Starting Camino - May 20

lauratherings

Apr 25, 2017
Time of past OR future Camino
Future (2017)
Hi,

I'm starting my first Camino from SJPdP on May 20 and have booked a hotel for the first night and a hostel for the final two nights. I've also made inquiries to book for Refuge Orisson (I can't wait to get onto the viewing platform a glass of wine there!).

But should I book more alburges/hostels? Do I need to have these all planned or is it ok to just arrive that day or decide that day?

Thanks a mil!

Laura

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Waka

Veteran Member
Apr 11, 2015
Dorset England
Some but not all, and other routes too.
The majority of pilgrims don't book ahead after they've crossed the Pyrenees although I'm not sure how many people will be on the trail in May, I went in September which is another busy time to walk and had no problem with accommodation.
There advantage of not making any forward booking is having the flexibility, you might book ahead but then find that you want to stop earlier.
My advice would be is to see how it goes, after a few days you'll get the feel of how the bed space goes. Another thing you might want to think about is not staying at the overnight stops that are in the guide books, I stayed in lots of places like little villages that most people just walk through, had some really nice places and in some cases was the only pilgrim staying there.
I hope it works for you, have a great journey.

Reactions: MaryLynn

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Feb 15, 2016
Bridgetown, Western Australia
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgos (2019), SJPdP (2020?).
Hi,

I'm starting my first Camino from SJPdP on May 20 and have booked a hotel for the first night and a hostel for the final two nights. I've also made inquiries to book for Refuge Orisson (I can't wait to get onto the viewing platform a glass of wine there!).

But should I book more alburges/hostels? Do I need to have these all planned or is it ok to just arrive that day or decide that day?

Thanks a mil!

Laura

Hi Laura,

Can I strongly suggest that unless you are 100% sure you're going to keep to your timetable don't book too far ahead.

I usually book 1-day ahead or 2-days if it's a small hostel (less than 30 or so beds) in a small village or if there is only 1-3 hostels in the village. I've never failed to get a bed over Aug/Sept.

Don't forget to take advantage of the service that will deliver your large pack onto your selected hostel/albergue (around 3 - 5 Euro). Not having to carry a heavy pack can really make the difference between a great day and a not so great one.

Wishing you all the best and I'm sure you'll love it.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Johnny mp

johnny camino
May 24, 2016
Belgium
camino de france
hi Laura, you don't need to reservate an albergue or hotel on the camino, except maybe like you did in orrison, because it is there verry popular... when i walked last year (starting in burgos) i didn't reservate till i came in sarria, from sarria (the last 100 km) then i did make reservations because from this place it is verry bussy then, so i recomended to reservate then. maybe we see eachother on the camino, i start walking may 19, and make mi first stop near to orrison... i wish you a buen camino. regards Johnny

Johnny mp

johnny camino
May 24, 2016
Belgium
camino de france
i think i will one day ahead of you, but you never know, there can everything happend on the camino, so we will see. if you see an old men stumbling around it could be me, hahaaaa

Attachments

• 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 8
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 8
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

maevlilu

maevlilu
Jul 18, 2016
Norway
Plan to walk in May (2017)
Hi,

Thanks a mil!

Laura
I will start from SJPDP on Sunday morning 21. May. Will stay one night at Orrison. Prehaps we will see eachother. Buen Camino

Dorpie

RIP 2019
Apr 9, 2015
Chester UK
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015, July 2017, October 2019
Hi Laura,

It maybe too late for you to make any changes but I must admit despite it being the last good night's sleep I would get in a month, I rather regretted staying in a hotel in SJPdP. I was very lucky to have met a lovely Irish girl on the bus from Bayonne who introduced me to others but had I not I fear I might have missed out on some of the friendships that seem to be forged on the first night prior to the walk starting.

I walked at much the same time as you two years ago and only once was I faced with a no room at the inn situation and forced to go to the next village so would urge spontaneity.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Reactions: MaryLynn

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides