• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in early May

traveling goddess

Time of past OR future Camino
Will be walking El Camino in May and first two weeks of June 2014
Anyone starting from St. Pied in early May?
Any advice for a May and half of June walk?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting the 9th of May from St.Pied. First time walking the Camino so I can't give advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone starting from St. Pied in early May?
Any advice for a May and half of June walk?

Be warm if you're early-ish May, and take the recommended rain-gear. You'll get warm walking, so don't over do it. And listen to the locals when they say not to go the Napoleon Route.
Have a wonderful trip, and Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walking May 9 or 10...haven't really decided where to start. Thinking Pamplona, but who knows, might even surprise myself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm probably starting at SJPP on May 11 or 12. My cousin may be joining me, but no definite plans yet.

On a related note, has anyone started their Camino from Biarritz rather than taking public transportation to SJPP and starting there. It seems that if we're walking anyway why not start by walking directly out of the Biarritz airport instead of lining up buses and trains to SJPP.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm probably starting at SJPP on May 11 or 12. My cousin may be joining me, but no definite plans yet.

On a related note, has anyone started their Camino from Biarritz rather than taking public transportation to SJPP and starting there. It seems that if we're walking anyway why not start by walking directly out of the Biarritz airport instead of lining up buses and trains to SJPP.

Hi Pita,

I would say that you will have started your Camino the minute you set off to the airport, just a 'way' of thinking maybe
Blessings
Blu

If you are planning to walk the Camino your journey started even before you made the decision to walk - it does not start with a foot step rather with a thought and an intention to change your life - it then only stops when you stop as the Camino brings you a new focus - travel well

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please remember that May 1 is the Labor Day holiday in Europe and many pilgrims may be beginning at the same time as you. I would suggest that you try to reserve in advance.

When you arrive in Saint-Jean go to the office of the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. This is a fine place to stay. They do Not accept reservations, but they DO help you find other lodging when you are on site.

Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

Hello I'm writing from Sydney Australia.
I'm planning on doing the camino starting from roncevalles on 9th may. Im flying in to madrid and catching the train to Pamplona. However I've seen that the bus to roncevalles departs at 6pm. So I'm thinking it would be better to catch a taxi in order to get there in time to register and find accommodation. Is anyone else arriving that day? And would be interested in sharing a cab??
I've never done the camino and would love and appreciate any tips or input!!!

Thanks and God bless and good luck to everyone on your journey xx

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
At this point we just planning to stay in the municipal albergue in SJPP. What about you?

I have booked B&B Errecaldia for the 30th, if you do not have their details let me know, or yes as advised try and book something....

;):) Hi there,

Just a word of warning about the weather.Last year (2013) I had to walk through snow showers on the Rue de Napoleon from Orisson to Roncesvalles(May 16th 2013) and also from Zubiri to Pamplona (May 18th 2013).I believe the Napoleon route was closed on May 17th 2013 for a few days.

Just take the advice offered by the good people in the Pilgrims Office in St.Jean before you leave and they will recommend which route to take (Napoleon / Valcarlos).

Very best wishes on your journey and..

BUEN CAMINO !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please remember that May 1 is the Labor Day holiday in Europe and many pilgrims may be beginning at the same time as you. I would suggest that you try to reserve in advance.

When you arrive in Saint-Jean go to the office of the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. This is a fine place to stay. They do Not accept reservations, but they DO help you find other lodging when you are on site.

Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret, let's hope they are all not stopping on the first night :) GRIDLOCK!

;):) Hi there,

Just a word of warning about the weather.Last year (2013) I had to walk through snow showers on the Rue de Napoleon from Orisson to Roncesvalles(May 16th 2013) and also from Zubiri to Pamplona (May 18th 2013).I believe the Napoleon route was closed on May 17th 2013 for a few days.

Just take the advice offered by the good people in the Pilgrims Office in St.Jean before you leave and they will recommend which route to take (Napoleon / Valcarlos).

Very best wishes on your journey and..

BUEN CAMINO !!

I live in the Netherlands and last year was a particularly long and cold winter here. I remember having the heat on in my house well into June. I don't know if the weather was unseasonably cold in Spain last spring as well, but I am hoping that the stories we have heard from you and other pilgrims about the cold conditions in May might be related to the bad winter we had in Europe last year.

I'm hopeful that because this winter has been mild so far in Holland it will also mean that it will be a warmer and milder time on the Camino in May and June, but of course it's the weather and the one constant is that the weather will change. I will be optomistic but also be prepared for the worse!

