• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Switching to central - Mindelo or Vila do Conde?

aheadfullofsongs

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi! I am walking my first day from Porto now on the coastal route. Had initially planned to stay in Vila do Conde tonight then switch over to central tomorrow through the route mapped out in the guidebook. One of the tourist offices recommended to move inland earlier around Mindelo to Vairão, saying that it’s not as bad as the other route with road crossings.

Has anyone done either of these routes? I guess I’m wondering if the route from Vila do Conde is bad enough to switch it - I was looking forward to an evening staying by the beach but don’t particularly want to be crossing traffic all day tomorrow!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I crossed at Vila do Conde 7 years ago, So keeping in mind that it's been a minute, I don't remember bad road crossings at that point. Having said that, I found I enjoyed the Central route more. So if there's the way to get there earlier, I would say follow the tourist office's advice.

You’re probably already past the point, but we went via Mindelo, and it was quiet and lovely. A few spots on busy roads with traffic zooming by, but overall nice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I went inland via Vila do Conde about 5 years ago. I didn't find the road walking bad.

Hi! I am walking my first day from Porto now on the coastal route. Had initially planned to stay in Vila do Conde tonight then switch over to central tomorrow through the route mapped out in the guidebook. One of the tourist offices recommended to move inland earlier around Mindelo to Vairão, saying that it’s not as bad as the other route with road crossings.

Has anyone done either of these routes? I guess I’m wondering if the route from Vila do Conde is bad enough to switch it - I was looking forward to an evening staying by the beach but don’t particularly want to be crossing traffic all day tomorrow!

Thanks in advance for your help.
We started on the Senda Litoral. Ubered from Esposende to Barcelos 3 days ago. We had sufficient sand and water and wanted something different. We're heading over Alto da Portelo tomorrow - definitely different from the flat coast.

I went via Villa do Conde last May. It was a hair-raising experience. Lots of traffic whizzing by, no shoulder on the road, and zig-zagging across the road to avoid oncoming traffic around blind corners. There are also several places where there are walls on the side of the road and no shoulder; this means you must flatten yourself against the wall when cars race by inches from you. Take another route if possible. I spoke with other pilgrims who were similarly concerned for safety walking this route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You’re probably already past the point, but we went via Mindelo, and it was quiet and lovely. A few spots on busy roads with traffic zooming by, but overall nice.
Good day. Can you give more specifics on how you got from Mindelo to Vairao?
How did you map the route? Directions taken? From Vairao you followed the central route into Rates? Thank you

We crossed over at Vila do Conde in June this year. Walked up to the convent where we followed the aquaduct for about 4k. One section had to walk around a small corn field by the road - pretty sure we were on a footpath - and rejoined the aquaduct where we started to see camino signs. Nice walk, came across a couple of cafes, don't remember feeling unsafe at all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, i have a similar plan: Crossing over from the costal/Litoral via Mindelo to just south of Vilarinho and hope to stay at Mosteiro de Vairao. From above notes, this walk along the M530? seems to be noted as quiet. This is an option noted in John Brierly's most recently released Camino Portuguese guide. Via John's roughish map it looks like a shorter road walk and might offer a nice hostel option at the end. Would be interested to hear any experiences. This thread looks a bit old so not sure if this will be picked up.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back