• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my Camino on May 12th

Scotsreb

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2014, SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela,
Lisbon-Santiago de Compostela, June 2016
I turn 65 on May 06th and leave California for Saint Jean Pied de Port on May 08th. My (solo) Camino begins on May 12th. I am excited and hope that my training will pay off to allow me to get on down the road without a hitch in my git-along.

Planning on 30 walking days to Santiago, but we shall see.

I have a train reservation from Biarritz to Saint Jean, but the only train seems to be late in the afternoon. Are there scheduled bus services between those two points that will allow an earlier arrival into Saint Jean?

On we go.
Philip

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Phillip, I start my Camino from SJPdP on May 14th, two days after you. Maybe our paths will cross and you can help me celebrate my 72nd birthday somewhere along the way on June 14th.. Buen Camino! And Happy Birthday!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Phillip, I start my Camino from SJPdP on May 14th, two days after you. Maybe our paths will cross and you can help me celebrate my 72nd birthday somewhere along the way on June 14th.. Buen Camino! And Happy Birthday!!
Hey Patty, Happy Birthday to you too. I hope that we do cross paths on the way and hoist a glass of wine together in celebration.
Buen Camino

I have a train reservation from Biarritz to Saint Jean, but the only train seems to be late in the afternoon. Are there scheduled bus services between those two points that will allow an earlier arrival into Saint Jean?

Philip,

There is NO scheduled bus service to SJPdP unless the trains are not running and then the bus is provided by the train and departs from the Bayonne rail station.

What time do you arrive in Biarritz? Is your train connection from Biarritz to Bayonne to SJPdP? Alternately do you have a train just from Bayonne to SJPdP?

May 8 is a legal holiday in France, FĂŞte de la Victoire, commemorating the end of WW2.
All transport will be on holiday schedule. However there is a TER ligne 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP at 14.55/arrives16.14/Everyday and HOLIDAYS. For more info see this Forum thread.

Bon Voyage,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Philip,

There is NO scheduled bus service to SJPdP unless the trains are not running and then the bus is provided by the train and departs from the Bayonne rail station.

What time do you arrive in Biarritz? Is your train connection from Biarritz to Bayonne to SJPdP? Alternately do you have a train just from Bayonne to SJPdP?

May 8 is a legal holiday in France, FĂŞte de la Victoire, commemorating the end of WW2.
All transport will be on holiday schedule. However there is a TER ligne 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP at 14.55/arrives16.14/Everyday and HOLIDAYS. For more info see this Forum thread.

Bon Voyage,

Margaret Meredith

Dear Margaret,
What a joy to get your message and the information you provided. You obviously have a clue.
I arrive in CDG on May 09th @ 16:30 hrs, taxi to the Gare d'Austerlitz for an overnight sleeper train departing @ 21:54 hrs. This train arrives in Biarritz/Bayonne @ 08:34 hrs/10th.

It seems I have to wait until 18:06 hrs for the train ex Bayonne for SJPDP.

OK, if there is no bus service or earlier train, is there a good pub to hang out in for the day, or a good museum, or a good park, or a good church ?????

Cheers,
Philip

Hi Philip,
I'll be starting one day after you from SJPdP. Is this your first Camino? You as excited as I am? A little nervous maybe?
See you there!
Buen Camino,
Carla

Hey Carla,
Yes, I am totally excited and full of anticipation for the Camino. It is my first walking pilgrimage, though I pray it is not my last.
I hope to see you along the way.
Buen Camino.
Philip

Attachments

• upload_2014-4-16_23-17-13.png
    upload_2014-4-16_23-17-13.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 8
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Philip,

The overnight train from Austerlitz is my recent train of choice for SJPdP!

Since you arrive Bayonne on Saturday May 10 to SJPdP
you can take the TER at 11.07/arrives 12.25/Monday thru Saturday. Bingo!!

By the way the Gare SNCF in Bayonne is small and easily navigated. The staff is helpful and used to dealing with throngs of pilgrims as well as vacationers. They will help you find your way. The station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; relax and have breakfast. Their croissants are great!

Margaret Meredith

Philip,

The overnight train from Austerlitz is my recent train of choice for SJPdP!

