• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Temperature ranges

LaurenE

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from SJPdP 2007, TBD 2017
Hola!
I'm in the initial stages of planning a pilgrimage on the Camino Frances, leaving mid-May from St Jean or Roncevalles. I've dreamt of doing this for a long time and something just told me, THIS is the year!
One question I'd appreciate some help with. I'm a smallish female and I tend to get cold easily, any tips on what kind of temperatures to be prepared for around then?
Lauren

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm wondering the same exact thing! end of april-end of may is it possible to get by with a light fleece sweater and long underwear or is a jacket needed?

Temperatures

Peter's website has the most useful resource for checking temperatures across the camino. However, weather patterns change and the one year is never the same as the last.

http://peterrobins.co.uk/camino/weather.html

Remember that you will cross three fairly high ranges starting from St Jean Pied-de-Port at a mere 160m, to 1200m before descending to Roncesvalles. The first 50kms are a roller coaster of ups and downs mostly through woodland until you reach Pamplona.
The next 200 + kms are varied - across Navarra and La Rioja vineyards with several hill ranges to cross.
The 230 kms between Burgos and Astorga are on the meseta (about 800m) and can be hot and dusty in summer and bleak and freezing in winter.
Through the mountains of LeĂłn - approx. 145kms from Astorga to Sarria - there are two ranges to cross taking you to the highest point at 1500m. Then you have the O'Cebreiro range at 1400m. The last 115 kms from Sarria are surprisingly arduous with sharp up hills and steep descents.
There is always a danger of snows in April in any of the high places on the camino (we missed snow by one day in the middle of May in 2002) so perhaps a lightweight, fleece jacket would be a good idea. I bought a 165g fleece pullover and had an open-ended zip put into it so it could double as extra long sleeve shirt and jacket.
Dress in layers - preferably with wool close to your skin as it doesn't sweat and will insulate you against the cold. During the day you can moult as it warms up!
The spring wildflowers should be blooming by May. Once the snows stop and the sun is shining everything will be lush and green. The large black and white European stork will return to their enormous nests on top of church towers and steeples.
Have a marvelous time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the info sillydoll. I think I will bring some warm layers.
Another (unrealted question) I live in Colorado and I'm thinking od flying into London and tranferring to Ryanair to Biaritz so that I can fly from S de C straight back to London for my return flight without backtracking (sortof) Anyway, what I'm trying to find out is, can I get easily from Heathrow or Gatwick airport to the Stansted Airport easily by train or better by taxi? What will be cheapest?

Sorry, I wrote that quickly and I see it makes very little sense. Is there a cheap/easy way to get from Stansted airport to the others? On their website they just say the express train from Stansted goes to Liverpool St. (wherever that is!)
Thanks again
Lauren

From Stanstead you take the train to Liverpool Street station which is in central London. From there you can take the underground train (tube) to Heathrow airport. Or from Liverpool street you can take the underground to Victoria station, also in central London, and from there get the Gatwick express train which quickly gets you to Gatwick airport.

Andrew, England.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree that a fleece is fine - with a lightweight cagoule for when it rains. I walked in May and didn't take gloves - which I regretted as the mornings were a bit cold. Wearing layers is a good idea - it can get pretty hot as the day progresses,
Enjoy the camino - it's a great expereince.

Ann.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...