• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting June 9 from SJPP

rubincon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (planned)
hi! My name is Connor and I'll be starting June 9 from Saint Jean. I had a question for experienced camino walkers before I finalize my packing list, however. Are shorts with liners OK for day-to-day wear? I normally run in shorts with built in underwear/liners, but have never had such extensive everyday use. Will I be OK or am I about to be in chafe-city?

Excited to begin and hope to see you all on the walk!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked the Camino in warm weather I wore shorts everyday. Hiking shorts, gusseted crotch and long, almost knee length, synthetic workout type semi compression shorts, also gusseted crotch. I stress the gusseted crotch because I've found that type of shorts and underwear to eliminate chafing. I still always bring a tube of Vaseline in case I do get the occasional chafing.

hi! My name is Connor and I'll be starting June 9 from Saint Jean. I had a question for experienced camino walkers before I finalize my packing list, however. Are shorts with liners OK for day-to-day wear? I normally run in shorts with built in underwear/liners, but have never had such extensive everyday use. Will I be OK or am I about to be in chafe-city?

Excited to begin and hope to see you all on the walk!
I walked the Cumbria way some years ago in fairly heavy duty shorts with separate underpants and had the most awful chafing. Have since walked a couple of thousand km on Caminos in extremely lightweight Rohan shorts and separate underpants and have had none so impossible to tell until you try. I suggest that you take a small tube of Vaseline until it becomes clear how things will go. If you’re fine after a few days, you’ll probably be fine until Santiago. I suspect that the warm weather in Spain has a lot to do with it. My wife and I are also leaving St. Jean on the 9th June with a couple of friends. Perhaps our paths will cross 😊. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Cumbria way some years ago in fairly heavy duty shorts with separate underpants and had the most awful chafing. Have since walked a couple of thousand km on Caminos in extremely lightweight Rohan shorts and separate underpants and have had none so impossible to tell until you try. I suggest that you take a small tube of Vaseline until it becomes clear how things will go. If you’re fine after a few days, you’ll probably be fine until Santiago. I suspect that the warm weather in Spain has a lot to do with it. My wife and I are also leaving St. Jean on the 9th June with a couple of friends. Perhaps our paths will cross 😊. Buen camino.
Thanks! The shorts I'm thinking of using are the lightest/most breathable running shorts I own so they're quick drying - they just happen to have the liner. I've worn them for running half marathons without issue so my hope is that they're going to be OK. I also have "sport" boxer briefs but I'm wondering if doubling up and wearing the boxer briefs underneath the shorts would actually cause the chafing I'm trying to avoid...

hi! My name is Connor and I'll be starting June 9 …

One other comment. You’re bound to have been told to keep your rucksack as light as possible. This really is important. Walking 25km day after day has a huge impact on knees, shoulders etc. Aim for around 7kg total weight including pack and 500g water. This will make the walk so much more comfortable.

Thanks! The shorts I'm thinking of using are the lightest/most breathable running shorts I own so they're quick drying - they just happen to have the liner. I've worn them for running half marathons without issue so my hope is that they're going to be OK. I also have "sport" boxer briefs but I'm wondering if doubling up and wearing the boxer briefs underneath the shorts would actually cause the chafing I'm trying to avoid...
You might be right. Perhaps take a single pair of briefs but try walking without them. I suspect you’ll be absolutely fine.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.