• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in less than a month. Please help!!!

wendysulda

Time of past OR future Camino
march 2013-june 2013
Hi
Well I am freaking out a bit with time ticking down. I will be hiking from Le Puy to the north route in spain and on to Sanitago. Most of the folks I have read about are either starting in spain or much later. So here are my worries..... SNOW do i need a gps ( iam going alone) how deeep is the snow. I say pics and now i am thinking i made a huge mistake.
so my pack is getting heavy . just thinking about it
thermals
stove
pot
gloves
hat
gators
extra socks
tent
fleece jacket
rain jacket
water pants
sleeping bag
fleece liner
So please help me. I am in a strange situation. See I am living in Mainland China and am a big gal so i have to buy stuff from us ship to here .
I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A GPS is great for telling you where you are, but not of a lot of use if you are lost in the Aubrac plateau surrounded by snow! If you have purchased road maps for France and Spain, you will be able to see your relationship to nearby roads, but that may be of limited use. There will be fences, rivers, canyons, etc. between you and where you might want to be. In general it is dangerous to walk in the snow where you cannot see the balises, except if you are on a road. In March if there is substantial snow, be prepared to take a day off, or a taxi. Your loved ones will be glad you did. :D

As we write it is -4 degrees Celsius in Aubrac that is minus four degrees Celsius! I leave for Le Puy in another 5 weeks and am praying for some serious global warming! The road maps seem to be one solution since right now one would need a dog sled to even find the G65 much less walk it. My plans call for half a Camino-walking from Le Puy until Pamplona maybe Puente La Reina if these old legs are still functioning. Should this cold and snow continue I am considering to bus through until say Conques walk it through and then come back for the section I skipped, returning next Spring to finish off the Spanish part remaining. In such weather even the stoutest hearted pilgrim, the most determined and high minded must also possess common sense and above all flexibility.
S

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
wendysulda said:
my pack is getting heavy .
stove
pot
tent
sleeping bag

If you are camping, then yes your pack will be heavy. The "7 kg plus water and lunch" rule of thumb will no longer apply; the minimum weight would be in the range of 10-11 kilos instead. And that will reduce your daily distance, slowing you down. However, there is lodging available all along the route; one doesn't need to camp unless one particularly wants to do this. Use the MMD to check out which lodgings are open in this off season, and be sure to call ahead for reservations by a day or two (or three).

The FFRP hiking guides for the GR 65 are available in local shops, and have topo maps in sections for both the walking route and nearby roads. Three volumes cover the route from Le Puy to SJPP. Even the MMD schematic maps are quite enough, when combined with the balises waymarkings.

Depending on the weather you find when you arrive, you might find Scruffy's approach of walking the second half (lower elevation section) first to be a very viable approach.

Hi Wendy.... I am starting soon also and have a bit of anxiety, but want to say that you will not be alone. I will be a few days ahead of you, plan to leave Le Puy for Santiago on March 6th, and will be watching the weather. It is cold and much below average there now so I am thinking there will be a warm-up in March! I hope so. If not, my schedule will be off a bit, but no problem! I am also looking at el norte as I have already walked from Burgos and am curious about your timeline for arriving in Santiago via el norte. Good luck to you and perhaps we will meet along the way. Greg

I went from Le Puy to Pamplona, starting in early spring. It was an experience I would not trade, but, yes, one should be aware of a couple of things.

My main mistake was to take a clammy sil-nylon poncho which was hard to get on and unstable in wind. You get wind on that plateau! An Altus jacket (original style, stiffer fabric) would have been ideal. I'm told there's a Ferrero product that does the trick now Altus has changed fabrics.

The thing I did right was not to walk through heavy snow and possible white-out, which occurred after Nasbinals on the descent to Saint-Chely. I had a lovely, safe, scenic day walking down the freshly cleared road. Someone later told me I missed a great experience not staying on the GR and fighting it out. People have always advised me on the benefits of cold showers, black jellybeans and so on. But I know hot showers and pink jellybeans are the best.

The Le Puy route does offer more camping than the CF, but you'd need to be seriously geared up for it, as people have said. There is a lot of accommodation available, and, with a Miam Miam guide and a phone you can book a few days in advance. Remember you're on a popular hiking route, and there may be French groups booking things out at times.

Ah, but it's such a great walk. Just stay dry and comfy. Rest a lot.

Slow's the go. (But I would say that, wouldn't I?) Bon chemin.

And learn the song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtny1-EawRQ

Rob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rob, I like your advice but I especially like the song. Is there a copy of the lyrics somewhere? I don't speak French but I'd love to be able to sing it. Thanks.
Kathy

Tous les matins nous prenons le chemin,
Tous les matins nous allons plus loin.
Jour après jour, St Jacques nous appelle,
C’est la voix de Compostelle.
Ultreïa ! Ultreïa ! E sus eia Deus adjuva nos !

Chemin de terre et chemin de Foi,
Voie millénaire de l’Europe,
La voie lactée de Charlemagne,
C’est le chemin de tous mes jacquets.

Et tout là-bas au bout du continent,
Messire Jacques nous attend,
Depuis toujours son sourire fixe,
Le soleil qui meurt au Finistère.

A chaque pas, nous devenons des frères
Patron St Jacques, la main dans la main
Chemin de Foi, chemin de lumière
Voie millénaire des pèlerins.

Mr St Jacques écoutez notre appel
Des Pyrénées à Compostelle,
Dirigez nous du pied de cet autel,
Ici-bas et jusqu’au Ciel.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back