• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Le Puy on Sat

Leigh Macklin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances {2016}, Portugese {2017}, CdN {2019},
It's been a tiring adventure getting from my home in Hamilton Canada to Le Puy. A bus, two plans and 3 trains.

Got here safely, dropped off my backpack and just bought my poles and credential. Time for a much needed break before crashing tonight.

Attachments

• 20230713_151721.jpg
    20230713_151721.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,622
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In your experience, how accessible is the mass for someone speaking (very) limited French?
From my point of view the major reason for going to the mass (with pilgrims blessing) do not require french:
- the number of pilgrims from various origin and various believing.
- the friendliness of the ceremony
- the surprise at the end (I will not tell you in order to keep it a surprise !)

It's been a tiring adventure getting from my home in Hamilton Canada to Le Puy. A bus, two plans and 3 trains.

Got here safely, dropped off my backpack and just bought my poles and credential. Time for a much needed break before crashing tonight.
Bonjour Leigh. Love the photo. Le Puy en Velay looking as inviting as ever ❤️

When you are close to Lectoure - feel free to send me a Private message. We live in Lectoure and I’m always happy to meet pilgrims passing through or stopping for the night.

It’s a glorious path. And yes, mind the heat - usually hottest mid to late afternoon. Bon chemin. 😎🇫🇷❤️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In your experience, how accessible is the mass for someone speaking (very) limited French?
Well, that depends on how well you know your way around a relatively standard Catholic liturgy. I grew up Lutheran, and have been an Episcopalian for many years, so the sequence of the liturgy was familiar. There is enough commonality between English and French, that I could tell where in the process we were. I understood not a word of the sermon, and the hymns were not familiar. But the language of the soul does not use words, so I found it spiritually enriching despite my lack of French proficiency. Catholics will tell you that only Catholics can receive communion, but the rest of us are welcome to go forward (cross arms over your chest) to receive a blessing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Leigh, i was wondering where you bought your poles?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have an app on my phone with the daily Mass reading, so I can follow that part in English no matter what country I am in.

If yesterday was day -1, today was day zero. I meant to take a day to see Le Puy on Bastille day. Good thing that was accounted for because after mass I sat in my hotel and couldn't eat. Despite being a hefty person...my stomach was asleep and refused to eat. The lovely receptionist loaded me up with fresh orange juices and croissants. Had a 7 hour nap then stocked up on food for the next two days. Note: After the blessing I cried. While I've been busy with my religious community it was my 1st service back in person since covid and cancer. Surprisingly emotional.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't miss the morning mass for pilgrims. I'll never forget it. Great sendoff.

You will just love the route the GR65 takes you.

Buen Camino

Hi Leigh.
I've just finished (Le Puy - St Jean)in June and had no incident, fantastic scenery and every church is open!. It was quite challenging for the first 10 days so I took it easy. Glad to hear you bought sticks as a 28 year old South African girl (after 3 days) fell, going down a mountain, broke her leg in 2 places, got airlifted back to a Le Puy hospital then flown home. She had a pin put in. She didn't have poles! Bon Chemin! 🦘

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bonjour Leigh. Love the photo. Le Puy en Velay looking as inviting as ever ❤️

When you are close to Lectoure - feel free to send me a Private message. We live in Lectoure and I’m always happy to meet pilgrims passing through or stopping for the night.

It’s a glorious path. And yes, mind the heat - usually hottest mid to late afternoon. Bon chemin. 😎🇫🇷❤️
I'll be overnighting in Lectoure around 31 Aug, I hope. I'd be delighted to meet a fellow forum member and get advice.

I'll be overnighting in Lectoure around 31 Aug, I hope. I'd be delighted to meet a fellow forum member and get advice.
FWIW... three options in Lecture to consider.

1) There are some hot springs. It's essentially an indoor pool fed by the springs. Warning, men must wear speedos. That was a non-started for me, so I passed.

2) There is a beautiful outdoor public pool. It was closed for the season when I passed through.

3) Climb the tower. You get the key at the tourism office. I was the only one up there. It was great. Strongly recommend.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back