• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from sjpp Monday 13th

julesq

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2015)
Hi,
I'm planning to start from sjpp Tom am.. (Have tried to book Orisson, but no joy as yet). Just wondered if anyone else is also starting?

Also had a quick question about gear..
I have 2 merino base layers a warm fleece and waterproof shell.. Just wondering if that will be warm enough for the snowy bits.. ? Any advice welcome (weather forecast is good for tomorrow). But could purchase something else if needed.
Any advice greatly recieved!
Thanks
Julie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My understanding is there was snow at the top but that it was not terribly deep currenty altho could cause slippery patches especially on steeper slopes. I suspect with nice weather it won't last too much longer ... that said it can snow at a moments notice especially at elevation and the Pyrenees are notorious for just such an occurance ... make sure you check at the pilgrim office. They will have the lastest info on conditions and closures and listen to their advice. You could try phoning Orrison perhaps ... they can take a while to get back to you via email. I tried to get a reservation a few weeks back for May4 but they were full so they offered me Kayola 800m before Orrison ... I chose to leave a day later on the 5th to get into Orrison proper but waited over a week for their reply to confirm . It's possible they will be full at this late date but I'd check anyway ... it sounds like there are often cancellations at the last minute from folks whose plans have changed or who decide to walk on after getting there. I actually decided to leave my fleece at home (I think) in favour of a lightweight sweater (probably more useful in summer) and if needed I can layer .... base layer silk underwear, next layer short sleeve top, then long sleeve lightweight top or sweater or both then a lightweight jacket if needed (very thin but good for cool summer nights) and finally my water/wind proof jacket .... tested this back home and I was absolutely stifling warm. Includes basically my entire kit ... I can vary this system based on current conditions and hopefully will be ready for whatever weather is thrown at me. I am post menopausal and more often than not I am burning up anyway and drenched with sweat. It's important for me to use layers cause every few minutes I am stripping everything off and using my hand fan with a vengeance before layering up again to deal with the cold ... makes my husband laugh ... he says he likes it ... I have NO idea why ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back