• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting April 28

Helen

Hi all: I will be hiking the Camino starting at St Jean Pied de Port on April 29th. I only have 3 weeks and will cover as much territory as I can. I have decided that I will have to do the complete hike in two trips (maybe next year for part two?). I have no idea whether I am well prepared or not, but I guess that is part of the adventure. I am flying in to Madrid on April 28th and plan to take the overnight train from Madrid to St. Jean Pied de Port. Anyone else?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Helen,
[I am flying in to Madrid on April 28th and plan to take the overnight train from Madrid to St. Jean Pied de Port. Anyone else?]

I do not think that there is a train from Madrid to St Jean Pied de Port. You might have to take a bus or train to Pamplona. Then a bus or taxi to Roncesvalles and then a taxi to St Jean Pied de Port. (Express Burricot taxi will take you to St Jean) 06-61-96-04-76 or book ahead: Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com

If you are fit and a regular walker you could walk 10 days to ± Burgos: skip 5 days across the meseta and start again at Astorga to walk the last 10 days so that you get your compstela.

Whatever you decide, have a good camino.
[/quote]

Madrid to SJPP

Thanks for the alternative, Sil.

My overnight train information was a little misleading -- the info I found on-line included 2 train changes. The overnight part was from Madrid to Hendaya. The Hendaya to Bayonne, then Bayonne to SJPP. Must admit, I am a little concerned about the safety of the overnight leg and whether or not I will know to get off at the right places, since I don't speak Spanish....

Your route sounds a little easier and may save me some time....likely cost about the same too.

Thanks,
Helen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
you won't need Spanish in either Hendaye or Bayonne, as they're both in France :)

And you won't have a problem with knowing to get off at Hendaye, as trains don't go any further. Spain is on a different gauge from everyone else, so everyone has to get off at the border and on to a different train. The Irun-Hendaye stretch is laid with both gauges, so French trains can go through to Irun and Spanish ones to Hendaye. The only through train is the Paris-Madrid Trenhotel, which has special adjustable axles.

Hi Helen,

I'll also be starting from SJPP either on Apr 28 or 29, depending on how well I recover from the expected jet lag. I'm landing in Bilbao but will be going by bus to Hendaye, then taking the same train to Bayonne and SJPP. Maybe our paths will cross (converge?) sometime on the camino.

Mark TQM

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back