• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Cahors

gyoungwoman

I am currently living in the South West of France and would like to start my journey in Cahors as it is close and might work better with my budget.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long this might take? I have also read that Le Puy Route is more expensive. How much per day should I save for? What is the best way to plan lodgings?

I am very new to this and appreciate any advice you might have.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you comb through this part of the forum you'll find most matters dealt with, and many recommendations for accommodation. There's so much here I won't try to condense, but I will say that an up-to-date Miam Miam Dodo guide can't go amiss.

The main thing is...it's going to be great!

Bon chemin

Rob

There are many sites where you can calculate how many days it takes but do take in consideration: every 5-6 days you must have a zero day. I think it's 400 km to St Jean.
25 average a day=16 walking days
3 zero days- total of 20 days at least.

How much will it cost: gite a night 8-10 Euros at least, If you buy and cook your food=12 per day.
Don't forget-coffee and beer with your friends after a day's walk and cold drinks now and then.
I would say- 25 per day at least.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Staying in a mix of gites, chambre d'hotes and hotels, almost (but not quite) entirely Demi-pension, ran me an average of 40€ per day for room and meals, and that was 2-3 years ago, so probably more these days.

Why start in Cahors? The best scenery is between Le Puy and Cahors. The travel expense difference can't be that significant.

I am about to finish the route, and demi-pension is never below 31E and has been as high as 75E when beds are hard to find. The demi-pension is less expensive than the combined cost of bed, dinner, and breakfast, so the only way to beat a 35-37E daily cost is to make your own meals. Low cost gites have been quite full, poorly stocked for cookware, and very competitive for kitchen use.

Including lunch, beverage, and snacks, I suggest a daily budget of 45E.

gyoungwoman said:
....and might work better with my budget.

I don't know how practical it is for your situation, but one option you can also consider that would save money is to camp under the stars for absolutely nothing. =) It's very easy on the budget!

It also gives you a lot more flexibility in how far you can walk each day.

-- Ryan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
gyoungwoman said:
I am currently living in the South West of France and would like to start my journey in Cahors as it is close and might work better with my budget. ...

Additionally to what others have said, I would also encourage you to think about starting from your own door step as you are already living in the area. Buen Camino! SY

Re: Re: Starting in Cahors

SYates said:
gyoungwoman said:
I am currently living in the South West of France and would like to start my journey in Cahors as it is close and might work better with my budget. ...

Additionally to what others have said, I would also encourage you to think about starting from your own door step as you are already living in the area. Buen Camino! SY

I do a lot of caving and cave diving in that area. Pilgrims walking along the Cele valley at Marcilhac was a common site. That was how I first heard of the Camino.

Green Tortuga said:
gyoungwoman said:
....and might work better with my budget.

I don't know how practical it is for your situation, but one option you can also consider that would save money is to camp under the stars for absolutely nothing. =) It's very easy on the budget!

It also gives you a lot more flexibility in how far you can walk each day.

-- Ryan

I've had some of the best wild camping I can remember round Cahors. Beautiful part of the world with plenty of wilderness to get lost in.

Cahors is a nice enough place, the bridge is impressive, try to stay with Serge in Le Relais des Jacobins 12 Rue des Jacobins just across the bridge-Camino Frances vetrans will recognize where immediately by the yellow arrow! Ask Serge about the St James Church, if I remember correctly it is not open regularly perhaps for mass perhaps on Saturday(?) and contains ancient frescos.
Not an easy task but certainly rewarding. Further down the chemin, stay with Rom & Aideen at the Ultreia Gite in Moissac 45 Avenue Pierre Chabrie perfect hosts nice gite or rooms if you can splurge and pleasant dinner though be warned they are Irish (meaning prepare for potaatoes!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back