• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suzanne from California, age 56, solo from Pamplona starting June 5 2014

Suzanne Edminster

Time of past OR future Camino
Paloma-Santiago June-July 2014
Hi,
I'm going to be walking for the first time this year from Pamplona. I've given myself six weeks because I might like to dally in towns I like. I'm a fan of art and archictecture. I'm a little apprehensive about walking by myself, though I'm an experienced traveler. I guess I'm less afraid of pain or outer danger than I am of my own possible moods...getting spaced out and missing the way, or angry, or depressed. Any advice? I am married and my husband is supportive of my trip, but I will miss him a lot. I'm an artist and thinking about the art aspect, but don't want to make it some sort of busman's holiday by dwelling too much on art. (My art is on Saltworkstudio if you google that.) It's funny, but I come from Northern California and a lot of the landscape is externally similar... hills, olives, oak trees, vineyards-- it's not so much sightseeing as an internal time-out.
I'm not taking a cell phone but I will be taking an Ipad mini for skype and maybe some posts where there's wireless.
What's the single most important thing you might tell me? How did you orient yourself to the internal or spiritual meaning of the trip? Thanks... Suzanne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Suzanne,

Welcome to the Forum!

As you walk consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure. On the Camino everyone moves as he wishes; only the last 100km MUST be walked in order to receive the treasured Compostela or pilgrim certificate in Santiago. Start walking slowly and go very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day!

Remember
Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much....Ralph Waldo Emerson, Country Life, 1858

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi,
What's the single most important thing you might tell me? Thanks... Suzanne

I have more than one, sorry :p

Walk your OWN Camino.
Don't get caught up in how many kilometers other pilgrims are walking or where they are staying. Listen to your gut and your heart. If it tells you to stop and look at something, stop and look. Try to forget about your schedule.

Walk with an open heart and an open mind.
We are taught in our country to be afraid and not to trust others.
Do it anyway...
Trust others.

Be kind
...to those who are rude or tired or hurting or angry or (insert a negative word)
…to shopkeeps or barkeeps who are weary of the waves of demanding pilgrims
…to yourself
This is one of the things I did not excel at on one of my trips and a regret I have.
If you can't be kind, at least simply walk away.

Ask for help when you need it.
People are blessed when they are allowed to assist you.

Look at the night sky.
If possible, spend one night under the stars.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Suzanne,

Welcome to the Forum!

As you walk consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure. On the Camino everyone moves as he wishes; only the last 100km MUST be walked in order to receive the treasured Compostela or pilgrim certificate in Santiago. Start walking slowly and go very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day!

Remember
Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much....Ralph Waldo Emerson, Country Life, 1858

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thank you, Margaret! Very sweet the Ralph Waldo quote... he's one of my icons. It's a long walk, but still a walk.

I have more than one, sorry :p

Walk your OWN Camino.
Don't get caught up in how many kilometers other pilgrims are walking or where they are staying. Listen to your gut and your heart. If it tells you to stop and look at something, stop and look. Try to forget about your schedule.

Walk with an open heart and an open mind.
We are taught in our country to be afraid and not to trust others.
Do it anyway...
Trust others.

Be kind
...to those who are rude or tired or hurting or angry or (insert a negative word)
…to shopkeeps or barkeeps who are weary of the waves of demanding pilgrims
…to yourself
This is one of the things I did not excel at on one of my trips and a regret I have.
If you can't be kind, at least simply walk away.

Ask for help when you need it.
People are blessed when they are allowed to assist you.

Look at the night sky.
If possible, spend one night under the stars.

Buen Camino!
Annie,
I'm honored you took the time to answer so deeply: I feel the goodwill of you and Margaret like helpful spirits over the quest. Trust others. Be kind... I know I can be so unkind sometimes, sort of a snobbism. Asking for help is a great reminder. Is it worth it to carry a sleeping mat along with a sleeping bag for that potential night under the stars?

Annie,
I'm honored you took the time to answer so deeply: I feel the goodwill of you and Margaret like helpful spirits over the quest. Trust others. Be kind... I know I can be so unkind sometimes, sort of a snobbism. Asking for help is a great reminder. Is it worth it to carry a sleeping mat along with a sleeping bag for that potential night under the stars?

