• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Searching for a camino buddy May 2024!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would echo Trecile...wait until you start your adventure and you can take a few days to see who you will feel comfortable with... walking for a month.

Prearranged connections with people you have not met can often lead to uncomfortable situations if you find you are not compatible.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would echo Trecile...wait until you start your adventure and you can take a few days to see who you will feel comfortable with walking for a month.

Prearranged connections with people you have not met can often lead to uncomfortable situations if you find you are not compatible.
Thanks for the advice!

@janasu as you start walking you will see many others with the same intention as you - to walk to Santiago. Over the next few days you will start to see the same faces; people who walk at roughly the same pace as you; people who stop in the same places you choose to stop; people drawn to a particular style of bar or cafe or evening meal. They will be from many countries but if you have a language, any language, in common you will talk to them and they will talk to you. You will likely find that you are all companions, buddies, walking together to Santiago. There is no need to make arrangements in advance. The process of "Camino" has already made that arrangement for you.
Buen Camino

Through searching who was starting the same day, I messaged a few people and we met up outside the Pilgrim Office at a set time the night before we set off and went for a meal together. It was a good start meeting up and whilst we didn't arrange to walk together we chatted as we passed each other now and again. The only reason we didn't walk together was that we started at different times, and walked at different speeds but we were good friends and always pleased to see each other - well I think so!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So the best would be to talk with some people the first day
Well, yes, talk to people on the first day and each day thereafter! :) But you don't need to talk about whether you will be buddies and walk together. I'd recommend that you start walking without any such arrangement. It simply isn't necessary and it can sometimes create awkward expectations.

It can be a daunting (but also exciting) thought heading off on a 500 mile trek through the middle of nowhere (ok slightly dramatic), and the idea of having someone to do it with is definitely a comfort at the time (pre-Camino). But, everyone above is absolutely correct, and I can echo what they say from my Camino a couple of months ago. You will meet many, many amazing people from all over the world and all walks of life, and generally somehow the Camino will make sure you meet the people who are good for your Camino. Sometimes just for a day, or sometimes for your whole Camino - but to get the best out of the Camino it needs to be your walk, and other people may play a big or small part in that as you will in theirs. Don't potentially put constraints on your Camino before you go with people you don't know, it's not necessary - let the Camino sort it out as you walk.

Tonight I came across my new favourite Camino quote. It's an excerpt from an interview with a pilgrim who seems to be known only as eric_pelerin. It is in French: "Les rencontres sur le Chemin sont une de mes motivations pour y retourner, tant que j'en serai capable, mais la plus belle des rencontres est celle avec soi-même."
English translation: "Encounters on the Camino are one of my motivations for returning, as long as I am able, but the most beautiful encounter is that with oneself."

I have done two caminos, Frances in 2019 and Portugues in 2023. In each case I met people on the camino and we ended up "walking together." In reality some days you are full of energy and others not so much. We often left together, but after a while, one would proceed faster or one would want some reflection time alone. The agreement was to meet at the first bar in a given town for a break. This could happen multiple times a day. On the Frances I met a group of women in Orisson. After a couple of days, we had spread out on the route. One in particular seemed to be on my schedule. We kept running into each other over dinner and after a week we started making plans to meet at particular stopping points. This carried on until Burgos. She wanted a rest day, and I wanted to keep moving. We still texted every day and I would let her know about where I stayed or had a good meal. After Leon I got sick and had to back track to Leon. She was there and told me of a good place to stay. After that we kept in touch with her telling me of good places to stay and eat. A few days later, I met a lady and we ended up walking together to Sarria. I had to wait a day there for my daughters to arrive and join me. Both of these women were waiting for us when we finished in Santiago. There was no romance, just people who had similar life experiences and enjoyed talking. We still keep in touch.

The Portugues was a similar story. From Lisbon to Porto was somewhat lonely. I did meet people and we would walk together and then agree to meet in a certain town at the end of the day. The companionship was very enjoyable. In this case, with different itineraries, the walking buddies changed every few days. We did all met up for dinner in Porto which was enjoyable as we shared experiences. After Porto, I walked with my daughters. Thankfully they met people on the way who they could relate to and enjoyed visiting with while walking. My friends from the Lisbon to Porto route either stopped there or walked on the Coastal while I took the Central. Some of us still kept in touch while on our different routes, which was to me as good as walking with them.

In summary, though I think the expression "The Camino will provide" is an overblown cliche, in this case it did and should for you. People walk at different paces or with distinct agendas, so it is better to just meet up with people on the way rather than try and force fit a walking buddy. In neither camino did the itinerary I planned last more than 3 days. After that circumstances changed how far I would walk or what town I planned to stay in.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is an expression on the Camino that covers just about all of your needs…including and especially your relationship and personal growth opportunities. So many people, personalities, perspectives, histories, and life experiences will present themselves to you without any manipulation by you. One of the many beauties of the Camino is its constant presentation of just what you need when you need it.

Oh, yes, the expression; “The Camino provides“….Buen Camino my friend!

One thing is for certain, you won't be on your own on the CF in May . Rest assured there will be many people to chat to along the way. I often ponder those whose path I have crossed on my Caminos and none were planned in advance.

You'll be fine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

I want to do the camino frances in 32 days and i am searching for a buddy to go together!
Around May 2024. I am from Belgium.
I think that you received a lot of great feedback to your answer already. May I add my thoughts.
You will discover your own pace, comfort and safety level. You will meet many amazing people who will come and go during your Camino. Everyone has their own plans for how far to walk, where to stay, eat or visit. Let your Camino unfold, in the company of others and in solitude. I finished the Camino Frances in October. I met many amazing people, but most of my walking time was alone. Alone but never far from other pilgrims. That solitude gave me the peace and time alone to appreciate the world around me.
Buen Camino

Hello,

I want to do the camino frances in 32 days and i am searching for a buddy to go together!
You might want to join Camigas on Facebook. It is a very active female Camino group and they have a lot of live chats going on. It could help you with questions, possible other peregrinas, etc..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

I walked May-June in 32 days this year. I was going solo also. Started to meet people before I even got to SJPP (on the bus from Pamplona, that I seen on and off all the way to Santiago). Well I was walking I started to write down peoples name in my journal that I met but after my first page was full I quite writing names down I was meeting so many people. So my solo walk wasn't really solo. Also I walked with different people all the time, sometimes people I met previously or new friends that day.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back