• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New here. Starting my research to decide on maybe Le Puy?

Claret73

Time of past OR future Camino
'Le Chemin du Puy' either late 2024 or Spring 2025
Evening! I've decided I need some time out and will look to use my employer's sabbatical option to spend 2 months in Europe. I've been on my Summer Mountain Leader Journey for some years, so am a keen walker in the sense of Mountain days & short expeditions in the UK. I'm going to park the award for now and I hope to have enough savings plus my Camino costs to do a route this year.

I'm looking forward to collating my information. All advice is welcome, Thank You for having me!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Claret! You will find this forum to be very helpful. I'm sure a few Le Puy pilgrims will respond soon. I can't provide any info as I haven't walked this path altho I hope to someday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What is it you are looking for on your Camino?

I would love to do the Le Puy as it sounds beautiful, and you'd have plenty of time for just the Le Puy. If your planning on Le Puy all the way via the Frances to Santiago then two months would be a stretch.

Deeper in Spain you have the Primitivo, San Salvador and other less walked beautiful mountainous Camino routes that could be combined with the Frances or Norte - if you like your mountains.

A french girl told me most albergues in France are private room and cost €25* per night including an evening meal and breakfast. You might want to verify that but it might help with your costing.

*Edit, per below I stand corrected. I'm not sure what route she did that the rate was set at €25. She's young and pretty so that might have helped.

Last edited:
A french girl told me most albergues in France are private room and cost €25 per night including an evening meal and breakfast. You might want to verify that but it might help with your costing.
When I walked the Le Puy in 2018 the average cost was €35 per night. (I never saw €25). I would think the cost would be even higher now.
Edit- My average daily expenditure was €50-55.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Even in 2010-11, the average for me was E40, then add in about E5 for groceries for your daily picnic lunch.

By all means, start your Camino experience by walking in France. The first half of the Le Puy route (as far as Cahors) has the most climb/descent. And correspondingly the best scenery. You might also be interested in starting in Geneva, as that route takes you to Le Puy. Continuing onward, for a fit mountain goat such as yourself, you can likely do Geneva - SJPP in your 2 month window.

Firstly, I don't know what kind of terrain you've experienced in the Summer Mountain Leader program, but if it's been challenging, the Chemin du Puy might disappoint you. There are some ascents and descents, but I don't believe it will compare with high altitude trails like the Haute Route or the Alta Via. But it is a lovely, scenic walk with many exquisite villages thrown in. The food is better than most of what is found in Spanish lodging unless you chose to seek out the higher priced menu del dia offered in many restaurants. The lodging is also, I would say, a little better than Spanish albergues. So your costs will be higher.

Something you will eventually read, and it was true for me, is that most of the people that you encounter are French. They speak French and at meals in the evening, if you stay in the lower cost gîtes and chambres d'hôtes, meals are frequently served family style and French is the language you will hear. So some French is extremely useful as far as taking part in these communal discussions.

If you do move forward, try to attend the pilgrim mass in Le Puy. I am not religious, but I appreciated the secular send off by the priest and you can begin your journey as you exit the cathedral door and descend its steps.

Bon chemin.

From what I have read, booking ahead will be necessary.

Miam Miam guide book is the one I have seen recommended also

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
of my 8-9 walks, my 2013 LePuy to SdC was the best. 70 days of lovely walking and first half the French experience of local hospitality, and the second half the tradational Spanish experience of fellow pilgrims.
Do it!!!

of my 8-9 walks, my 2013 LePuy to SdC was the best. 70 days of lovely walking and first half the French experience of local hospitality, and the second half the tradational Spanish experience of fellow pilgrims.
Do it!!!
I walked the Le Puy in 2018 to Auvillar with two girlfriends. It was absolutely amazing and a nice change in scenery, food and architecture...do it!

Evening! I've decided I need some time out and will look to use my employer's sabbatical option to spend 2 months in Europe. I've been on my Summer Mountain Leader Journey for some years, so am a keen walker in the sense of Mountain days & short expeditions in the UK. I'm going to park the award for now and I hope to have enough savings plus my Camino costs to do a route this year.

I'm looking forward to collating my information. All advice is welcome, Thank You for having me!
Ok, so, on a forum dedicated to all things Camino and populated by Camino obsessives, addicts and worse I’m gonna go off-piste. If you have your employer’s support through a sabbatical scheme please complete your mountain leaders qualification. There aren’t enough qualified people to help protect the innocent from themselves.

I write as an ex-Outward Bound leader and ex- mountain rescue.

Otherwise, if you really just need some time out: walk, eat, sleep, repeat- then, yes, Camino might provide. So might two months in Bali.

You might want to take a look at the Via de la Plata or the various routes from Barcelona if you want a long contiguous route. Good luck with your planning. Please think seriously about completing your qualification. It might open doors that are not even visible just now

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back