• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Ponferrada

aliwalks

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
I am planning my first walk in September, and have approx 14 walking days. I am thinking of starting from Ponferrada and travelling from Canada. My questions are should I fly to Madrid or Barcelona, and then best way to get to Ponferrada, thanks, Aliwalks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are also starting from Ponferrada this year. We are getting a direct bus from Madrid Airport (Terminal 4). I think the bus takes about 5 hours. You can also get a train from Madrid city centre, which is probably a nicer way to travel if you plan to spend a night in Madrid.

I'm not sure of the options from Barcelona, but no doubt others will provide advice on this!

Buen Camino!

Nuala

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Madrid is much closer to Ponferrada than Barcelona, so unless a flight to Barcelona is way cheaper than a flight to Madrid, I'd go with Madrid. Taking the train from Madrid up to Ponferrada will take you about 4.5 - 6 hours (depending on which train you choose) and a train from Barcelona will be more like 10 hours. You can check out train itineraries here: www.renfe.com. They probably won't have itineraries published yet for September, but you can enter in sample dates in, say, April, and see what comes up just to give you an idea of what to expect.

You can also take a bus from Madrid to Ponferrada: http://www.alsa.es/rutas/madrid-ponferrada.htm. Looks like it's only about 4.5 - 6 hours as well - not too shabby!

Ponferrada is a beautiful town and a great place to start. Buen Camino!!
Faith

Madrid is closer to Ponferrada and has more transport links with Ponferrada. You can take a bus from Madrid's airport to Ponferrada or, if you plan to spend sometime in Madrid, you can take a bus from the downtown too (Estación Sur de Autobuses). A train out of downtown Madrid (Chamartín train station) is another option.

Barcelona is more far away from Ponferrada than Madrid but if flight tickets to Barcelona are much cheaper, it wouldn't be a bad option because there's a nicely timed overnight train from downtown Barcelona (Sants train station) to Ponferrada.

For bus fares and schedules, take a look at this web:

http://www.alsa.es/en

And for train fares and schedules, take a look at this web (be aware you might get heavily discounted fares by booking online well in advance. Bookings usually open 2 months in advance but sometimes they open later):

http://www.renfe.com

Another idea to throw into the mix - if you end up flying to Barcelona (because of cheaper flights) - Iberia/Air Nostrum flies from Barcelona to Leon. Flight time is 1 hour and 25 mins.

You can then get an Alsa bus from Leon to Ponferrada (1 hour and 40 mins)

Not as straightforward as travelling through Madrid, but it if the times work out OK it might be easier than a bus from Barcelona to Ponferrada.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am planning my first walk in September, and have approx 14 walking days. I am thinking of starting from Ponferrada and travelling from Canada. My questions are should I fly to Madrid or Barcelona, and then best way to get to Ponferrada, thanks, Aliwalks

Another idea to throw into the mix - if you end up flying to Barcelona (because of cheaper flights) - Iberia/Air Nostrum flies from Barcelona to Leon. Flight time is 1 hour and 25 mins.

You can then get an Alsa bus from Leon to Ponferrada (1 hour and 40 mins)

Not as straightforward as travelling through Madrid, but it if the times work out OK it might be easier than a bus from Barcelona to Ponferrada.
Thank you Nuala, will likely fly to Madris, and then maybe bus very grateful for your help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Madrid is closer to Ponferrada and has more transport links with Ponferrada. You can take a bus from Madrid's airport to Ponferrada or, if you plan to spend sometime in Madrid, you can take a bus from the downtown too (Estación Sur de Autobuses). A train out of downtown Madrid (Chamartín train station) is another option.

Barcelona is more far away from Ponferrada than Madrid but if flight tickets to Barcelona are much cheaper, it wouldn't be a bad option because there's a nicely timed overnight train from downtown Barcelona (Sants train station) to Ponferrada.

For bus fares and schedules, take a look at this web:

http://www.alsa.es/en

And for train fares and schedules, take a look at this web (be aware you might get heavily discounted fares by booking online well in advance. Bookings usually open 2 months in advance but sometimes they open later):

http://www.renfe.com
Wow so much incredible information, very much appreciated, will check the sites out,

Madrid is much closer to Ponferrada than Barcelona, so unless a flight to Barcelona is way cheaper than a flight to Madrid, I'd go with Madrid. Taking the train from Madrid up to Ponferrada will take you about 4.5 - 6 hours (depending on which train you choose) and a train from Barcelona will be more like 10 hours. You can check out train itineraries here: www.renfe.com. They probably won't have itineraries published yet for September, but you can enter in sample dates in, say, April, and see what comes up just to give you an idea of what to expect.

You can also take a bus from Madrid to Ponferrada: http://www.alsa.es/rutas/madrid-ponferrada.htm. Looks like it's only about 4.5 - 6 hours as well - not too shabby!

Ponferrada is a beautiful town and a great place to start. Buen Camino!!
Faith
Much appreciated, have some great ideas so now will plan flying to Madrid...

We will start our camino next year from Ponferrada as well. I found information in this forum with a link to bus schedules. There appear to be 2 bus routes from Madrid. The express is faster and they make it sound positively luxurious - there's even a lounge open prior to boarding. Keep your eye on fares. It looks like there are deals available.

We will overnight in Madrid to get over the jetlag and regain our energy before starting. You could do the same in Ponferrada I suppose, but it might be easier to exhaust oneself in Madrid before getting a good night's sleep and waking up to catch the bus.

Either way you go, buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Due to my bad knees, I can't walk the Camino Santiago. Instead of going home, I have found that going from Albergue to Albergue to catch up with friends is the camino I have chose...
I am catching an Alsa bus from asturias airport to Oviedo, then from Oviedo to Leon. I have bought the tickets online and was concerned about the short connection time in Oviedo. If I miss the...
Hello, I saw O Lagar de Jesus mentioned in a couple of threads. Looking for input about this place. It caught my eye because of the communal dinner and proximity to Padron. Some questions: 1)...
I am having a bit of difficulty finding an acceptable way to travel from Sdc to Lisbon. Does anyone have some ideas?
Hello all I am in Barcelona for a few days and then will head up to Saint Jean. What is the best way to get to Saint Jean from Barcelona? if I am correct it looks like a train will go to Pomplona...
Hi I am currently in Pedrouzo walking to Santiago tomorrow. I have booked àn apartment for tomorrow night. The apartment owner had just informed me that bag forwarding companies will not drop bags...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back