• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Late May 2014 in SJPP

Dzyduck87

Northwest Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2014
It's official. Natasha and I have bought our plane tickets from Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada into Madrid (landing May 20th). We have 2 nights there. A night in Pamplona on the way to SJPP and we start from SJPP on the 24. So far I have a backpack, a spork, 2 rain ponchos and disposable wine glasses :D. I virtually have my trip mapped out from start to finish, but it's just a guide to keep our distance on track and make sure we're budgeting to the high end of the spectrum (We're taking $2950 each).

My packlist will include
1 pair each shorts/pants
1 thin sweater + 1 thin jacket (all clothing treated with permethrin)
ultra-light sleeping bag (gift from a community member)
ear plugs
shampoo, conditioner and laundry detergent in Mio containers
Sharpie
maple leaf pins
lollipops
toilet paper
ziploc bags
my own little pharmacy
a large scarf for a head wrap (my favorite item in Africa)
cards/crib board
a neck pillow I can attach to my backpack
compass
water bottle
30248234820394802 carabiners

I'd love any advice/notice of people leaving around the same time.

I'd also like to say, don't put off your camino. I'm 26. I SHOULD be focusing on my career and settling down to have a family. I have my EMR certification and I could go get a 9-5 with my city's emergency services. Stick it to the man. I'm going on an adventure and coming home broke. Don't wait until you're in your 60s and realize that you should have done it before. Do it now.

I'm so excited to meet some fellow peregrinos.

Buen Camino a todos
558323_10153275302565648_2133111564_n.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So happy you are ignoring the “shoulds" and making your pilgrimage. You will never regret doing it and may find yourself forever looking for new adventures. Besides, you are young enough, you can always make more money, have a career and settle down and have a family later.

I did my first pilgrimage in 2012 at age 70 and walked 230 miles in 3 weeks. In two months I will begin my second pilgrimage at age 72 and will walk 530 miles and have 2 glorious months in which to do it, all the way to Finisterre. There are a lot of us in our 60’s, 70’s and even 80’s out there walking. I’ll be 10 days ahead of you. You will likely catch up and pass me. I’m taking my time. Oh the joy of being older than dirt!

So happy you are ignoring the “shoulds" and making your pilgrimage. You will never regret doing it and may find yourself forever looking for new adventures. Besides, you are young enough, you can always make more money, have a career and settle down and have a family later.

I did my first pilgrimage in 2012 at age 70 and walked 230 miles in 3 weeks. In two months I will begin my second pilgrimage at age 72 and will walk 530 miles and have 2 glorious months in which to do it, all the way to Finisterre. There are a lot of us in our 60’s, 70’s and even 80’s out there walking. I’ll be 10 days ahead of you. You will likely catch up and pass me. I’m taking my time. Oh the joy of being older than dirt!

I hope to see you! We will not be marching fast, we're looking at it as a drawn out walking wine tour lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dzyduck...I'm actually heading from Seattle Wa to Madrid May 4. Walking the Camino for how ever long it takes me, them bouncing around Spain till Pamplona July 5th for San Fermin. I'll be heading home, if I decide to leave Spain July 10th too. As to your packing list...make sure you have enough disposable wine glasses. I'm just flasking it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a Leatherman-style pocket knife with a cork screw. I got it for the other practical things, such as the knife and scissors, but I suspect the cork screw will be the most used implement on the thing ;)

We are starting from Leon on June 5, so we might run into each other. You'll have about 10 days walking when we start, you probably won't be to Leon yet, but you never know. Look for the curly-haired Hobbit with the red backpack, walking with an Aztec-looking Hobbit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a Leatherman-style pocket knife with a cork screw. I got it for the other practical things, such as the knife and scissors, but I suspect the cork screw will be the most used implement on the thing ;)

We are starting from Leon on June 5, so we might run into each other. You'll have about 10 days walking when we start, you probably won't be to Leon yet, but you never know. Look for the curly-haired Hobbit with the red backpack, walking with an Aztec-looking Hobbit.

Look for the curly-haired Hobbit with the red backpack, walking with an Aztec-looking Hobbit.[/quote]

You just gave me a laugh out loud moment on a cold night.
Buen Camino

I'd also like to say, don't put off your camino. I'm 26. I SHOULD be focusing on my career and settling down to have a family. I have my EMR certification and I could go get a 9-5 with my city's emergency services. Stick it to the man. I'm going on an adventure and coming home broke. Don't wait until you're in your 60s and realize that you should have done it before. Do it now.
You are giving fantastic advice considering your age (no offense intended). You will gain MUCH more for your life than if you followed the pack/ratrace.

BUEN Camino!

Animo! I totally agree with Alexwalker. I'm 26 myself and starting the camino early may :). Sometimes in life we just need to take the jump.

