• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Jensjaunt on the Portuguese Coastal

Jensjaunt

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept Oct - Camino Francis
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right for a walk in the rain! Am looking forward to being beside the sea, the waves and sounds will I hope kick start me info reflection mode. I have never been to Porto and it truly is a beautiful city worth a longer visit. The Cathedral was beautiful, as were the botanical gardens near the University! I saw a fair number of pilgrims milling about so it’s starting to get busy. On a guided walking trip around Porto ( worth it for me as a newbie) - of the 8 of us in the English language group, 4 were walking the camino! Here are a few fav pics! Bye for now!

Attachments

• IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5726.jpeg
    IMG_5726.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 873
  • IMG_5719.jpeg
    IMG_5719.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5714.jpeg
    IMG_5714.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right for a walk in the rain! Am looking forward to being beside the sea, the waves and sounds will I hope kick start me info reflection mode. I have never been to Porto and it truly is a beautiful city worth a longer visit. The Cathedral was beautiful, as were the botanical gardens near the University! I saw a fair number of pilgrims milling about so it’s starting to get busy. On a guided walking trip around Porto ( worth it for me as a newbie) - of the 8 of us in the English language group, 4 were walking the camino! Here are a few fav pics! Bye for now!
Might cross paths along the way.
Bomb Caminho

What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the river. I watched the colourful poncho geared pilgrims pass by - I counted around 25 in 30 minutes. Today I am seeing the Atlantic Ocean! There is something about the sea that makes me feel connected to humanity. Her rhythms remind me to be humble and grateful! The Matosinhos tourist bureau has a stamp and shared a brochure “ Hot spots between land and sea.” One listing is the large fibre art sculpture by Janet Echelman. A few years ago I had watched a wonderful TED talk she gave on inspiration - where she highlighted the art came to be, its meaning and shared photos of it being installed. Wonderful to see it live! Tomorrow more seaside - planning 15 km. Happy walking 🇨🇦 Jen Here are a few pics of the day

IMG_5768.jpegIMG_5784.jpegIMG_5787.jpegIMG_5797.jpegIMG_5812.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello! Well, Jen love your photos. We are in Vigo seeing lots of pilgrims. The weather yesterday and today is wonderful of course, we start tomorrow with the rain. Rethinking gear. The Decathalon store here in Vigo was OUT of anything Camino-based. Or cold weather gear. Not a hiking pole to be seen. Was directed to a great dept store in downtown called El Conte Inglés. The 5th floor had all things athletic. Including treking poles!
Safe travels. Buen Camino.

Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and some sand covered boardwalks ( slower going but not difficult) and cobblestone beach front paths. Not many water fountains but there were foot washing stations for beach goers to use! From the coast you turn right and go up river to the bridge to enter Vila do Conde, watch for the yellow arrow painted on a rock to direct you. I had to check the app as you walk thru thru a newly developing sub division - see one of my pics, yes I was going the right way! 😊 One thing that was a topic of discussion at the Albergue was pilgrim meals - we are walking at the coast thru holiday and beach resort towns so I have not seen them posted as in other Caminos however there have been daily specials or menus of the day that are very reasonable. Today as I waited for the Albergue to open I had one of my best meals to date - 15 euros for lunch of soup, bread, my choice of three tapas from a huge list and bottled water. Restaurant near the 11th century fort facing the boardwalk - something Iberica I believe? Tomorrow rain is predicted- so my big blue poncho will get an airing. I’ve moved my wool socks to the top of the pack in case a change is needed mid day! Wish me luck. Hope you enjoy some of the photos taken along the way - photo 2 is where I had to check that yes I was supposed to be walking thru the subdivision 😊🇨🇦

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpeg
    IMG_5882.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5883.jpeg
    IMG_5883.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5890.jpeg
    IMG_5890.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5887.jpeg
    IMG_5887.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5892.jpeg
    IMG_5892.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5913.jpeg
    IMG_5913.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5907.jpeg
    IMG_5907.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 57
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello! Well, Jen love your photos. We are in Vigo seeing lots of pilgrims. The weather yesterday and today is wonderful of course, we start tomorrow with the rain. Rethinking gear. The Decathalon store here in Vigo was OUT of anything Camino-based. Or cold weather gear. Not a hiking pole to be seen. Was directed to a great dept store in downtown called El Conte Inglés. The 5th floor had all things athletic. Including treking poles!
Safe travels. Buen Camino.
Thank you! Are you excited? I will be thinking of you both❤️It would not be a camino without a little rain - would it! I do my longest day tomorrow as well! 18km! Did I tell you my poles arrived! So I did not have to buy anything!

Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and some sand covered boardwalks ( slower going but not difficult) and cobblestone beach front paths. Not many water fountains but there were foot washing stations for beach goers to use! From the coast you turn right and go up river to the bridge to enter Vila do Conde, watch for the yellow arrow painted on a rock to direct you. I had to check the app as you walk thru thru a newly developing sub division - see one of my pics, yes I was going the right way! 😊 One thing that was a topic of discussion at the Albergue was pilgrim meals - we are walking at the coast thru holiday and beach resort towns so I have not seen them posted as in other Caminos however there have been daily specials or menus of the day that are very reasonable. Today as I waited for the Albergue to open I had one of my best meals to date - 15 euros for lunch of soup, bread, my choice of three tapas from a huge list and bottled water. Restaurant near the 11th century fort facing the boardwalk - something Iberica I believe? Tomorrow rain is predicted- so my big blue poncho will get an airing. I’ve moved my wool socks to the top of the pack in case a change is needed mid day! Wish me luck. Hope you enjoy some of the photos taken along the way - photo 2 is where I had to check that yes I was supposed to be walking thru the subdivision 😊🇨🇦
Thanks for sharing,
I was curious about the kind of shoes you are using for the sandy boardwalks.

The weather forecast was accurate- so all geared up for rain! A bit less meandering today as the distance was longer around 22 and it was raining for most of the day! Lovely how the camino provides - I had a wonderful walking partner today which made the time fly by, and the coffee stop seemed timed with when there was a heavier bit of rain. Today we were on the coast and there is the odd sign showing up. Great boardwalks to walk on and some sea, historic windmills and market gardens to look at! Today I am grateful for company, warm Hostal hosts and a day well walked. Tomorrow - shock- I am going off camino, taking the opportunity to visit Braga where I will take a rest day and explore!

Attachments

• IMG_5923.jpeg
    IMG_5923.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5927.jpeg
    IMG_5927.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5926.jpeg
    IMG_5926.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5939.jpeg
    IMG_5939.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5951.jpeg
    IMG_5951.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tomorrow - shock- I am going off camino, taking the opportunity to visit Braga where I will take a rest day and explore!
Braga might not be on the Costal route, but it is on a caminho route just the same!! There appears to be three ways to go north:
  • heading to Ponte de Lima and continuing on the Caminho Portuguese Central route
  • joining up with the Ignacio Taverneiro, although that route might not be well defined on the Portuguese side of the border
  • following Geira Arrieiros Road north to Santiago.

The weather forecast was accurate- so all geared up for rain! A bit less meandering today as the distance was longer around 22 and it was raining for most of the day! Lovely how the camino provides - I had a wonderful walking partner today which made the time fly by, and the coffee stop seemed timed with when there was a heavier bit of rain. Today we were on the coast and there is the odd sign showing up. Great boardwalks to walk on and some sea, historic windmills and market gardens to look at! Today I am grateful for company, warm Hostal hosts and a day well walked. Tomorrow - shock- I am going off camino, taking the opportunity to visit Braga where I will take a rest day and explore!
We loved Braga! Have a great time. The rain here is forecast for the next 4-5 days. But more serious 1-2” per day. So we will take our time. Be careful

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Day 5 to Antas
After a day and night in wonderful Braga I took a cab back to Fao to rejoin the route. Seasides, sun, sand dunes and market gardens were along the path today. Walked the literal route - there are signs at the beach parking lots that mark your position, it’s interesting walking behind sand dunes and just hearing the sea! Some paths were just sand tracks, a few sections walking on the beach, so at times faith was needed I was going the right way. Brierley’s book map guided me showing that just past the lookout and at the campground is where I needed to walk inland 25 minutes to get to Antas which is on the coastal route. Sweet little bakery in Antas provided a wonderful afternoon coffee as the rain started😊. On the posted map was the reflection question I used today “You are here” to which I added, be present, be open and enjoy the day.

Attachments

• IMG_5992.jpeg
    IMG_5992.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6042.jpeg
    IMG_6042.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6038.jpeg
    IMG_6038.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Braga might not be on the Costal route, but it is on a caminho route just the same!! There appears to be three ways to go north:
  • heading to Ponte de Lima and continuing on the Caminho Portuguese Central route
  • joining up with the Ignacio Taverneiro, although that route might not be well defined on the Portuguese side of the border
  • following Geira Arrieiros Road north to Santiago.
Thanks Dougfitz! Due to time I cabbed to and from Braga from Fao - I did however get a Bom Jesus stamp! In future it would be great to walk to Ponte de Lima!

