• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF in April with parents - logistics/gear

Nezabudka

Time of past OR future Camino
СF 2018/2024
Hi everyone 👋
Merry Christmas!
Looking for advice on a few things.
Back in October 2018 I did SJP to Burgos, planned to continue in 2020 with my parents and teenage daughter, but we all know the reason why it didnt happen ;)
Now want to restart again.
The plan is to start on 31 March from Burgos to Sarria. Then i will travel back to the beginning to meet my parents (68) and start from SJPP with them. We plan to walk about 6 days and then train to Sarria, so we can finish in SDC together in the last days of April.
The questions.
1. Should I expect any complications starting on Easter Sunday? I plan to pre-book 1-2days in advance where possible. Shops/restaurants might be closed?
2. I will have only 15 days to do Burgos to Sarria, theoretically its possible, but most guides break it down in 16-17 days, so I might need to bus a few sections. Which ones those might be?
3. I know April might be cool and very wet. I used fleece sleeping back liner in October in the past, also have a silk one. I guess it will not be enough and we might need proper sleeping bags? I recall most private albergues provided throws or similar.
4. Is it too cold to walk in Keen sandals? They are the most comfy, i also have Altras, but if its raining then probably doesnt matter, the feet will get wet anyway?
5. Any other advice to consider due to weather/itinerary will be very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3. I know April might be cool and very wet. I used fleece sleeping back liner in October in the past, also have a silk one. I guess it will not be enough and we might need proper sleeping bags? I recall most private albergues provided throws or similar.
4. Is it too cold to walk in Keen sandals? They are the most comfy, i also have Altras, but if its raining then probably doesnt matter, the feet will get wet anyway?
5. Any other advice to consider due to weather/itinerary will be very much appreciated.
Thanks a
I can answer some of it. I started from Pamplona April 6, 2022.

It wasn’t that cold most days. Questions about the weather are so dependent on where people are from. It depends on what you’re used to. I live in the northern United States so I’m comfortable in 5-10C weather, which is what it was. Sometimes in the afternoon, it was much hotter. If you’re most comfortable in the Keens as long as you have some warm socks, I think you’ll be OK. Yes, you’ll get wet and muddy.

I was glad I had a sleeping bag and a lightweight sleep sack. But I only used the sleeping bag for a few nights. If you’re willing to sleep in your clothes some nights, you could probably get away with a flannel sleep sack. But it’s a small risk.

It rained torrentially a few days, but otherwise it was fine. But the weather is different every year.
I think Easter fell on April 17 my year . A lot of albergues and shops were closed until then, but it’s my understanding that Easter is the date when things open. You might research that. I’m planning to leave from SJPP about March 15. Maybe I’ll catch up! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Well, no idea about easter and april besides from what i read on this forum. I had a snow shower in June in 2019, so i guess everything is possible. Might be hot, might be cold. I tend to pack to be comfortable in a range of temperatures and still carry quite the light pack (signature).
As to 15 days... it depends on you. I walked 13 days and spent an extra night in Leon in 2022. It's possible, but i did start in St.Jean and like walking. If you have to skip, Sahagun to Leon and Leon to Astorga would be my choice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone 👋
Merry Christmas!
I've walked with my mother when I was a young pup. It was a magical experience for both of us. Later I walked with my sister. I recently asked my dad and sister and brother in law and they've all said, "No, it's not my thing". You are lucky.

Holy week (easter Sunday especially) is difficult but wonderful. I'd plan a few more days (or weeks) ahead for that one.

There is nothing wrong with taking a bus on occasion, especially if it is to meet loved ones.

I used to think I knew the weather to expect, and planned accordingly. Probably you'll be alright. But, there are micro variations.

Never walked in Sandals. I had a friend once, who did. She wore socks too. We were on the Frances... it was muddy and rainy. She was disappointed. YMMV.

1) easter might be complicated to get beds, especially if you prefer single rooms or want to ship your luggage. I have walked during easter and had no problems at all, but I am not picky when it comes to accommodation and happy to improvise. If you want a bed for certain, booking ahead during the easter holidays is a good choice. Or bring sleeping bag, sleeping mat and adapt to whatever happens. Easter in Spain is magical, enjoy it! Shops will be closed, but restaurants should be open. Plan accordingly.

