• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting on the 15th (May 2019)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That looks amazingly light to me, but I am not doing my Camino until May 2020, so have yet to experience the packing everything. A huge challenge for me as a I usually overpack... Well done and Buen Camino!

That looks amazingly light to me, but I am not doing my Camino until May 2020, so have yet to experience the packing everything. A huge challenge for me as a I usually overpack... Well done and Buen Camino!
It’s about 13 pounds. It’s been a challenge getting it that low. I have been paring it down all winter :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It’s about 13 pounds. It’s been a challenge getting it that low. I have been paring it down all winter :)

About 5.9 Kg . That's impressive.
I don't see any evening (apres walking) footwear though........ Going without?

About 5.9 Kg . That's impressive.
I don't see any evening (apres walking) footwear though........ Going without?
Good catch! They are included in the 13 pounds but I forgot to pull them out of the pack for the picture. Xero flip flops. I also made a video but it was too long to post.

Good catch! They are included in the 13 pounds but I forgot to pull them out of the pack for the picture. Xero flip flops. I also made a video but it was too long to post.
93F6F498-96FC-4BF4-948A-BF64E3E98FEF.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Someone is going to tell you you could ditch the stuff sacks and green toilet bag and save even more nano-ounces!
Then someone else will say sporks and bowls are unnecessary (you just tell them someone told you they used theirs all the time - and it's true, I did!)

5.9kg is laudable. But I'm puzzled about the green hand-grenade...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Someone is going to tell you you could ditch the stuff sacks and green toilet bag and save even more nano-ounces!
Then someone else will say sporks and bowls are unnecessary (you just tell them someone told you they used theirs all the time - and it's true, I did!)
Lol Thanks! My justification for the stuff sacks is that they’re somewhat waterproof so I figure that will protect my sleep sack and clothes from getting wet which would make me very sad. Also it will help me find things in my pack. The green toiletry thing hangs over a shower rod and has proven handy when camping. I didn’t bring any bowls but I do have a collapsible cup in case someone wants to offer me a glass of wine LOL And I don’t have a knife but the spork has a serrated edge that I can use to cut off pieces of cheese which I plan to eat a lot of :) My towel is huge… I could probably save some weight by bringing a smaller towel. I’m also bringing a comforter which weighs about half a pound But I’m worried it might be cold at first and the Albergues.

Looks neat ,clean and comfortable to carry ,well done:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looking great, and also light! I think you nailed it!
If you find out you need anything else, you can buy it over there, there´s no lack of resources on CF.

Just be aware that if you take it as hand luggage, some airports may ask about the tape. I was stopped twice in different places because of it, apperantly it looks like some electrical device on the X-ray and they have to check if it is indeed tape.

No guidebook, even more commendable. My guess is by week two you will wish you weren't carrying a sleeping bag. Do you have a waterproof cover for your backpack? Or is your poncho big enough for you and your bag?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You have inspired me to rethink what I have packed. But I do have a small sketch book and watercolor palette and brushes for my luxury item. I start May 15th from Porto to do the Camino Portugues.
Buen Camino to you.
IMG_E1993.JPG

Looking great, and also light! I think you nailed it!
If you find out you need anything else, you can buy it over there, there´s no lack of resources on CF.

Just be aware that if you take it as hand luggage, some airports may ask about the tape. I was stopped twice in different places because of it, apperantly it looks like some electrical device on the X-ray and they have to check if it is indeed tape.
Thanks for the info about the tape! I’m checking up packing to that has my hiking poles so maybe I’ll stuff the tape in with those so I won’t have to worry about that.

I tried to upload a packing Video but it was too long so here is the link. The white tube has my poles and a corkscrew. I forgot to mention in the video that I have a notebook and tissue in the backpack pockets and I am wearing a waistband that holds my passport, wallet, and iPhone. I am going to sleep with that waist band on as it is comfy and if someone steals everything else I will have all I need to buy more supplies and finish my trip. http://sherylscamino.home.blog/2019/05/10/packing-video/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No guidebook, even more commendable. My guess is by week two you will wish you weren't carrying a sleeping bag. Do you have a waterproof cover for your backpack? Or is your poncho big enough for you and your bag?
I have a cover that came with the backpack and my poncho is big. I’m not bringing a guidebook but I did tear out some pages that showed the trails. I thought if I were lost and my phone was dead and my Spanish limited I could always point out that town on the map and someone would point me in the right direction LOL. I figured I threw out the pages as I went. I went back-and-forth between a sleeping bag or a sleep sack and I ended up bringing a sleep sack and a comforter from Cosco so the comforter is pretty light weight I think about half a pound so if it gets too hot to need it I just won’t use it. I really went back-and-forth between a poncho and a raincoat or a sleeping bag or a sleep sack. It was hard to decide. My jacket is water resistant and then I sprayed it was some water stuff And it’s super lightweight and comfortable so more multi functional than a rain jacket. The poncho was only five dollars so if I decide I don’t need it I can leave it somewhere for someone else to use. I tried to make a video but it was too long to post so I’m gonna try to share a link. Because I like watching other people’s videos.

You have inspired me to rethink what I have packed. But I do have a small sketch book and watercolor palette and brushes for my luxury item. I start May 15th from Porto to do the Camino Portugues.
Buen Camino to you.
View attachment 56905
Awesome! Please post your paintings! I will look forward to following your perpendicular journey!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Sher,

Presumably your ear-plugs are out of sight in the photo?

Buen (lightly packed) Camino
I do have some earplugs that are in with all of my blister protection stuff. I also have some wireless headphones so I thought if the snoring was bad maybe I could listen to some music.

Thanks for your response because I was being a little cheeky with my comment. But believe there is nothing that can water proof a backpack, this you will learn after walking for 6 hours of constant rain. Even a backpack cover is not imperious. Hanging everything you own on a line inside a albergue hoping it might dry by the morning is the Camino way of life.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great packing !!, I have organised a number of overland motorcycle adventure tours and most people always pack far to much gear that they never use

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back