I would like to share this poem on the topic :

Risk Poet: William Arthur Ward

To laugh is to risk appearing a fool,
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach out to another is to risk involvement,
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self.
To place your ideas and dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure.

But risks must be taken because
the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing,
does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live.
Chained by his servitude he is a slave
who has forfeited all freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dzyduck...I'm actually heading from Seattle Wa to Madrid May 4. Walking the Camino for how ever long it takes me, them bouncing around Spain till Pamplona July 5th for San Fermin. I'll be heading home, if I decide to leave Spain July 10th too. As to your packing list...make sure you have enough disposable wine glasses. I'm just flasking it.
Animo! I totally agree with Alexwalker. I'm 26 myself and starting the camino early may :). Sometimes in life we just need to take the jump.

I would like to share this poem on the topic :

Risk Poet: William Arthur Ward

To laugh is to risk appearing a fool,
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach out to another is to risk involvement,
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self.
To place your ideas and dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure.

But risks must be taken because
the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing,
does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live.
Chained by his servitude he is a slave
who has forfeited all freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

This reminds me of my favourite quote! If anyone meets me on the camino I know the whole thing verbatim or cerca de verbatim ;)
I believe that if one man were to live out his life, fully and completely;
were to give form to every feeling, expression to every thought and reality to every dream
that the world would gain such a fresh impulse of joy that we might return to the Helenic ideal
to something finer - richer than the Helenic ideal it may be.
But the bravest man amongst us is afraid of himself.
The mutilation of the savage has its' tragic survival in the self-denial that mars our lives.
Every impulse we strive to strangle broods in the mind, and poisons us.

€83,-
Don't forget to pack a corkscrew, I'll be about two week behind you. I start 6/6.
Sound advice - I found that even the big grocery stores will open it for you if it gets misplaced!

Will be ahead of you---Leaving Pennsylvania May 13--Watch the YouTube vid on how to open a wine bottle with a sword; Also on globetrekker show; Knife works just as well as a sword. it's how Fench cavalry opened wine while riding horses. Was told that you MUST buy knife in France/Spain prior to walking as they will be confiscated when boarding bus or train in Spain. Maybe like Mexico (I hope) where the bus driver gets your knife and gives it back to you at destination?

Nice philosophy. Definitely do it while you can. Nothing wrong with being broke at 26. You have the rest of your life to make money again.

I'm 53, did the Camino last summer after working overseas. I'm still between gigs and want to walk the Camino again this summer. I know as soon as I get back to the 8-5 here in the US doing it again will be difficult, so I figure do it again now while I can.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will be ahead of you---Leaving Pennsylvania May 13--Watch the YouTube vid on how to open a wine bottle with a sword; Also on globetrekker show; Knife works just as well as a sword. it's how Fench cavalry opened wine while riding horses. Was told that you MUST buy knife in France/Spain prior to walking as they will be confiscated when boarding bus or train in Spain. Maybe like Mexico (I hope) where the bus driver gets your knife and gives it back to you at destination?

If knives are confiscated on buses or trains in Spain I'm sure a French cavalry sword will probably not go unnoticed by the authorities. A corkscrew is probably a more subtle way to open a bottle of wine and is a lot lighter to carry than a cavalry sword.

You can also open a bottle of wine only using your shoe. Google it!

I start from SJ on the 12th/13th of May, good luck to all who are setting out on this exciting journey!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm departing SJPDP on the 27th, but as I plan to take it nice and easy that first week. So we may pass each other.

$2950! You can live like queens! I put a 20euro note in my pocket each day from my "stash" and stuck (as well as I could) to only spending that during the day. 32 days- that's only 640 euros! Of course, on Sundays I splurged on a private room, and sometimes two glasses of vino tinto just weren't enough... but I can't imagine how well I could have lived on almost three grand ;)

Have an amazing trip! I myself am 28 and sure, marriage and babies and a practical career should be on the near horizon... but too bad that's just not appealing at this point. Itching to get back on The Way! (After spending most of my money in South America over the coming Winter...eh who needs it?) Buen Camino :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I arrive in Pamplona on 27th May so we may pass each other along the way.

Buen Camino.

It looks like I'll have good company - I'm starting my walk from SJ on May 31st. My 30th birthday. I know I should be all home and pregnant and stuff, but this just seemed more important right now :)

Perfect birthday present I reckon! :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
It looks like I'll have good company - I'm starting my walk from SJ on May 31st. My 30th birthday. I know I should be all home and pregnant and stuff, but this just seemed more important right now :)
Great present to yourself. I retire so the camino is my present. I am starting on the 29th so hopefully we can share a glass of wine for our celebration. Buen Camino

Look out behind you :) i am there I start from SJPP on the 26 may !
Bon camino !
Hello Andrei, we are also starting on the 26th of may from SJPP. I have ar quastion, do you arrive on the 25th to Biarritz? If so, have you decided how to get to SJPP? We are looking for some one to share a taxi and we are two traveling together from Sweden. Please let me know if you are interested in this. I wish you a Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was starting my babies at your age (having travelled for three years).....be assured that babies don't stop the adventure of life! They may change the direction, but you can all learn and journey together. In 2012 I walked my first camino with all 8 of my babies. In two weeks I leave again with the four youngest......and when they were 2-14 years we travelled with them all for 15 months. Don't be scared of babies!!

