• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strange tradition with bulls in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just like bullfighting, it goes back generations, and just like bullfighting can be a bit shocking to some people.
I figure the bulls, whether in bullfighting or in that fire bull festival, will all eventually end up on the dinner table. For a brief moment, whether in the ring, running on the streets of Pamplona or as a fire bull, the animal is celebrated.

I do not know what to make of this: I respect local traditions, but, it does seem strange...

http://www.vg.no/bildespesial/12361/ (all text in English)

That is horrifying..... just another twist on the barbaric bloodsport of bullfighting.
I think one can support local traditions without excusing outright cruelty.
There are many, many Spaniards who oppose bullfighting (and no doubt would similarly oppose this atrocity). I'm on their side.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As Ivar has pointed out, every time anything bull related gets posted, the same thing happens. Some people come in and say it's barbaric and should be banned. Some people say it's tradition and should be continued. The discussion gets passionate, then it gets acrimonious. After that, the thread gets locked and members get warned. He'll probably be right again.

As Ivar has pointed out, every time anything bull related gets posted, the same thing happens. Some people come in and say it's barbaric and should be banned. Some people say it's tradition and should be continued. The discussion gets passionate, then it gets acrimonious. After that, the thread gets locked and members get warned. He'll probably be right again.
Very true. Brings about passionate responses on both sides. I guess I'll just ride the fence on the subject.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go grill a ribeye steak (medium rare) and wash it down with a nice Cabernet Sauvignon. With some grilled veggies of course. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Might I sit on your fence Mark I'm rather partial to your fare mine's (medium) please, I'll bring the Sauvignon;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No one has ever suggested before that the flaming bull reacts with anything other than fear. I was just curious to know how he could feel celebrated.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flaming-bull.12555/#post-83369
Didn't say that the animal felt celebrated (the revelers are celebrating the animal). Heck, who's to say what an animal feels. It's an animal. They haven't written any articles or books yet discussing their feelings. :D
My point is that everyday millions of animals all over the world are slaughtered as food. Livestock, such as bulls, chickens, goats, ducks, sheep, etc. Even dogs in a lot of Asian countries. We all have consumed them. The slaughter and the almost mechanical process that is involved in the processing plants is something most people don't want to think about or deal with, they just want the end product. The bulls used in festivals like that one aren't even killed. It has some fire on its horns for a little while and goes back to pasture. Not really that big a deal. I doubt if it needs counseling afterwards. Besides, it might even get a chance to stomp a reveler.
Little bit of fun I suppose before eventually being turned into steaks, hamburger, belts, boots, shoes, etc.....

No one has ever suggested before that the flaming bull reacts with anything other than fear. I was just curious to know how he could feel celebrated.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flaming-bull.12555/#post-83369

Commendable try, Falcon. But I hope you are not waiting around for a mature and reasoned discussion on animal cruelty or cultural traditions.

This thread immediately devolved into chest-thumping and taunts.

It is sad that, no matter where one's ultimate opinion on this issue falls, that someone (a peregrino, no less) can't take a moment to reflect on the idea that causing intense suffering (fear and pain) to a living creature for entertainment purposes might not be the best that humans have to offer this world.

I guess I am naive in that I will never understand how another human can look at the pictures in the link posted by the OP and not be moved to tears by the obvious, intentionally inflicted suffering on display. I want to believe humans are better than that, that we are capable of a greater degree of compassion and empathy, and that we have a higher purpose in life than partying by getting drunk and setting an animal on fire.

Instead, we make steak jokes. Even on a board dedicated to the inner and outer journey of walking pilgrimage..... we make steak jokes.

I have a low, low tolerance for unkindness. A couple of days ago, I was distressed to witness an attack here on a fellow peregrina that involved repeated derogatory name-calling and attacking her appearance. I thought then that this forum sometimes reminds me that there is nothing special about being a peregrino. It is just humans walking in the same physical direction. Next year, I hope to meet and walk with some of the kind ones, and keep better company than I have seen on display in the last few days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back