I wouldn't carry a mat.
That is one of the things I see most often in the "free boxes" along the way.
You can just pick one up out of a box when you're ready for it, when you know the weather is going to be nice.
:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've got two more years on you and I walked alone last Fall from SJPDP to Finisterre. It was such a wonderful walk that when my 22 year old daughter called and asked if I would walk with her this Spring I jumped for joy and starting repacking my kit. I'm sure you've read on the forum that even though you may start out alone, you never walk alone (unless that's your choice). You can easily fill your days with laughter, deep conversations or quiet contemplation, whatever you want. It's your Camino. Listen to your heart and your body and remember to rest when you need to. Buen Camino.

Hi,
I'm going to be walking for the first time this year from Pamplona. I've given myself six weeks because I might like to dally in towns I like. I'm a fan of art and archictecture. I'm a little apprehensive about walking by myself, though I'm an experienced traveler. I guess I'm less afraid of pain or outer danger than I am of my own possible moods...getting spaced out and missing the way, or angry, or depressed. Any advice? I am married and my husband is supportive of my trip, but I will miss him a lot. I'm an artist and thinking about the art aspect, but don't want to make it some sort of busman's holiday by dwelling too much on art. (My art is on Saltworkstudio if you google that.) It's funny, but I come from Northern California and a lot of the landscape is externally similar... hills, olives, oak trees, vineyards-- it's not so much sightseeing as an internal time-out.
I'm not taking a cell phone but I will be taking an Ipad mini for skype and maybe some posts where there's wireless.
What's the single most important thing you might tell me? How did you orient yourself to the internal or spiritual meaning of the trip? Thanks... Suzanne

For me, Suzanne, I just allowed the camino to impart its gifts. If we have certain expectations, we might be disappointed, so its best to be open to whatever comes. Don't worry about your moods or anything at all, because the camino will bring out the best and worst in you, and there's not much you'll be able to do about any of it. You just walk, experience and let it all flow. Its not that easy to get lost. The Way is well marked, and there are always a lot of people around. You can have a basic 'schedule' just to orient your mind, but be flexible because things take their own course. Its really as if the camino steers you in some way. So go, enjoy, be yourself, and accept it all. I wish you Buen Camino!

I wouldn't carry a mat.
That is one of the things I see most often in the "free boxes" along the way.
You can just pick one up out of a box when you're ready for it, when you know the weather is going to be nice.
:)
Perfect answer. I am a camper and would love to stretch out under the stars a few times.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've got two more years on you and I walked alone last Fall from SJPDP to Finisterre. It was such a wonderful walk that when my 22 year old daughter called and asked if I would walk with her this Spring I jumped for joy and starting repacking my kit. I'm sure you've read on the forum that even though you may start out alone, you never walk alone (unless that's your choice). You can easily fill your days with laughter, deep conversations or quiet contemplation, whatever you want. It's your Camino. Listen to your heart and your body and remember to rest when you need to. Buen Camino.

Lovely answer. I am feeling a bit more reassured. Part of me wonders, where's that adventurous gal (me) who backpacked across Europe alone in the 1980s? I remember that I always found company and reassurance when I needed it... plus, it seemed, some pretty on-the-ball guardian angels, hovering over a young-ish woman. I suppose one of the more interesting questions on the Camino is "how do I want this?" It's also a question for life. Camino is the Big Metaphor. Thanks for replying!

For me, Suzanne, I just allowed the camino to impart its gifts. If we have certain expectations, we might be disappointed, so its best to be open to whatever comes. Don't worry about your moods or anything at all, because the camino will bring out the best and worst in you, and there's not much you'll be able to do about any of it. You just walk, experience and let it all flow. Its not that easy to get lost. The Way is well marked, and there are always a lot of people around. You can have a basic 'schedule' just to orient your mind, but be flexible because things take their own course. Its really as if the camino steers you in some way. So go, enjoy, be yourself, and accept it all. I wish you Buen Camino!

Yes, Cheynee... good to be reminded not to over-control the experience (not that I could if I tried!) I sort of think I should take some kind of spiritual inventory... questions, etc... but feel better now. Let it flow. This forum is a great resource. Thanks you so much!

Suzanne,

Welcome to the Forum!

Remember

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you so much for the grounded advice! I already figured out that the guidebook is not sacred; I think I'll need a bit of 'wandering' in my pilgrimmage. I think I may attempt about 6 blocks on my first day!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie,

Thanks for the great advice, Annie.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back