2) instead of taking a bus you could also walk a few longer days. Last day into Santiago for example (have done that twice). On the meseta it is easy to walk longer days, too. If you need to skip a section, there's good train and bus service between Burgos and Leon. You could for example skip Sahagun-Leon, but I don't think it is necessary. Personally, I'd prefer a few longer days over skipping, especially in the meseta.

3) Sleeping bag, YES. I was cold so many times on my first Camino in april, despite a lightweight sleeping bag and using my coat as a blanket and albergue blankets when they were available. Would not walk without a sleeping bag, certainly not in spring.

4) I've walked thousands of kms by now in Teva sandals (in all seasons) and a few hundred in Keens. If you feel good walking in the Keen sandals, I'd say go for it. But you should be prepared to walk in bad weather, too, so bring good socks (merino wool, and more pairs than usually, so you can change into dry socks whenever you rest and in the evening when you arrived at your destination). In case of snow, adapt and get a pair of boots (I've walked in snow with sandals but do not recommend, especially not if you're not used to it).

5) Enjoy your walk. Merry Christmas and Buen Camino!

You are starting on Easter Sunday, so I would be sure to reserve that night in advance. In fact, I would probably plan to spend half a day IN Burgos to watch Easter Sunday processions, and then walk only a few hours that afternoon. You will likely still be jet-lagged anyway. I would reserve the first 2 nights. Some things will be closed on Mondays anyway, but Burgos is not a small town, so you should be able to find whatever you need.

I hope you don't mind if I give some unsolicited advice... You are traveling from a long distance and both you and your parents might need a day or two to get over jet lag and travel fatigue. I understand that you want to complete the full distance from SJPP to Santiago, if possible. At the same time you want your parents to experience the start from SJPP. But this seems to involve a lot of train/bus to-ing and fro-ing for you, and a possibility that you will need to bus some segments of your Burgos-Sarria walk. This seems like too much hassle and discontinuity to me.

My suggestion is to talk your parents out of starting in SJPP. Instead, plan to meet them in Astorga and walk with them from there. This would give you time to stay an extra day in Burgos to watch Easter Sunday events, an extra day in Leon, and maybe an extra day in Santiago. You might even have time to take a day trip to Muxia and/or Finisterre. (I haven't done the extra counting of the stages and days, but I'm sure you get the idea.)

My first Camino was from Astorga to Santiago and I have never regretted that. I returned a couple of times to walk from SJPP. The famous Pyrennes from SJPP to Roncesvalles are great, on a nice day, but to me they are not worth sacrificing the joys of continuity while walking the Camino. You might feel differently, but I think that a leisurely meet-up in Astorga, with a few days flexibility, would be a better choice than your more fragmented plan.

Something to consider! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hope you don't mind if I give some unsolicited advice...
thank you so much @C clearly, i do not mind and really appreciate it.
My parents are travelling from Latvia, so no jetlag for them, as for me, last time I remember i was surprisingly good the first days (operating on pure excitement ;)) and started to feel the jetlag on Day 3 only 😎
My parents fully rely on me for planning. I do consider the option of them joining me later, but hesitant how they transfer to lets say Astorga themselves with no English/Spanish. At the moment it seems more convenient if they fly direct to Barcelona and i do the same from SDC to meet them there and then we travel together. And obviously from Barcelona - Pamplona/SJPP is closer. I am only hesitant if SJPP is worth it in April, as there is s big chance the Napoleon route is going to be closed. My parents never experienced mountains and I remember I loved the Pyrenees, even have hiked quite a few hills in AU, but they are different here….
Anyway thank you so much, your advice was very welcome ❤️ continuing to Fisterra is one of my options.

