• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Frances April, 2019

Waterlassie

So Cal Stroller
Time of past OR future Camino
April, 2019
I've booked my flight from Southern California to Dublin. I'm planning to spend a few nights there to adjust to time and shake off the weariness of the long plane flight, then fly to Biarritz on Ryanair, then bus/train to SJPP. I want to check in around April 10, and start my journey ahead of any Palm Sunday festivities. I'm hoping to be in a smaller town outside of Pamploma-ish by the time Semana Santa parades start and be settled in for a bit to enjoy and watch.

I've done wilderness backpacking for a few years and hope that my ultralight gear and experience will come in handy. I've walked long miles, but I've never walked for more than 10 days in a row. I'm very excited that I won't have to set up and take down a tent every day and cook dehydrated food in a Jet Boil and eat with a spork. :)

I'm excited, nervous, confident, fearful, trying to balance between making plans and letting the Camino provide. The journey will reveal itself, I just have to get out of the way. I delayed my plans to go this year because Easter was so early and I am eager to see the pageantry and rituals built over hundreds of years.

I've been reading posts on this forum for quite some time, when I have time. I use the the search feature a lot when I'm trying to resolve specific questions I have. I am so appreciative of all of the veteran peregrinos and their wisdom and opinions, as well as the newbies who aren't afraid of asking questions. You all are part of my Camino spirit now and will be with me as I walk, continuing to help and guide. But I know I'll still screw up anyway, and that's okay.

Thanks to everyone here!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome Waterlassie,

Sounds like you're a good deal better prepared than I and most others were before their first Camino. I've done relatively little wilderness hiking but I think if you can handle that then The Way shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that the two are very different things and some coming from remote trails struggle to adapt to all the "stuff"- towns, people, walking on roads etc. that come with the Camino, particularly the CF, personally I love both.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've booked my flight from Southern California to Dublin. I'm planning to spend a few nights there to adjust to time and shake off the weariness of the long plane flight, then fly to Biarritz on Ryanair, then bus/train to SJPP. I want to check in around April 10, and start my journey ahead of any Palm Sunday festivities. I'm hoping to be in a smaller town outside of Pamploma-ish by the time Semana Santa parades start and be settled in for a bit to enjoy and watch.

I've done wilderness backpacking for a few years and hope that my ultralight gear and experience will come in handy. I've walked long miles, but I've never walked for more than 10 days in a row. I'm very excited that I won't have to set up and take down a tent every day and cook dehydrated food in a Jet Boil and eat with a spork. :)

I'm excited, nervous, confident, fearful, trying to balance between making plans and letting the Camino provide. The journey will reveal itself, I just have to get out of the way. I delayed my plans to go this year because Easter was so early and I am eager to see the pageantry and rituals built over hundreds of years.

I've been reading posts on this forum for quite some time, when I have time. I use the the search feature a lot when I'm trying to resolve specific questions I have. I am so appreciative of all of the veteran peregrinos and their wisdom and opinions, as well as the newbies who aren't afraid of asking questions. You all are part of my Camino spirit now and will be with be as I walk, continuing to help and guide. But I know I'll still screw up anyway, and that's okay.

Thanks to everyone here!
Semana Santa is a great time in Spain. I was lucky to experience it in smaller villages then into a big city, Burgos, for Easter Sunday. Absolutely fantastic. One thing to watch for though is the two weekends. As it is a Spanish holiday, we found that dinner was not being served until much later than usual, almost 9pm. For arriving in Saint Jean, you might want to consider Express Bouricott shuttle service from airport to town. They will keep you informed about how many others will be in the taxi so that if you are the only one, you can cancel as its too expensive for one person

Semana Santa is a great time in Spain. I was lucky to experience it in smaller villages then into a big city, Burgos, for Easter Sunday. Absolutely fantastic. One thing to watch for though is the two weekends. As it is a Spanish holiday, we found that dinner was not being served until much later than usual, almost 9pm. For arriving in Saint Jean, you might want to consider Express Bouricott shuttle service from airport to town. They will keep you informed about how many others will be in the taxi so that if you are the only one, you can cancel as its too expensive for one person

Thanks so much! That's a resource I haven't looked into. But I will now!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Arriving in Biarritz on the 11th April staying in Bayonne then train to St Jean Pied de port on the 12th hopefully ,long may your road run , Buen Camino.

Arriving in Biarritz on the 11th April staying in Bayonne then train to St Jean Pied de port on the 12th hopefully ,long may your road run , Buen Camino.

Thanks for the message! Since you are a seasoned veteran, I look forward to your input. Do you plan to stay in Orisson? On your previous trips, did you go at this same time of year?

(Embarrassed to say I had to look up Uist beach on Google Earth -- what an amazing place!)

Laurie

Welcome Waterlassie,

Sounds like you're a good deal better prepared than I and most others were before their first Camino. I've done relatively little wilderness hiking but I think if you can handle that then The Way shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that the two are very different things and some coming from remote trails struggle to adapt to all the "stuff"- towns, people, walking on roads etc. that come with the Camino, particularly the CF, personally I love both.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Thanks, Dorpie! Yes, I've had several people I hike with speak disparagingly about walking through civilization on roads with shelter and hot meals as if self-reflection and challenges can only be found in certain places that need to be without electricity or cell service or plumbing. Funny, huh? While I love John Muir and the Sierra Nevadas are mountains that regularly call my name, I also know that peace and satisfaction can be found within oneself regardless of the surroundings.