Thanks for sharing your experiences...

Departing St Jean on 15th of May after travelling from Brisbane Australia Buen Camino
Hey Señor Dave, Señorita Di here!
Getting pretty excited now, glad we made the decision to just see where the walk takes us, and if we get a bed all good, if we don't it's still all good. Have bought all the major supplies, just need the small stuff now. Can't wait to meet all the fellow pilgrims and learn new languages on the way. Buen Camino

I live in the Netherlands and last year was a particularly long and cold winter here. . . .
I'm hopeful that because this winter has been mild so far in Holland it will also mean that it will be a warmer and milder time on the Camino in May and June, but of course it's the weather and the one constant is that the weather will change. I will be optomistic but also be prepared for the worse!

Thanks for sharing your experiences...

Thanks so much for this information!!!!! I've been wondering how this winter has been comparing to last in Europe-- your report gives me hope for a warm spring.

Buen Camino!!!! :)

Departing St Jean on 15th of May after travelling from Brisbane Australia Buen Camino
Hey Dave
I will be starting from SJPP May 18th. That should be around the time you begin or maybe a day or 2 ahead (I am not clear on how long you will need to get there). I am staying the 18th at Orrison and will arrive in Pamplona May 21 (I am with a group until then but on my own after that). So look for a 5'6'' woman average weight with blondish curly mid-length hair and an Osprey backpack with a forum patch on it. Hope to see you along the way!
Have a safe trip to Spain.
Stefania

Hey Señor Dave, Señorita Di here!
Getting pretty excited now, glad we made the decision to just see where the walk takes us, and if we get a bed all good, if we don't it's still all good. Have bought all the major supplies, just need the small stuff now. Can't wait to meet all the fellow pilgrims and learn new languages on the way. Buen Camino
Hi Keldi!
I just responded to Dave60 - see that also. I am glad to hear someone say they want to learn languages. I have been trying to learn Spanish on my own. I took French in high school many.... years ago but never had the chance to learn Spanish. Sounds like we will be starting around the same time. When will you be in SJPP? Hope to meet you along the way and maybe we can help each other with language skills : )
Stefania

I am starting on 6.6.14 and posted on another thread how much I was regretting not starting earlier this year because of the current lovely early spring-like weather. Then someone reminded me it rained for 23 day in May of 2013 and was it was still snowing the first week of June in the Pyrenees.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be careful with too much DEET, that stuff is not good for you . . .

Thanks Pete we were not planning to sleep on the silk but use it as a under layer - and your right its not good for you

Hi Keldi!
I just responded to Dave60 - see that also. I am glad to hear someone say they want to learn languages. I have been trying to learn Spanish on my own. I took French in high school many.... years ago but never had the chance to learn Spanish. Sounds like we will be starting around the same time. When will you be in SJPP? Hope to meet you along the way and maybe we can help each other with language skills : )
Stefania
Hey Stefania, just seen your message. We arrive in SJPP on 14 May and start walking 15 May. You will easily identify me and my walking partner Dave, we will have badges on our backpacks with the Australian Flag and our names.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Keldi , Des and I start in the 16th so we may see you in the walk - have a great walk and hope to see you at a forum meeting in Sydney

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hi Larry, our paths will probably cross starting out so close together so hope you both have a good walk... Unfortunately we won't make the meeting in Sydney as we both live in Queensland!

Hey Stefania, just seen your message. We arrive in SJPP on 14 May and start walking 15 May. You will easily identify me and my walking partner Dave, we will have badges on our backpacks with the Australian Flag and our names.
Keldi,
You will be a bit ahead of me. I will be leaving SJPP May 18th and arrive in Pamplona May 21. Depending on your speed and timeline we may meet up along the way. I have an Osprey backpack (red and black) and will have my Forum patch on it. I have blondish curly mid-length hair and am 5'6'' average weight.
Have a great Camino, both of you!
Stefania

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks so much for this information!!!!! I've been wondering how this winter has been comparing to last in Europe-- your report gives me hope for a warm spring.

Buen Camino!!!! :)

An update on the current weather in Europe...

This was one of the warmest winters on record in the Netherlands and for much of Europe. As I am writing this (7 April) I have the windows to my office open on a balmy spring day here in The Hague. Last year this time we were still getting occasional snow flurries and I had the heat on in my house well into June. If the weather stays as it is I am hopeful for a pleasant hike across the Pyrenees and the rest of the Iberian Pennisula without the weather troubles that were reported by pilgrims leaving in May last year.

Buen Camino everyone.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.