Last edited:
Never walked in Sandals. I had a friend once, who did. She wore socks too. We were on the Frances... it was muddy and rainy. She was disappointed. YMMV
I walked my first two Caminos in trail runners and the last five in sandals (with socks). The sandals worked much better in rain and mud that the shoes. Especially when I paired them with waterproof socks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
thank you so much @C clearly, i do not mind and really appreciate it.
My parents are travelling from Latvia, so no jetlag for them, as for me, last time I remember i was surprisingly good the first days (operating on pure excitement ;)) and started to feel the jetlag on Day 3 only 😎
My parents fully rely on me for planning. I do consider the option of them joining me later, but hesitant how they transfer to lets say Astorga themselves with no English/Spanish. At the moment it seems more convenient if they fly direct to Barcelona and i do the same from SDC to meet them there and then we travel together. And obviously from Barcelona - Pamplona/SJPP is closer. I am only hesitant if SJPP is worth it in April, as there is s big chance the Napoleon route is going to be closed. My parents never experienced mountains and I remember I loved the Pyrenees, even have hiked quite a few hills in AU, but they are different here….
Anyway thank you so much, your advice was very welcome ❤️ continuing to Fisterra is one of my options.
Orisson is opening on the 10th April and Borda on the 9th. Both are taking bookings now.
We are leaving SJPdP on the 9th staying at Borda. Had a great 2 days crossing over in 2016 and hoping for the same weather. We were 72 back then now 79 if that helps your parents

I walked my first two Caminos in trail runners and the last five in sandals (with socks). The sandals worked much better in rain and mud that the shoes. Especially when I paired them with waterproof socks.
Thanks @trecile ❤️ do you have a specific brand of socks that you would recommend?

Orisson is opening on the 10th April and Borda on the 9th. Both are taking bookings now.
We are leaving SJPdP on the 9th staying at Borda. Had a great 2 days crossing over in 2016 and hoping for the same weather. We were 72 back then now 79 if that helps your parents
Thanks @Ken & Liz , yes i agree, and was planning a stop in Orisson. Have not heard about Borda before, will check it out ❤️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks @Ken & Liz , yes i agree, and was planning a stop in Orisson. Have not heard about Borda before, will check it out ❤️
We stayed in Orisson in 2016 but trying Borda it's about 2 k more in distance and we have booked there ensuit room as a special night and it is far better than the Orisson one.
Download Camino Ninja you enter where you are starting from and then as you scroll down it shows all the towns and distances so you can stop where you like, enter that in I will stop here tonight the it gives you all the options for where to stay and costs.

We stayed in Orisson in 2016 but trying Borda it's about 2 k more in distance and we have booked there ensuit room as a special night and it is far better than the Orisson one.
Download Camino Ninja you enter where you are starting from and then as you scroll down it shows all the towns and distances so you can stop where you like, enter that in I will stop here tonight the it gives you all the options for where to stay and costs.
Thanks! I use Buen Camino app, i beleive, all of them are very handy and similar in functionalities.
I’ve checked Borda, its already fully booked out for the day I’m looking, so we might be stuck with Orisson, though i read reviews from the recent years, does not sound very favourable, they might have slipped down since i was there in 2018 😕

Thanks @trecile ❤️ do you have a specific brand of socks that you would recommend?
Mine are Sealskinz brand. Here's I post I wrote earlier this year about my waterproof socks.
I agree, socks and sandals are brilliant for wet weather. And waterproof socks and sandals can be even better!

I wore waterproof socks (Sealskinz brand) over my normal socks on a couple of days with torrential rain. At the end of the day my regular socks underneath the waterproofs were barely damp - most likely from sweat. Next came the day of the mud. Mud puddles completely spanning the trail were unavoidable. But at the end of the day my regular socks that I wore under the waterproofs were clean and dry.

In past years, before I had the waterproof socks I simply let my socks get soaked, and never had a problem with blisters.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was 75 when I walked the CF in 2022, my stops from Burgos showing miles were:-

Hontanas
19.6​
Boadilla del Camino
17.8​
Carrión de los Condes
16.3​
Sahagún
24.7​
Reliegos
19.3​
León
15.7​
Hospital de Órbigo
22.6​
Astorga
10.8​
Rabanal del Camino
12.6​
Ponferrada
20.3​
Villafranca del Bierzo
15.3​
Las Herrerias
12.6​
Triacastela
18.5​
Sarria
15.4​

I was 75 when I walked the CF in 2022, my stops from Burgos showing miles were:-

Hontanas
19.6​
Boadilla del Camino
17.8​
Carrión de los Condes
16.3​
Sahagún
24.7​
Reliegos
19.3​
León
15.7​
Hospital de Órbigo
22.6​
Astorga
10.8​
Rabanal del Camino
12.6​
Ponferrada
20.3​
Villafranca del Bierzo
15.3​
Las Herrerias
12.6​
Triacastela
18.5​
Sarria
15.4​
Wow. You obviously are a bad ass.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.