I also know myself well enough to choose early spring for my walk as a measure to avoid crowds that seem common in summer. At least, I hope so! Just hoping it's not too wet!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the message! Since you are a seasoned veteran, I look forward to your input. Do you plan to stay in Orisson? On your previous trips, did you go at this same time of year?

(Embarrassed to say I had to look up Uist beach on Google Earth -- what an amazing place!)

Laurie
2012 ,Sept to Oct Camino Frances, 2016 St Jean Pied de port to Burgos then back for a family bereavement continued July 2017 to Santiago de compostela. Stayed in Orrison in 2016 very good. Found the last week of the Camino very busy from Sarria and had problems getting a place to stay longer days walking,hopefully starting in April should be a bit better. Hope this helps Buen Camino.

I've been reading posts on this forum for quite some time, when I have time. I use the the search feature a lot when I'm trying to resolve specific questions I have. I am so appreciative of all of the veteran peregrinos and their wisdom and opinions, as well as the newbies who aren't afraid of asking questions. You all are part of my Camino spirit now and will be with me as I walk, continuing to help and guide. But I know I'll still screw up anyway, and that's okay.

Thanks to everyone here!

Thanks to everyone here!

Hello waterlassie. I'm also planning on starting my camino in SJPDP around the same time, on April 11, so likely will meet up. I'm just looking at the first stretch and trying to figure out where I'll likely be for Easter. I'm really looking forward to this walk/adventure and can't think of anything much except that. And like you I have really appreciated all the advice here on these forums. Take care and Buen Camino

Hi I start from Pamplona April 17 and would be cool to know a few people before starting a friendly face

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Waterlassie,

The excitement and trepidation in the build-up is all part of the experience, and in truth its difficult to stamp it out, but if you didn't have those nerves it probably wouldn't be as much of an adventure!

On both my caminos I've had a list of the places I intend to stop, based on the distances, but didn't stick to it either time. The camino will provide - best of luck for your trip!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Waterlassie,

The excitement and trepidation in the build-up is all part of the experience, and in truth its difficult to stamp it out, but if you didn't have those nerves it probably wouldn't be as much of an adventure!

On both my caminos I've had a list of the places I intend to stop, based on the distances, but didn't stick to it either time. The camino will provide - best of luck for your trip!

Thanks for those positive words which come exactly when I need them! No matter how much I prepare, I feel so unprepared.

When I backpack in the wilderness, being unprepared for conditions can be a matter of life and death. I have to continually remind myself that I'll be in civilization and most problems can be solved for a matter of euros.

The perfectionist in me wants to get everything right, the realist in me keeps repeating the mantra to Let Go and Enjoy the Journey, and it's all part of the journey.

Flights booked into Madrid April 15 & starting from SJPDP April 19... Looking forward to meeting new Camino friends and thanks to this forum for the wealth of information...
Buen Camino. I'll be a week ahead of you but you might be walking faster..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks to everyone here!
Two of us are planning to start from st Jean on April 11th. Just sent email to orrison for possible reservations. Arrive Paris April 9 th from Seattle. We just might meet. Good Camino

My friend and I are also starting on April 11 from St JPDP. Likely will see you. We're thinking of going Valcarlos and staying there but it all depends on the weather. Buen Camino!

Do you know where you are spending the night in SJPDP?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do you know where you are spending the night in SJPDP?
I’m just behind you, starting April 19 - have reservation at Gite Makila in SJPDP (had good reviews and seems well located). Like you, I have a good bit of backcountry backpacking experience - I think we’ll be fine.

No idea where we are spending the night any suggestions?

I have just completed a reservation with the Auberge Beilari. It is listed on the 2018 favorite albuergues list found elsewhere on this site. AND it's across the street from the Pilgrim's Office. After all, I wouldn't want to walk too far, you know! 😉

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We have changed our plans by one day. We are starting one day earlier. Arriving St Jean on the 9th staying at Gite Azkorria and heading out to Orisson on the 10th. I am sure we will see you at sometime we will be starting very slow. Buen Camino. When you see two fairly tall mid 60s Americans introduce yourselfs. I am Pete Mathews from Seattle area and he is Steve

We have changed our plans by one day. We are starting one day earlier. Arriving St Jean on the 9th staying at Gite Azkorria and heading out to Orisson on the 10th. I am sure we will see you at sometime we will be starting very slow. Buen Camino. When you see two fairly tall mid 60s Americans introduce yourselfs. I am Pete Mathews from Seattle area and he is Steve
HI Pete... yes we'll likely meet up at some point. Funny but now that you describe yourself... you wouldn't have been backpacking in Portugal and Spain in 1982?? Met a tall Pete from Seattle. Now I know there are thousands of Petes in Seattle....but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI Pete... yes we'll likely meet up at some point. Funny but now that you describe yourself... you wouldn't have been backpacking in Portugal and Spain in 1982?? Met a tall Pete from Seattle. Now I know there are thousands of Petes in Seattle....but just thought I'd throw it out there.
I would have loved being in Portugal but that was not me. Hope to see you soon. So exciting. Buen Camino

My friend and I are also starting on April 11 from St JPDP. Likely will see you. We're thinking of going Valcarlos and staying there but it all depends on the weather. Buen Camino!

I've stayed at the Valcarlos albergue 3 years in a row...pick up the door code from the local bar. ... Valcarlos also has private accommodation....loved it..it's 14 klms from SJPdP...I find Orrisson has a monopoly on the other way. I'll try it for my future CF one day. Also met people that went with us to the end...-Camino family
.buen camino
Love

Thanks Miki for the info about the other accommodation at Valcarlos. I see you're heading out again for another camino soon. Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Heading out of St Jean 17th April.
Buen Camino to all.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.