Surfing the Camino

wisepilgrim

Camino App Maker
Aug 27, 2009
Santiago de Compostela
www.wisepilgrim.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Many
Now feels like an opportune time to remind everyone that the crowds on the Caminos travel in great big waves. For every panicked pilgrim riding the crest and worrying about beds, there is another down in the trough wondering what all the huff is about.

They start in certain places, at certain times. Those places are the common starting points, and those times are generally Fridays or Saturdays but can also be long holiday weekends for Spaniards or their neighbors to the West.

To avoid the crest pick a common starting point and start in the middle of the week. Or start on a Friday but 60km away from a common starting point.

The one NEW phenomenon that I found recently is that along the last 100km there is a very large tour company from the South of Spain that brings massive groups to the camino from Sarria. They arrive on a Sunday night in order to arrive in Santiago on a Friday. So keep this in mind when you’re surfing the camino in Galicia, Monday nights in Portomarín will be hit by a big wave.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. -- some famous surfer who would have made a great pilgrim.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Goyo

Jan 14, 2023
México
Fall 2023
Now feels like an opportune time to remind everyone that the crowds on the Caminos travel in great big waves. For every panicked pilgrim riding the crest and worrying about beds, there is another down in the trough wondering what all the huff is about.

They start in certain places, at certain times. Those places are the common starting points, and those times are generally Fridays or Saturdays but can also be long holiday weekends for Spaniards or their neighbors to the West.

To avoid the crest pick a common starting point and start in the middle of the week. Or start on a Friday but 60km away from a common starting point.

The one NEW phenomenon that I found recently is that along the last 100km there is a very large tour company from the South of Spain that brings massive groups to the camino from Sarria. They arrive on a Sunday night in order to arrive in Santiago on a Friday. So keep this in mind when you’re surfing the camino in Galicia, Monday nights in Portomarín will be hit by a big wave.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. -- some famous surfer who would have made a great pilgrim.
I’d love to know who that “some famous surfer” is…🤙🏽

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dec 12, 2022
Ireland
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019

I love the quote at the end. It speaks at a different level for other things in my life.
Thanks, and also for the service you do for pilgrims needing guides and support.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Goyo

Jan 14, 2023
México
Fall 2023
Bodysurfing, boogie boarding, surfing, surf kayaking, windsurfing, kitesurfing…”different strokes for different folks”. They’re all good, and all involve a “special relationship” with the water (for me, preferably the ocean) and wind, albeit using different means, toys, to attain that feeling of “stoke”. Getting wet, taking what you’re given, flowing with, not trying to dominate nature’s power (which often results in a “put you in your place” slapdown 😂) is, in my opinion, what surfing is all about. And yeah, kinda like my approach to my Camino and that feeling of “stoke” (👀 at you, wisepilgrim🤙🏽)

As for the Irishman escaping Libya on his windsurfer, that’s pretty radical 😳. Do u happen to know the title of the book?

Reactions: FriendsoftheNHW
May 4, 2018
None at the moment... but am walking the North Highland Way...
Bodysurfing, boogie boarding, surfing, surf kayaking, windsurfing, kitesurfing…”different strokes for different folks”. They’re all good, and all involve a “special relationship” with the water (for me, preferably the ocean) and wind, albeit using different means, toys, to attain that feeling of “stoke”. Getting wet, taking what you’re given, flowing with, not trying to dominate nature’s power (which often results in a “put you in your place” slapdown 😂) is, in my opinion, what surfing is all about. And yeah, kinda like my approach to my Camino and that feeling of “stoke” (👀 at you, wisepilgrim🤙🏽)

As for the Irishman escaping Libya on his windsurfer, that’s pretty radical 😳. Do u happen to know the title of the book?

the book is Walking on Water by Adrian Keane. You will find it on Amazon. Here is a picture of me on the beach in Benghazi.

Attachments

• atthesea.jpg
    atthesea.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
May 4, 2018
None at the moment... but am walking the North Highland Way...
Thanks for the info on the book🤙🏽.

I guess Libya is a bit more welcoming to foreigners, in bikinis no less, than under certain former leaders? 😎
That was around 1986 I think. Himself was still in power.. easier than Saudi Arabia in that respect though.

Reactions: Goyo

Goyo

Jan 14, 2023
México
Fall 2023
Ummm. The thread's about avoiding peak walking days on the Francés, not actually surfing on a board on walls of water. If you want that, go to Nazaré. Otherwise please read beyond the thread title.
That wisepilgrim was not talking about surfing per se was understood from the get go. He was employing a literary device but, aw hell, what do I know…

I do know my limits, tho’, so I’ll leave Nazaré to the pros.

Since you asked nicely, I’ll try to remember your advice.

Mahalo🤙🏽

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/bulls/documents/20240509_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.