I agree. No-one tells you they are fun! But avoid twins if possible.....They are gorgeous but very hard to chase when they take off in opposite directions.
Hey Kanga, didn't you have a sheep dog to round them up?;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was starting my babies at your age (having travelled for three years).....be assured that babies don't stop the adventure of life! They may change the direction, but you can all learn and journey together. In 2012 I walked my first camino with all 8 of my babies. In two weeks I leave again with the four youngest......and when they were 2-14 years we travelled with them all for 15 months. Don't be scared of babies!!
Thanks for the post! My camino is actually getting me ready for motherhood. I want to be spiritually and mentally with it when I start this even more difficult/scary/rewarding/wonderful pilgrimage.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I am new to the sight but am so excited. My husband and I will be leaving Houston on June 6th. I am excited to say I will walk 500 miles at the age of 55. Bien Camino

Hello Andrei, we are also starting on the 26th of may from SJPP. I have ar quastion, do you arrive on the 25th to Biarritz? If so, have you decided how to get to SJPP? We are looking for some one to share a taxi and we are two traveling together from Sweden. Please let me know if you are interested in this. I wish you a Buen Camino

Hej Gitte

Hej Gitte-66 !
VarifrĂĄn Sverige ? Jag ĂĄker frĂĄn Skavsta med Ryanair .Ni kan maila mig till andrei.cirlan.79@gmail.com

Hej Andrei jag hör av mig imorgon på mailen. Vi åker också fr Skavsta den 25:e maj. Vi hörs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's official. Natasha and I have bought our plane tickets from Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada into Madrid (landing May 20th). We have 2 nights there. A night in Pamplona on the way to SJPP and we start from SJPP on the 24. So far I have a backpack, a spork, 2 rain ponchos and disposable wine glasses :D. I virtually have my trip mapped out from start to finish, but it's just a guide to keep our distance on track and make sure we're budgeting to the high end of the spectrum (We're taking $2950 each).

My packlist will include
1 pair each shorts/pants
ear plugs
Sharpie
maple leaf pins
lollipops
toilet paper
ziploc bags
my own little pharmacy
cards/crib board
compass
water bottle

Buen Camino a todos

Hi Dzyduck87, We are walking from SJPDP on the 26th. It´s such an adventure and we can´t wait to get going. We are from Sweden and who knows we might bump into each other :) If not I/we wish you a buen Camino.

Thanks for the post! My camino is actually getting me ready for motherhood. I want to be spiritually and mentally with it when I start this even more difficult/scary/rewarding/wonderful pilgrimage.
Mine were very useful yesterday, they joined me on a 20km + hike to see how I would go, we had a ball! (They are 18 & 20 y/o though :) )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where in pa? I am starting with my family on may 12th from erie pa to begin walking on may 17th from sjpdp. This year i turn 50 and this sounded much better than a birthday party!

Mid state -Montour County

You are in the last stages of prep!
Two weeks!
Congratulations.
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My daughter 21 and I 56 start out from PA may 25 and on the camino may 29th. I celebrate 57 years half way in on June 15.
Burn camino. Hasta la. Vista.
I also start on the camino on the 29th of May from St Jean. I will be celebrating my retirement and starting a whole new life, hope to see you. Buen Camino:)

My packlist will include
1 pair each shorts/pants
ear plugs
Sharpie
maple leaf pins
lollipops
toilet paper
ziploc bags
my own little pharmacy
cards/crib board
compass
water bottle

Buen Camino a todos
Hi. I am taking the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles on the 28th of May and starting the walk on the 29th. Very exciting

€83,-
Hi clear skies, hope to see you on the camino since we both leave on the same day from St. Jean. Buen Camino:)

I will keep an eye out for you Rani..I know of 4 other people starting on the same day, so the forum will be well represented :)

You might see me. I am a quick walker but I am in no hurry this year :)
Hi, I am also a quick walker but not in a rush at all. That's great to hear that 4 others are starting the same day. Hope to see you real soon. Buen Camino:)

I am loving reading these posts and knowing I will be meeting up with some amazing people. I have been a little nervous about travelling alone for the first time but am getting quite excited that I will meet a number of you as we are leaving around the same time. I will have an Aqua backpack and hope my forum badge arrives in time. Only 17 days till I leave Australia.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.