This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Starting tomorrow from Roncevalles

wanderwoman

Buenos Dias!

I start my camino tomorrow from Roncevalles! Just some last minute questions....leaving madrid early this morning and wondering what I need to take with me to Roncevalles....sounds like there's nothing available there at all? Should I pick up water, snacks etc before arrival? Also, what time do the early bird walkers start walking? Still jet lagged so will get going early tomorrow!

And finally.... Suggestions for accommodation at the end of the day 1?

Gravitas peregrinos,

Amanda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Amanda,

Roncesvalles monastery
has been welcoming pilgrims for centuries. Within their albergue are vending machines which sell snacks and bottled water but there are no shops as such. However several bar/restaurants also provide food.

One of the many traditions associated with Roncesvalles is the evening blessing of the pilgrims offered by the monks within the historic collegiate church. Do plan to attend; it is a most poignant way to begin your camino.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
I'm so excited for you Amanda! I loved leaving the albergues by 6 to see the sunrise (and avoid the heat later in the day). I stayed in Zubiri after Roncesvalles (about 21.5km) but in an albergue that was quite expensive so I wouldn't recommend it. There are other albergues there in Zubiri. Or if you are strong walker you could go past Zubiri to Larrasoaña or if you want to take it easy, you could stop halfway between Roncesvalles and Zubiri at Bikarreta and stay at Corazon Puro. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola

I would recommend you to buy something to eat to bring along in case you feel hungry.
As I recall it, there is a supermarket a few kilometers outside Roncesvalles.
In general, whenever you see a shop or tienda, buy what you need, as you will not know how long there is to the next opportunity.
First night I think staying over in Zubiri makes good sense, so you sleep well and treat your jetlag.
The Albergue in Larrasoaña was very 'basic' in 2012 and unless they have upgraded it, I'd prioritize another place for lodging.
Have a great walk!

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I don't know about now but in 2012 lights came on at 0600 in Roncesvalles with crys of up and away, it still took us till 0730 to leave as we were stiff and sore from the walk the day before. It would be no harm to bring a few snacks and water with you. Take it easy first few days and let your body adjust.
Buen Camino.

Wayfarer said "we were stiff and sore from the walk the day before" never heard of such a thing! On the Camino? Pop into a pharmacy (which, by the way, is where you will find someone who can speak English if that is a problem, not the clerks but the Head Pharmacist is the one to look for!) pop into a pharmacy and ask for Radian B, a cream made in France works like BenGay but no smell!!! warms up on touch and helps to soothe aches and pains without destroying friendships. There is also a homeopathic cream Traumel S (like trauma a name easy to remember) but like so many homeopathics it takes a long long time before it kicks in and becomes effective. Walking is the best way to relieve aches and pains just mind your cadence and your stance, slouching or favoring a leg, ankle, knee, etc is a sure fire shortcut for blisters.

€83,-
Buen Camino Amanda have the adventure of a lifetime take your time and enjoy each moment

Amanda-- agree with Mspath-- DO NOT miss the 6pm Pilgrim Mass with the Pilgrims Blessings in about 12 languages. It was such a moving experience specially given this church has been receiving and blessing pilgrims for hundreds of years. The forrest after Roncesvalles is a Witches Forrest-- ask about it! BUEN CAMINO!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The old adage goes "no pain, no gain" not "no pain, use Radian b" I have to atone for my sins some way scruffy1.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We won't go into the number or nature of my sins, I atone by supporting the vineyards of Spain, Rioja, Navarra, Biezero or Albarino may not be traditional but it works for me!

Last edited:
Hi Wanderwoman,
Try to make a note of the small villages you were able to buy food and drink from and the ones that had great cafes, the info' will come in handy for when you walk your next Camino
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum