• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Swollen Foot

Cath Webber

Time of past OR future Camino
My plan is to walk the Camino de Santiago from the start to the finish in April 2016. I will be walking with a friend who is French and myself I am from Brisbane in Australia!
Hello there,
I am currently in Leon after walking from St Jean Pied de Port and am having a wonderful Camino experience so far..... No foot problems bar one blister so all is good however today my left foot has swollen a lot for no apparent reason, is this normal after lots of walking for one foot to swell up?
I am worried, thanks for all helpful responses
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It doesn't sound normal to me. Is there pain? You should probably have it looked at in Leon, where good services are available.

There is no pain just some pain from the swelling
It doesn't sound normal to me. Is there pain? You should probably have it looked at in Leon, where good services are available.[/QU

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seek out the Centro de Salud and get a proper opinion. This site lists and locates all facilities in the Province of Leon: http://www.jcyl.es/web/jcyl/Portada...1248366924958/0/1142233519050/DirectorioPadre though the hospitalero of your Albergue will help. Few of us here are medically qualified and those that are aren't going to make a diagnosis on an open forum. Elevation and icing are the usual recommendations, but please get them from a qualified practitioner not this wrinkly ex-boy-scout.

Not enough water and most likely lack of minerals too

Zzotte

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
possible insect or spider bite with advanced swelling due to all the walking. maybe something was in your shoe when it was put on??

PS: god forbid it is not a blood clot in the lower leg area ... have it checked out!

Last edited:
If you are worried - and you are - get it checked out NOW. I see that you've flown from Australia, @Cayou is right that you need to rule out a blood clot. Hopefully it is just an insect bite or mineral deficiency etc but as @Tincatinker says, Leon has many qualified practitioners who will see and diagnose you and your hospitalero can help you find the services you require.

Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cath: 20 years ago I had a blood clot in my clavicle from too much swimming and the bone pintching the main vein. Veins remove the blood, and mine was only going super slow due to tiny viens trying their best.
The only symptom was because my right hand was swollen!
Doctors did not think it was, and diagnosed tendenitis, but my wife INSISTED on a sonogram and sure enough there was a clot.
Please get it checked out. Use my story!

Yep Please go have it checked.

Maybe the person with the best guess will get your kind response. My wife just broke her foot, she refused to accept going to get it looked at, it was slightly swollen as well. Now she has to wear a boot for 3 months. She was walking my grandson on a road & simply rolled it on the edge of the pavement.
We will pray yours is from a thorn or a bug bite.
Keith

Yep Please go have it checked.

Maybe the person with the best guess will get your kind response. My wife just broke her foot, she refused to accept going to get it looked at, it was slightly swollen as well. Now she has to wear a boot for 3 months. She was walking my grandson on a road & simply rolled it on the edge of the pavement.
We will pray yours is from a thorn or a bug bite.
Keith

Aaahhh!! So sorry to hear of your wife's broken foot. Having spent some months in a boot and 2 of those non-weight bearing, I can commiserate. It's a Camino in itself.

I wish her well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello there,
I am currently in Leon after walking from St Jean Pied de Port and am having a wonderful Camino experience so far..... No foot problems bar one blister so all is good however today my left foot has swollen a lot for no apparent reason, is this normal after lots of walking for one foot to swell up?
I am worried, thanks for all helpful responses
Buen Camino

Hopefully you've had your foot seen to by a professional Cath. If you haven't, please do. If you have, would please consider letting us know what the outcome was. Thanks.

Buen(two-footed walking)Camino

Cath, I have just returned home two days ago. I hurt my foot just before O'Cebriero and continued to walk to Santiago and then half way to Finisterre before I gave in to the pain (and swelling). I went to the hospital in Cee after many people telling me that pilgrim's would be treated for no cost - this was not the case and they wanted 360 Euros just for a consultation and then more for any treatment. I decided that as I was only a week from going home and had stopped walking I would wait until I got home. My foot was painful to weight bear and swelling at night and not improving. I contacted my travel insurance company and they told me that if it was broken there was an increased risk of DVT. So, I went to the hospital in Santiago and they kept asking for my European Health Card (same in Cee) - after explaining that I was Australian and didn't have my Medicare card with me but did have the number they finally agreed to see me. They took my personal details, copy of my passport and my Medicare details. I was seen by a doctor, had two x-rays which revealed that my foot was broken and I was then taken from emergency to the hospital to have my foot and leg put in a plaster splint. They also gave me medication to inject daily until I arrived home to prevent blood clots while flying. I was not charged anything. As I understand there is no reciprocal agreement between Spain and Aust so I guess I was just very lucky.

My travel insurance upgraded my flights to Business Class for my return to Aust so I was able to keep my foot elevated.

I hope you have had your foot looked at, I see my own GP in two days and hope I have not done any extra damage by continuing to walk on it. :)

Cath seems to have vanished. Hope she returns healthy. CathyJ, you are forturnate to have done the right thing. Glad that your Camino had a happy ending, albeit not your first choice. From this, I predict you will return!
My wife & I were in Botswana 2 years ago and she got DVT (4 flights from L.A.) and with travel insurance ended up a week in Johannesburg hospital and biz class home. All is well now.
This is funny, we're off to Kruger NP (S.Africa) on Monday.
The Camino of Life continues ....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.