• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Camino from Pamplona to Santiago in May-June 2024

VELO

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2024
Hi I really like to cycle (VELO) but not a serious fanatic. I'm Irish native living in France.
I'm planning to cycle Camino from Pamplona to Santiago next May - June 2024. Any "bicigrinos contemplating cycling same route so maybe we join up?
I plan bike rental in Pamplona and collection in Santiago. Planning to stay in affordable accommodation and complete the Camino in around 2 weeks having free days to enjoy some downtime & sightseeing.
Anyone Interested in joining up?

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola, @VELO I cycled this route in 2015 so may I offer a little advice:
1. ask the rental company to provide a bike with wide tyres, rather than standard road tyres;
2. bring a very sturdy bycical lock, so you can lock the bike if you leave it unattended;
3. Overnight off street storage, most of the better albergues will allow you to store your bike off street;
4. do not expect to exactly follow the "walking pilgrims" trail. There are places where it safer for you and those pilgrims if you stick to the road. Where you are following the pilgrims please be considerate, use the bell and/or call out that you are passing and also advise which side you are passing;
There will be more bike pilgrims offering advice but these will get you started. Beun Camino.

I cycled the CF in 2016 and just back from walking SJpdP to SdC last month. Best advice I can offer is make sure your bike has a bell and use it. Most peregrinos would agree that a bell is the most effective and friendliest way to negotiate passing on the trail. Hope you find some travelling companions. It makes the ride much more enjoyable!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I really like to cycle (VELO) but not a serious fanatic. I'm Irish native living in France.
I'm planning to cycle Camino from Pamplona to Santiago next May - June 2024. Any "bicigrinos contemplating cycling same route so maybe we join up?
I plan bike rental in Pamplona and collection in Santiago. Planning to stay in affordable accommodation and complete the Camino in around 2 weeks having free days to enjoy some downtime & sightseeing.
Anyone Interested in joining up?
Hi Velo,
What part of Ireland are you from ?
Do you have an idea of dates yet ?
I’ll be travelling/starting in early June from Pamplona, I’ve cycled the Camino previously in 2018. Happy to share any info as well
Hope to hear from you soon
Best regards

Darragh

Hi Velo,
What part of Ireland are you from ?
Do you have an idea of dates yet ?
I’ll be travelling/starting in early June from Pamplona, I’ve cycled the Camino previously in 2018. Happy to share any info as well
Hope to hear from you soon
Best regards

Darragh
Salut Darragh. Nice to hear from you. Planning dates not fully confirmed yet as lmwaiting to have 2024 work programme early Jan. Im from Donegal close to Inishowen. Happy to keep in contact & maybe meet up if we’re thinking around same dates. Cordialement. Camino Velo.

Thanks to all you experienced cycled Caminos for your replies & advice. All noted.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Best advice I can offer is make sure your bike has a bell and use it.

With the hearing loss that I have, I have encountered mostly aggression from cyclists who took the view I was deliberately ignoring them.
From my perspective, the best advice to from @Saint Mike II, copied below

do not expect to exactly follow the "walking pilgrims" trail. There are places where it safer for you and those pilgrims if you stick to the road

@VELO, can I first say how much I envy your intention. I too would like to cycle through France, Spain, Switzerland and Italy but my bike skills are so rusty that putting one foot in front of another for days on end can now sometimes be a big challenge.

And having encountered cyclists on several trails that are like sheep tracks on the side of a hill I can only endorse the advice above.

Having said the above I have two very positive experiences with cyclists.

The first was at Uhart-Mixte. For me that was at the end of my second to last day walking in France. And there was just me and a German pilgrim in the small gite d'etape. In the chat I learnt he had cycled from his home and his intention for the next day was Pamplona. I noted later that was 90 km with a bit of a hill to surmount.

The second was at San Juan de Ortega. While getting ready for the off I noticed three guys preparing their bikes. Two were "normal" and one was a low slung reclining version with pedals operated by hand. In the chat I learnt that they were on roads, the day before had used the N120 and, as they passed me with a cheer and a wave about 30 minutes after my restart, were heading back to the N120 towards Burgos.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Salut Darragh. Nice to hear from you. Planning dates not fully confirmed yet as lmwaiting to have 2024 work programme early Jan. Im from Donegal close to Inishowen. Happy to keep in contact & maybe meet up if we’re thinking around same dates. Cordialement. Camino Velo.
@VELO,
Myself and my fiancé are planning to leave Pamplona on the morning of the 3rd June (if all our planning falls into place and we get the time and dates we want) we plan to be in Léon by the 11th/12th of June for her birthday and finishing in Santiago sometime around the 18th.
We have a ball park figure of +/- 50 km per day.

If I have to give you some advice (not sure if you’re experienced in bike touring so please take this in the in the good faith of which it’s given, as the saying goes, never tell yer granny how to suck eggs) Please do get a bell for the bike, but you mentioned already you’re hiring one so I’m sure it will all ready have one attached, so use it.
Helemet, also a good idea, I’m not going to lie, I’ve come off the bike a few times and gotten a few scuffed knees and bruises too, trust me on the helmet, I’d rather have and not need it .. if you catch my drift.
Pack light you do not need half the stuff you think you’ll need, you don’t need that laptop or that expensive camera, or the tripod, I know, slight exaggeration, but you’d be surprised what people think that they came just strap to the bike and go.
Just use your phone camera, less to pack and no faffing with cables and charging
My main packing list the last time I cycled was 4 sets of clothing including the clothes I was wearing on that particular day, a pair of flip flops to wear at the end of the day, toiletries a sleeping bag and a few extra bits to cover the change in the weather, a light jumper for the evenings or for a cooler day, and a rain jacket just in case.
Again keep it light, extra weight is extra energy spent getting you from point a to point b.
Don’t forget there will be days where you will feel like all you’ve done is just push a bike up hill, so don’t over load it.
Pack plenty of water at least 1.5 to 2 litres of water with you strapped to your bike at all times. You never know. Have food with you, keep snacks, chocolate, nuts, fruit. Cycling every day you’re going to need the calories, the first time I cycled the Camino, I got so excited, on the first day I for got to fill my water bottles and didn’t pack any food, so about 45lm in the tank ran dry … to use the professional cycling term, I bonked!
So even if it’s just a banana.. or some trail mix .. or a couple of snickers bars .. just remember to have something on the bike with you at all times.
Lastly, eat, eat all the food, particularly breakfast, get a decent meal in to you in the morning. You’ll need the energy,
That’s all for now, if you need anything else just ask.
All the best

Darragh

VELO Bicigrino. Cycling from Pamplona to Santiago Compostella. / Camino Francés
Start 27 May from Pamplona arrive Santiago 09 june
I have finally confirmed my dates for my Camino experience. Reserved hostel accommodation in Pamplona for 3 nights before departure (collect rental MTB) and reserved the following 2 nights in hostels along the route. I'm not sure if I reserved for all my dates as I plan 2 rest days en route. I have a combination of short & long cycle days 40-50km and 90-100km before or after my rest days. Also reserved my last 3 nights in Santiago as I want to do a day trip to Cabo Finisterre.

I'm following "Ride with GPS" navigation and worried about battery life duration on my mobile. Any advice for this problem? Are charging sockets readily available en route?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting up with fellow BICIGRINOS.

Velo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back