. When you get to the top you will see the mesin Don Pulpo as indicated on the Brierley map. There is an additional bar/restaurant there. It seems to cater to the pilgrims.

My recommendation is get a quick coffee or drink in San Amaro. If you can wait just 1.3K you will see Cafe As Eiras on your right. It is a lovely restaurant with a nice menu (not just boccadillo) and a great sun porch. The owners were super friendly and welcoming. One of the best stops so far.

If you don't have a meal in San Amaro there are not many choices until some bars in Tivo.

Pilgrim count for today: people we have already met - 1 American, 4 Amigas from Lisbon, 1 German woman. New people met today. 1 South African woman, 1 Portuguese man, 1 Japanese man, 2 Columbian women who live in the Canary Islands, and 4 Belgians. (2 men and 2 women).

Peace out for today. Ask questions if you have them. This forum was helpful to me. It is my turn to contribute.

Our winter was mild, but it won't quit this year and we had snow last night! Glad to hear it is nice and sunny on the Camino, I can't wait to feel the sun on my face again. Barely two weeks to go and we will be walking the Camino Potuguese also!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Caldas de Reis accommodation

I stayed at Balneario Acuna Hotel. This hotel is on the Camino just as you cross the bridge into the city. This is a luxury hotel that is built upon the hotsprings that the city is famous for. They have a spa onsite with a service menu specifically for pilgrims. I will post a photo of the pilgrim service menu. I got the legs service. It was great.

The legs service starts with a footbath with alternating not and cold water. It the proceeds to a light massage on your legs with cooling gel. (Like Vicks vapor rub,). It was very refreshing and relaxing.

Breakfast was included and started at 8am. It included. Coffee, juice, canned fruit cocktail, milk, cereal, bread, butter, jelly. It was basic.

More to come....

Walk from Caldas de Reis to Padron (Brierley stage 22)

Nice easy walk today. A good blend of pavement and soft path. We had good weather today but looks like that will end tonight.

Our first stop was at Cafe Esperon at the 4.9km mark on the Brierley map. Nice owners. Most pilgrims stopped here for coffee.

There is a long gap from here to the autoservicio 6.8 km from here. The autoservicio is a cafe and a small grocery store. I had a tortilla and ensalada. The food was good but not much choice. I was thankful to get food. I did see that they close in the afternoon. I think it was at 2 PM.

I don't recall other places to stop for food or drink between here and Padron.

More tomorrow. Peace out.

I stayed at Balneario Acuna Hotel. ... Breakfast was included and started at 8am. It included. Coffee, juice, canned fruit cocktail, milk, cereal, bread, butter, jelly. It was basic.

I stayed here last May and wanted to leave before 8 so they made a bagged breakfast to-go for me. It was a bottle of water, a banana, green apple and a very large ham and cheese sandwich on a baguette (photo attached). It was so substantial, that I saved it for lunch and enjoyed it at the autoservicio / grocery store you mention above (my phone has the location tagged as Valga), where I purchased an Aquarius to go with it.

Once on the outskirts of Padron, I took a left and went down a block or so to Casa Chavez. It's a nice little bar/restaurant where a wonderfully nice lady loves to chat with the pilgrims and post the photos on their facebook page. I only had an Aquarius there (and a little bowl of potato chips they served as a tapa), but see on their FB page that they do serve food. It's only 5k from the center of town, where there are many more dining options.

Thanks for these updates, @coldweather ! It's so fun to follow along!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for taking the time to post these updates. My husband and I are starting from Porto on 29th April on our first Camino experience. Your reports have certainly helped us in our planning. Cheers!

Thanks for your updates im taking notes!!!!! Silly question, but i speak only English and a bit of Spanish. Do most places you have stopped speak either of these? Ill find it hard to learn Portuguese as well between now and August!

Padron accommodation

I stayed in hotel Chef Rivera. This is a great pilgrim stop if you are looking for a hotel. The room a simple but very clean. The owner is French and speaks fluent English. She built a self serve laundry across the street.

Hotel Chef Rivera is only 2 blocks off of the Camino. There are 3 grocery stores within 2 minute walk. There are many cafes that stay open all day for an early dinner. Others open early at 7:30 for coffee and breakfast. Padron is a welcoming pilgrim town.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walk from Padron to Santiago

The consensus among all of the pilgrims I spoke with was the walk from Padron to Santiago is longer than the 25k listed in the Brierley guide.

We had breakfast in Padron. It was rainy all the way to the Santa Maria de Cruces church. It is shown on the Brierley map just above Esckavitude. There is a bar next to the church (on the Padron side). Nice coffee stop.

North of Teo there are no bars/restaurant to stop in until Milladoiro. At the top of the hill in Milladoiro there is a sign for a bar that is 50 meters off of the Camino. Be sure to stop here. It is the last stop until Santiago.

Also, another secret is there are no aseos/servicio/WC from this point on. I sawmore than a few need to make a toilet stop in nature. It is a bit tricky because you are not that far out in nature. :)

If I were to do this again I would plan backwards from Santiago and not have a 25k,+ day. But I did survive it and you will too! Bom Camino!

Santiago

I stayed in Hotel Avenida. I highly recommend this budget hotel.

It has a good price and 24 staff at the desk. It is across the street from the old city. It is a 3 minute walk to @ivar office for picking up packages. It is also 1/2 block from the airport bus pick up and drop off.

