• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Stockholm! Advice on routes.

Hittheroadjack

Spring has finally arrived here in Stockholm and I'm getting itchy feet again. I'm planning on walking all the way from Stockholm this year and will be starting as soon as I've packed up the last of my things and put them into storage. Hopefully I can make it to Finisterre in time for Christmas!

The plan is follow the E6 long distance footpath (http://www.era-ewv-ferp.com/index.php?page_id=110) through Sweden (around 1300km), and Denmark to Germany.

It's from Germany onwards that I'm keen for some advice. I imagine that after 2 months of relative solitude in the Swedish woods will make me keen to choose the most well trodden path, so please take that into consideration!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tusen tack!!

Thank you both so so much. It's difficult to know what to google and which search terms to use on the forum. Nothing beats a bit of insider knowledge.

I think that kitsambler's route from Bremen onwards seems most direct. Do you think that they'll be somewhere to pick the guidebooks up along the way or are they very uncommon? In which case I suppose that I'll try and arrange to have them posted somewhere en route and pick them up along the way.

Thanks anniethenurse for pointing out lovingkindness' pilgrimage. It's nice to see there are some other crazies out there! I'll try and keep the forum updated as I go.

Just want to say good luck. I envy those who can take so much time to do a long pilgrim walk.

Tack Beatrice!

I've walked the Frances a few times and have always envied those who started at their front door. Unfortunately it's not something that many are able to find the time to do.

I hope that one day you too can find the time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure where to post this so I thought I'd add it as a comment here.

Does anyone know a way to get a pilgrims passport to Stochholm within the next week? I have many used passports from previous caminos here but I need a blank one!

If it's not possible i guess I'll just use a piece of card and create my own.

Advice much appreciated.

The German-language guides from Conrad Stein Verlag are widely available in bookstores in the German-speaking area (I've been in bookstores in Cologne, Berlin, Zurich and Basel among others). However, finding the exact one you're looking for might be tough. The booksellers seem to be best-stocked for the few titles in their immediate vicinity.

The Norwegian pilgrim association has info in English here: http://www.pilegrim.no/page.php?id=1093704188

The German pilgrim association has info on credentials here: http://www.deutsche-jakobus-gesellschaft.de/39994.html

Also the Peterborough pilgrims offer a credential: http://peterbros-pilgrimcredentials.blogspot.com/

Thanks Kit. Brilliant info. Perhaps I can call a bookstore a week or two ahead and ask them to keep one for me (or order it if they don't have the one I'm looking for in stock). My German is incredibly basic but I'll keep a German dictionary (on kindle! not the heavy kind!) with me and I'm sure I'll be able to decipher it with a bit of logic and common sense!

Thanks again

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Hittheroadjack, I am so curios to hear how your walking is going. Have you left Seeden yet? How has it been, have you found ok lodging? Still prepared to walk all the way? I am also from Sweden and hope to walk all the way from Vadstena one day in the distant future.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.