Day 6 to Viana do Castelo
It’s interesting how rain and being all wrapped up in your poncho helps me be more reflective. This camino and doing it solo is giving me time and space for reflection for which I am grateful. Today is the first day off alternative and Senda Litoral routes and on the coastal route where trail markings, shells and advertisements of Albergue’s and cafes where seen today. I felt comforted by seeing the many trail signs, so reflected today about what gives me comfort in my life and why. I also saw a few more pilgrims but not the wave I saw leaving Porto. I saw maybe 20 pilgrims today? Was a bit sloppy on the trail during the forest but still passable, with my tricky knee I take my time and hiking poles a real must! With the rain the river was magnificent and no trouble crossing the rio Nieve. Highlights of the day - having the Igreja Santiago de Castelo do Neiva open so I could visit the first church in Portugal dedicated to StJames - joining my footsteps to others who have gone before! Another highlight was found around 1.5 km later - a roadside donativo with seating areas out of the rain offering fruit, hard boiled eggs still warm, a kettle for tea, coffee brewed, a cooler with juices, and more - all on the honour system. It appeared just when I needed a break. Was mystical seeing the Cathedral shrouded in mist on the hill as I came into town. See you on the trail! Jen

Attachments

• IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6068.jpeg
    IMG_6068.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6070.jpeg
    IMG_6070.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6072.jpeg
    IMG_6072.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6082.jpeg
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Day 7 to Vila Praia de Ancore
It’s wet and cool and my nose is telling me that I worked up a sweat under my poncho today! The hiking poles got good use today. Staying in an Albergue tonight that has all twin beds - yeah. I have been enjoying meeting people from all over the world. My informal tally is the largest number of pilgrims I have met so far are from Germany. I also met a mid size guided group travelling from South Africa. I met around 5 from the Chek Republic, same number from the U.S, a few from France, some fellow Canadians, two from Luxembourg, and one pilgrim from Sweden so far! Saw many more people today - a good 50 passed me as I go my turtle pace, all cheerful and wishing each other a good walk! Some pilgrims even made use of the swings along the beach despite the rain! Hope everyone is warm and dry tonight! Jen from Canada

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpeg
    IMG_6121.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6115.jpeg
    IMG_6115.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6104.jpeg
    IMG_6104.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6105.jpeg
    IMG_6105.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
Day 8 to A Guarda
Walk, ferry, walk - relax or maybe squelch, 💧 💧 💨 🛥️ slip and slide and then I’m here so poncho and shoes off😊 Was a wet few hours of walking but greasing up my feet with my compede stick and wool socks are working with my Hoka trail runners!
Sad to say Adeus Portugal 🇵🇹 and at the same time happy to say Hola Espana 🇪🇸 ! It’s Sun so not much open on the route to the Ferry so had my first cafe con leche of the day in the first open cafe - which warmed body and soul! A guarda is a pretty town looks as if it was built around the harbour and the fort on the hill. Will find out more tomorrow when the tourist center is open! Here are some pics from the day- mist and rain did not give us that first glimpse of Spain but we knew it was there😊

Attachments

• IMG_6125.jpeg
    IMG_6125.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6134.jpeg
    IMG_6134.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6130.jpeg
    IMG_6130.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6140.jpeg
    IMG_6140.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6168.jpeg
    IMG_6168.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6163.jpeg
    IMG_6163.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Day 9 to Oia
What a wonderful walking day! Blue sky, blue water and not a poncho to be seen! Walking to the sound of the waves, to the sound of bird song, listening to the sound of the earth beneath my feet, feeling connected. With my slow pace I often get passed and at times I find myself automatically speeding up. It makes me reflect on - how has competition affected my life? I feel blessed to have the time and space to ponder Q that come up as I walk. This helps me focus on who I wish to be now that I am retired, and getting rewired😊! Highlight from the day first Spanish Tortilla, and watching the fishermen fishing off the rocks.IMG_6197.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6198.jpeg
    IMG_6198.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6209.jpeg
    IMG_6209.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6216.jpeg
    IMG_6216.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6200.jpeg
    IMG_6200.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6202.jpeg
    IMG_6202.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, Just looking for some advice whether you think it would be better to start in Vigo or Tui? We have previously walked Sarria to Santiago in 5 days so hoping to do something similar...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back