The hotel is very pilgrim friendly and accommodating to requests. It is super clean and rhe stadf speaks Emglish. The hotel has an elevator and includes free breakfast.

I also recommend Pilgrim House (look them up). They do not provide accommodation but they provide services for pilgrims. They will wash your clothes, help you with printing tickets or boarding passes. I saw they have a shower. It is also just a good place.to hanf.out and rest your feet for awhile.

Summary

Here are a few random comments to questions I have seen asked in the past. All comments below only apply from Tui to Santiago.

Terrrain - there are NO mountains. There is a lot of pavent and most of the time you are in a city or a suburb walking through neighborhoods.

Footwear - you do not need boots for the CP. I used hiking shoes. Others used trail style tennis shoes. Some are even water proof. It rains a lot so pick something you will be comfortable walking outside in the rain for 4-6 hours per day.

No pilgrim masses. If there were they were not promoted by the hospitalarios.

Not as "spiritual" as the French.Way. doesn't seem to have the history as the Frech way.

Follows the marked Roman Road. It is paved.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
congratulations, my wife and I are starting from Porto on May 6 or 7, your posts and information are helping us for better planning. buen camino.

... Not as "spiritual" as the French.Way. doesn't seem to have the history as the Frech way. ...
Thank you again for all your postings, it has been so helpful in my planning.
To make up for the absence of the spiritual on the CP, perhaps for your next Camino :) you could detour to the Variante Spiritual from Pontevedra and travel by boat from Vilanova d'Arousa up the river by the route which - it is claimed - the body of St James arrived in Padron. I hope to do this on my journey from Porto to SdC starting Monday April 25, God willing, as these old bones are feeling their age today.

Thank you again for all your postings, it has been so helpful in my planning.
To make up for the absence of the spiritual on the CP, perhaps for your next Camino :) you could detour to the Variante Spiritual from Pontevedra and travel by boat from Vilanova d'Arousa up the river by the route which - it is claimed - the body of St James arrived in Padron. I hope to do this on my journey from Porto to SdC starting Monday April 25, God willing, as these old bones are feeling their age today.
Thanks for the updates, there will 2 more Canadians walking, we start from Coimbra on the 17th of April.

JP. Bom Camino. I wish you well on your Camino. I respectfully ask for you to post some thoughts onthe way. Please start a live from the CP thread. We need more live comments for the Camino Portuguese!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be walking from Porto in a couple of weeks and think I will post some "live" updates.

Pleadr post live from your Camino!!
Thank you for taking the time to provide this information coldweather, I leave in just under nine days and have found your posts both interesting and useful. Bom Caminho!
Se
I'll be walking from Porto in a couple of weeks and think I will post some "live" updates.

May I suggest that when folks post updates live.from the CP they post them here on this CP thread. There are so few posts here the new posts will.serve as a resource going forward. This will help future pilgrims when they search. Thanks onn advance to the future love from the CP posters. I look forward to reading about your experience.

Thanks for your updates im taking notes!!!!! Silly question, but i speak only English and a bit of Spanish. Do most places you have stopped speak either of these? Ill find it hard to learn Portuguese as well between now and August!
@sue-ann , all the places mentioned in this thread are in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I leave from Porto on 8 May. This thread has been useful for us in thinking of the last section before Santiago. We will also post if we find out anything interesting from Porto northwards. Going on to Finisterre after SDC.

Thanks @coldweather for posting. Leaving in 2 days forLisbon and you are filling in some loose ends.
Burn Camino,
Janice

My wife and I leave from Porto on 8 May. This thread has been useful for us in thinking of the last section before Santiago. We will also post if we find out anything interesting from Porto northwards. Going on to Finisterre after SDC.
I am leaving corgo 160km out from santiago om=n may 4th if you are young (under 70) you will catch me up god bless buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am leaving corgo 160km out from santiago om=n may 4th if you are young (under 70) you will catch me up god bless buen camino
We will keep an eye out for you. Apparently, pilgrim traffic is rather sparse on the CP. WHilst we qualify as "young", we are no longer racing greyhounds. Buen Camino.

I started commenting in the live from the Camino thread. Since there is not much activity in the CP thread area I will just start posting here. Hopefully it will create some history for folks searching in the future.

Let me know if you have questions.

Please excuse typos. I am typing on my phone.
Buen camino!!! Waiting to hear everything about your way :) keep us informed!!!!!next year with my baby boy that will be 10 month( in June) we are thinking of walking from there to Santiago :) so I am excited to hear everything about your walk!!!

We will keep an eye out for you. Apparently, pilgrim traffic is rather sparse on the CP. WHilst we qualify as "young", we are no longer racing greyhounds. Buen Camino.

Portugues is getting more and more popular! I believe in terms of numbers it is the second popular one after the Frances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Porrino new Albergue - Private Albergue about 100 m from municipal. Spent a comfortable night there, last night. Remarkably quiet considering how close the motorway is. The bunk beds have individual curtains, bit like a sleeper train and are spaciously laid out. It's possible to wash and dry though little line space . Kitchen also limited, supermarket and restaurants within 5minute walk. Enjoying CP very much though seems quiter beyond Tui which isn't what I was expecting, it's been pretty busy from Porto with some albergues full by late afternoon. Maybe our pilgrim posse has just gone out of sync with the others?

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back