• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Via de la Plata from Seville sept 22, 2021

TintinCamino

Iā€™m Peter
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Finisterre, Portugues, Via Plata
Hi, arriving in Seville on Monday night sept 20, 2021, I will start the Via de la Plata on wednesday 22nd. This will be my 3rd Camino, and most likely the hottest and hopefully not the most lonely onešŸ˜€ Made some reservations for the first night. Not sure yet what to do with the next nights. I would like to have some flexibility, and planning doesnā€™t really comply with my Camino feelingā€¦ More peregrinos out there on the Plata? Hope to meet you then.
Greetz Peter

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, arriving in Seville on Monday night sept 20, 2021, I will start the Via de la Plata on wednesday 22nd. This will be my 3rd Camino, and most likely the hottest and hopefully not the most lonely onešŸ˜€ Made some reservations for the first night. Not sure yet what to do with the next nights. I would like to have some flexibility, and planning doesnā€™t really comply with my Camino feelingā€¦ More peregrinos out there on the Plata? Hope to meet you then.
Greetz Peter
I started the VdlP in Seville about August 18th thus year. 48c the first day. I did occasionally wonder what would happen if my water pouch had a leak. Made it as far as Monasterio before realising it was too hot. I was able to ring ahead and book private albergues for these stages. A coach trip to Salamanca where the weather forecast was 7c cooler. But I only made it as far as Montamarta. Couldn't find any sort of accommodation past this village, I was carrying a bivvy bag and sleeping equipment but without a hostal or hotel l, water might have been a problem. So, that's it finished.

I started the VdlP in Seville about August 18th thus year. 48c the first day. I did occasionally wonder what would happen if my water pouch had a leak. Made it as far as Monasterio before realising it was too hot. I was able to ring ahead and book private albergues for these stages. A coach trip to Salamanca where the weather forecast was 7c cooler. But I only made it as far as Montamarta. Couldn't find any sort of accommodation past this village, I was carrying a bivvy bag and sleeping equipment but without a hostal or hotel l, water might have been a problem. So, that's it finished.
Ps did not see any other Peregrinos. I was the only person in the albergues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ps did not see any other Peregrinos. I was the only person in the albergues.
Hi David, thnx for your reply. Wow 48c is indeed too much. Forecasts now are max 32 or so. Iā€™m an early walker (headlights if necessary) so temps should be ok. I think I will take at least an ultralight mattress. Just in case. Just called 3 private Albergues to make reservations. 2 wonā€™t answer(ā€¦)

Hi David, thnx for your reply. Wow 48c is indeed too much. Forecasts now are max 32 or so. Iā€™m an early walker (headlights if necessary) so temps should be ok. I think I will take at least an ultralight mattress. Just in case. Just called 3 private Albergues to make reservations. 2 wonā€™t answer(ā€¦)
The temperature even at 32 more or less is not my cup of tea. That is why I am starting on October 14th. I would start later but my wife wants me home by December 10. Can't walk as far per day as I used to and I would like to make it to Muxia. 48C is absolutely insane. I can tolerate cold much, much better than heat. So late October early November or late January, early February for me now. I used to start in late September but with climate change the temps just keep going up. I hope there are a few pilgrims in the evenings but I like the solitude during the day. Walked the Frances in Nov/Dec 2019 and was surprised how crowded that had gotten.

Wow really envious for a whole number of reasons ive just cancelled my flights for the 2nd year running
i was due to start cycling on the VDP on the 23rd so i would have passed you at some point,
im now planning on 2022 stay safe Buen camino and keep posting

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Hi, Iā€™ll start from Seville on 15 September so I will be ahead of you. I have made a number of reservations but there are a number of places where there is only an albergue and it is closed. I am trying to set up a blog (Iā€™m not a blogger) but if that doesnā€™t work Iā€™ll post some info here. Michael

Great Michael! Iā€™ll appreciate your posts on the albergues! Particularly the difficult spots with one (closed) albergue. And how youā€™ll manage it.
take care!
Peter

Hi Peter,
I am currently on the vdlp north of Zamora. There are very few people out walking but this far north it is much cooler and the walking is easy. Finding somewhere to stay in small villages can be problematic. I have always found somewhere to stay but it was late in the day a few times before I could get somewhere to stay. The via is not like the Frances. Pilgrims are catered for on the Frances, but on the via pilgrims fall in with the ways of rural Spain.

But you gotta experience it for yourself.

Aidan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Peter,
I am currently on the vdlp north of Zamora. There are very few people out walking but this far north it is much cooler and the walking is easy. Finding somewhere to stay in small villages can be problematic. I have always found somewhere to stay but it was late in the day a few times before I could get somewhere to stay. The via is not like the Frances. Pilgrims are catered for on the Frances, but on the via pilgrims fall in with the ways of rural Spain.

But you gotta experience it for yourself.

Aidan
Thanks Aidan! Good to hear that you managed to find places to stay. Yes, I'll prepare for more lonelyness and more uncertainties in where to stay tahan on the Frances. Did you have problems in finding food/menu peregrino's? Or is it wise to take enough food for 24h just in case of emergency? And wha about water taps? regards,
Peter

Peter,
I always take enough food (biscuits I find easy, high calorie value, retain their shape, low volume) and at least 1 litre of water. But remember, it is cooler in the north compared to Seville. Finding places to eat is ok, if you look you can usually find somewhere, but the restaurants don't open until 8 pm. That's rural Spain.....

Peter,
I always take enough food (biscuits I find easy, high calorie value, retain their shape, low volume) and at least 1 litre of water. But remember, it is cooler in the north compared to Seville. Finding places to eat is ok, if you look you can usually find somewhere, but the restaurants don't open until 8 pm. That's rural Spain.....
Peter,
Last night in Alija del Infantado, 2 days south of Astorgia, no food, no bed and I was done walking for that day. Those biscuits were an absolute necessity. Don't leave without something as the Via is not like the Frances.
Aidan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Peter,
Last night in Alija del Infantado, 2 days south of Astorgia, no food, no bed and I was done walking for that day. Those biscuits were an absolute necessity. Don't leave without something as the Via is not like the Frances.
Aidan
Wow. that's heavy. I'll definitely take an emergency rtion with me. How did you manage to sleep? a matress outside? And was the village fully booked or just too small to serve anything?

Peter,
Aidan
Have to admit, I caught a bus from Alija to La Beneza in 2012

Wow. that's heavy. I'll definitely take an emergency rtion with me. How did you manage to sleep? a matress outside? And was the village fully booked or just too small to serve anything?
I spent the night in the porch of the church on the road out of the village. There was a bench there for local parishioners which was very helpful. It was cold and uncomfortable but quite doable for one night. The biscuits tasted very good....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it is worth mentioning that Via de la Plata after Granja de Moreruela where Camino Sanabres branches off is different from the part after Granja where @Aidan21 is writing from. The traditional way to Astorga is less and less used because most of pilgrims go from Granja to Santiago using the Camino Sanabres. That's why, as far as I know most of public albergues after Zamora didn't reopen after since covid. I had no problem planning my stages until Zamora but later on it becomes challenging.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didnā€™t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I donā€™t mind socializing or...
Hace dos dĆ­as falleciĆ³ a los 78 aƱos Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los aƱos en Julio hacĆ­a el camino francĆ©s completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. AƱo tras aƱo durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. Iā€™m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, Iā€™m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo espaƱol I saw...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.