• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Temporary closure after Pola de Lena - Aug. 2023

peregrina2000

Staff member
From Ender — When you get to the gasoline station in Villallana after leaving Pola de Lena, do not follow the yellow arrows under the highway. That route is “intransitable“ (impassable). According to peregrinos who have been there recently, the “maleza” (weeds and other growht) are totally overgrown on the camino. Instead, go left and continue towards town. Arrows will reappear (because this is the old official route). When you get to Los Tableros, you will get on the path to Ujo.

But be careful because those kms alongside the highway are very dangerous, especially if you walk on a week day. LOTS of truck traffic, virtually no shoulder.

****A good volunteer opportunity for someone with tools to cut back the growth!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From Ender — When you get to the gasoline station in Villallana after leaving Pola de Lena, do not follow the yellow arrows under the highway. That route is “intransitable“ (impassable). According to peregrinos who have been there recently, the “maleza” (weeds and other growht) are totally overgrown on the camino. Instead, go left and continue towards town. Arrows will reappear (because this is the old official route). When you get to Los Tableros, you will get on the path to Ujo.

But be careful because those kms alongside the highway are very dangerous, especially if you walk on a week day. LOTS of truck traffic, virtually no shoulder.

What stage is this blockage located in?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will invoke my Blue Blaze rule. I get the sense this is not on the Camino Frances route. So I will stay on the White Blaze (Frances) and hope I get to Santiago successfully.

Clearly, this makes me wonder if the "new route" is a sustainable one, if there is no well-established path, or municipality that keeps it maintained. I agree that the stretch along the AS-375 is not nice, but it is less than two kilometers, at least. Not all pilgrims will get this forum message, unfortunately.

Clearly, this makes me wonder if the "new route" is a sustainable one,
Totally agree. I bet it’s the second half of the path where there is a sharp turn at the start of the descent. I had bushwhacked that out a couple of years ago, but it must be that the Salvador traffic is not enough to keep the growth back. But I did come within a hairsbreadth of being squashed by a truck on that road into Ujo so I really don’t think that’s a good alternative. At least for those who have to walk it on a weekday. Absolutely no shoulder and a very narrow road with lots of trucks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will invoke my Blue Blaze rule. I get the sense this is not on the Camino Frances route. So I will stay on the White Blaze (Frances) and hope I get to Santiago successfully.
Hi, @whiteblaze, You can tell which camino we are talking about in any post by looking at the sub-forum in which it was posted. That information runs along the top of the thread when you open it. Right above the thread title. This one says: Forums>Camino Routes > Routes in Spain> Camino del Salvador.

Once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to follow.

The Salvador, just fyi, goes from León to Oviedo and is a marvelous route. 120 km. Very well marked in general, so this is an outlier issue.

BTW, I know several forum members walked the Salvador earlier in the summer. Did you go under the tunnel at the gas station, and if so, what was the trail condition?

I remember that part. There was one part where I almost got lost and had to backtrack when what I thought was the path dead ended in the bush but I found a couple of familiar pilgrims and eventually we found our way through it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Seeing this post brought back a few memories, or should I say nightmares!
We thought afterwards that we must have taken the wrong way which was not unusual for us.
I had to look up the diary and wrote how dreadful it was, with traffic flying by.
Not only that but the foliage from the bushes and trees jutted halfway out on the road making things worse
we were so glad to get to the end of it
Now, just thinking of that song “Keep right on to the end of the road”1926, a bit before our time!

Attachments

• IMG_5996.png
    IMG_5996.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Seeing this post brought back a few memories, or should I say nightmares!
We thought afterwards that we must have taken the wrong way which was not unusual for us.
I had to look up the diary and wrote how dreadful it was, with traffic flying by.
Not only that but the foliage from the bushes and trees jutted halfway out on the road making things worse
This is exactly why Ender and Co. have worked so hard to find another alternative. But it wasn’t easy, and it looks like it is not a path that gets enough traffic for the pilgrims to keep the growth at bay themselves just by walking through.

This is exactly why Ender and Co. have worked so hard to find another alternative. But it wasn’t easy, and it looks like it is not a path that gets enough traffic for the pilgrims to keep the growth at bay themselves just by walking through.
Which is A shame as Ender has put so much work into this Camino
An amazing man really
We could not have walked this route without his guide( which can be downloaded from the forum) and the San Salvador has surely got to be one of the most beautiful Caminos of all

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Needs spraying with roundup. Unfortunately being that i live in the UK, I can't rock up with my arb gear and cut a swathe through it. If I lived closer I would glady invoke Mr Stihl and make a path. :p

Maybe the armory in Santander will sell me a machete for when I get on the Salvador. ;) The video Nadine did the other year suggested great parts of it were very over grown.

Firstly, thanks peregrina2000 to both you and Ender for all the work on the guide it made my walk so much easier than it might have been.
Second, I walked in early May and took this alternative path, it was pretty overgrown at the time but not impassable and as the slow Pilgrim I was able to follow the squished down grass from those ahead. I truly appreciate attempts to keep us off that main road - it’s a horror. The Wikiloc trails were invaluable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Coincidentally, a fellow pilgrim has just asked me if I knew of any volunteer organisations that worked to maintain the camino. He was concerned about the path down from Foncebadon which gets a lot more traffic than the Salvador. The only one I know of is Ditch Pigs, and I think they only work in certain areas. Local associations also do a lot of work but that depends on having an active local group. I might put up a thread about this. The Amigos might also be able to help. In the meantime, can anyone who has any ideas either post on this thread or PM me?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Which is A shame as Ender has put so much work into this Camino
An amazing man really
We could not have walked this route without his guide( which can be downloaded from the forum) and the San Salvador has surely got to be one of the most beautiful Caminos of all
And to quote myself, how could I forget all the work that Peragrina2000 put in to the translation of Enders guide
It wouldn’t have been much use to us without the translation I’m afraid

I can almost feel another download coming on!
Many thanks to all involved

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.