• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting point in Burgos?

steveire

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Aug-Sept 2014)
Hi,

I'm going to get to Bilbao at about 3pm, and hopefully get a train to Burgos later in the day to start my Camino. I will only arrive in Burgos train station at 19:30 or so. I'm trying to figure out where I should go from the train station?

What is the difference between an albergues and a pension?

Is there generally only one place that pilgrims overnight at in each place? Where is the albergues in Burgos?

Should I try to make a booking to stay there on my first night, because I arrive late?

Sorry if these are silly questions :).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The train station is on the north side of Burgos, so you will need to take a bus or taxi into town. A pension will be a private room with or without a bathroom. There are hundreds of places to stay in Burgos. You cannot book the albergues in Burgos, but you can book a hotel. Try booking.com.

(8) Burgos
Albergue municipal Casa del Cubo y de los Lerma
150 plazas |
5 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Santiago y Santa Catalina
16 plazas |
5 euros | Sin cocina
Albergue Casa de Peregrinos de Emaús
20 plazas |
5 euros | Cena comunitaria
Otros alojamientos:
Hostal Manjón: C. Gran teatro, 1-7ºC | A 500 m. de la pl. Mayor | 10 hab. | +20 € ind. / +30 € dob. | Reserva: 947-20-86-89 / Booking (link is external)
La Pensión del Camino: C. San Juan, 23-1 | Céntrico | 6 hab. | +30 € dob. / +45 € trip. | Reserva: 947-26-01-02 / Booking (link is external)
Hotel* Jacobeo: C. San Juan, 24 | Céntrico | 13 hab. | +36 € dob. / +45 € trip. | Reserva: 947-26-01-02 / Booking (link is external)
Hotel*** Alda Entrearcos: C. de la Paloma, 4 | En el casco antiguo | 14 hab. | +35 € ind. / +48 € dob. / + 53 € trip. | Reserva: 947-25-29-11 / Booking (link is external)
Hostal** riMboMbin: C. Sombrerería, 6 | En el casco antiguo | 8 hab. | +45 € dob. / + 72 € trip. | Reserva: 947-26-12-00 / Booking (link is external)

Thanks for the info!

I would prefer to stay in a Albergue from the start.

If I arrive so late in the evening, do I have a chance of getting a place to sleep? I think I'll try that, and if it doesn't work out, try to stay in a non-Albergue, which I assume should be easier to get a place in...

Am I thinking right, or do I have the wrong idea?

Thanks,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I second that - definitely get a bus or taxi into town. The distance isn't the problem (about 6km), it's just a case of knowing where you're going as you can't see the cathedral or other significant landmarks. I was following maps on bus stops at 6am (before the buses started running) to find my way and I got there eventually, but I wouldn't recommend it. As Falcon says there are loads of accommodation options and tourist info in the square near the cathedral. It's a reasonably straightforward walk out of town (unlike the walk into town), and you'll soon be out on the beautiful Meseta! Buen Camino!

If I arrive so late in the evening, do I have a chance of getting a place to sleep? I think I'll try that, and if it doesn't work out, try to stay in a non-Albergue, which I assume should be easier to get a place in.
The main Burgos albergue is quite large; 150 beds. Your chances are good, but you are going in the busiest part of the year, and Burgos is a popular starting spot and almost a "must stop" for those starting earlier. If you have a smart phone, get the booking.com app, and it will help you find a bed when you get there if you need one. I have booked hotels standing on their front steps when the booking.com rate is better than the rate quoted by the desk!

The night we stayed in Burgos in May 2014 , all albergues were full. We got a hotel room , but our friends from Italy & Romania backtracked all the way back past the airport to find an albergue with beds available. Not sure why they did not walk forward!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
I'm going to get to Bilbao at about 3pm, and hopefully get a train to Burgos later in the day to start my Camino. I will only arrive in Burgos train station at 19:30 or so. I'm trying to figure out where I should go from the train station?
What is the difference between an albergues and a pension?
Is there generally only one place that pilgrims overnight at in each place? Where is the albergues in Burgos?
Should I try to make a booking to stay there on my first night, because I arrive late?
Sorry if these are silly questions :).
There are NO silly Questions!

There are no silly questions, only silly answers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hotel España is cheap and not far from the cathedral and the river.

The municipal alberguie is big and will likely have space. However last September there were bedbugs on the 3rd floor. I backed out after seeing two.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The municipal alberguie is big and will likely have space. However last September there were bedbugs on the 3rd floor. I backed out after seeing two.

Bedbugs can appear everywhere especially towards end of season : municipales, private albergues or even posher hotels. We must be very careful not to give a specific albergue a bad reputation...

Last edited:
Yes fair enough... And I often wondered if after the realization of the dreaded pests they might just be the safest place to stay once cleared of them.

Yes fair enough... And I often wondered if after the realization of the dreaded pests they might just be the safest place to stay once cleared of them.

I know that most albergues take the cleaning and fumigating very serious...Of course there are some exceptions that just don't give a toss...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
May 12th this year I got the 4th last bed at Burgos Muni - this at 3pm.......an Irishman met the next day at San Anton arrived 30 mins later and missed out, he walked on to Tarjados before finding a bed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back