Since you arrive Bayonne on Saturday May 10 to SJPdP
you can take the TER at 11.07/arrives 12.25/Monday thru Saturday. Bingo!!

By the way the Gare SNCF in Bayonne is small and easily navigated. The staff is helpful and used to dealing with throngs of pilgrims as well as vacationers. They will help you find your way. The station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; relax and have breakfast. Their croissants are great!

Margaret Meredith
Dear Margaret,
You are a blessing. Many thanks for the information. Bingo indeed!!
I am SO looking forward to returning to France.... it has been too many years.
I hope that I have not forgotten too much.
Also, with VE Day, how joyful will the day be?
Thanks again & Buen Camino.
Philip

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I'll be taking the train from Bayonne to SJPP since I'm spending a couple of days in Paris first. It looks like I'll be arriving much later in the day though, so I have some concerns about getting in and stamped, etc. to start walking the next day. I already have a hotel room booked though because my mom is seeing me off :) and celebrating my birthday with me. Anyway, I'm getting into SJPP on the 30th and walking the next day... so I'll be a bit behind you but maybe I'll catch you in Santiago.

I turn 65 on May 06th and leave California for Saint Jean Pied de Port on May 08th. My (solo) Camino begins on May 12th. I am excited and hope that my training will pay off to allow me to get on down the road without a hitch in my git-along.

On we go.
Philip
Hi Philip,
I am a bit concerned about the "30 walking days" - most of us in our 60's need more than 30 days to get from SJPdP to Santiago. Please don't see my comment as being negative - that is not my intention. You are going to have an incredible journey. Buen Camino!

I turn 65 on May 06th

Philip

Philip, are you planning on catching buses?

Unless you are super fit and an experienced long distance walker, 30 days is cutting it fine. I couldn't do it.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be taking the train from Bayonne to SJPP since I'm spending a couple of days in Paris first. It looks like I'll be arriving much later in the day though, so I have some concerns about getting in and stamped, etc. to start walking the next day. I already have a hotel room booked though because my mom is seeing me off :) and celebrating my birthday with me. Anyway, I'm getting into SJPP on the 30th and walking the next day... so I'll be a bit behind you but maybe I'll catch you in Santiago.
Hey Ice, Happy Birthday & Buen Camino.

Thank you, and may the wind be always at your back.

Hi Scotsreb,

That's the way to start, full of confidence. We may have more years behind us than ahead of us, walked it last year in 27 days at 70 years old, but I am sure there is someone out there even quicker. Buses and taxi etc excluded, answers on a postcard please.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Philip,
I am a bit concerned about the "30 walking days" - most of us in our 60's need more than 30 days to get from SJPdP to Santiago. Please don't see my comment as being negative - that is not my intention. You are going to have an incredible journey. Buen Camino!

Hey Santiago_67,
As I learned long ago, a plan is only good up until the time the operation begins. You may be quite right about my expectation of 30 walking days.
I have 34 days available in total for the Camino. My training walks have averaged 18-20 miles per day, 3 times per week, for the last 2-3 months.
All of that said, Man proposes, but God disposes. I guess I shall see how it goes, but however it goes, I am extremely excited about the Camino.
Thanks for your concern, I take it both positively and constructively.
Buen Camino.

Hey Santiago_67,
As I learned long ago, a plan is only good up until the time the operation begins. You may be quite right about my expectation of 30 walking days.
I have 34 days available in total for the Camino. My training walks have averaged 18-20 miles per day, 3 times per week, for the last 2-3 months.
All of that said, Man proposes, but God disposes. I guess I shall see how it goes, but however it goes, I am extremely excited about the Camino.
Buen Camino.
1497795_10153615123550262_117387026_n.jpg When the path looks like this - one is slowed down a bit.

Hey Santiago_67,
Buen Camino.
Hi Scotsreb,
I am just home in Scotland after completing my Camino in 30 mostly,fairly easy days,four of which were half days.
I celebrated my 66th birthday en route and walked 3 days more to Fisterra.
If you are half fit it's no big deal,go for it!
Buen Camino,
Graham

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jeepers you lot are fit! I feel like a snail....

Buen Camino pilgrim pattymo7206 from one young pilgrim to another nice and steady does it ! :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back