• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

TGV Ticket never arrived

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
An interesting problem. Maybe someone else has experienced this.

I was just checking our Paris - Bayonne TGV details, and noticed we don't yet have our tickets that were purchased in January.

They were to be mailed to us.

I sent a message to SNCF, but no reply as yet.

I see on the 'help' section that they advise..........

Buy a new ticket, and fill out a claim form for the original to be refunded.
Easier said than done. The trains are now Full.......

Has anyone else experienced this?
Tickets not arriving?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I was just checking our Paris - Bayonne TGV details, and noticed we don't yet have our tickets that were purchased in January.

Tickets not arriving?

I have, just yesterday, booked two tickets from Paris - St Jean and I booked them through Rome2Rio and they were E Tickets, are you certain there is not an email with your tickets on your computer?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes quite certain ;)

I booked direct with SNCF.

For some reason I selected the 'mail my tickets' option rather than the eticket option......
The confirmation email states 'delivery free by post'

That option cannot be changed once the tickets are booked.

Hi Robo, I have the exact same problem . I purchased tickets in January on sale and chose the post option (E ticket was not an available option and i figured i had plenty of time), however tickets have never arrived. It took a lot of persistance to get a response from OUI SNCF (FB messenger in the end worked) and they have suggested that i did not specify Australia (im sure i did). Their solution is for me to purchase a new ticket and post it to them via registered post to Barcelona once i complete my journey. One issue is that the ticket price is now double the original cost. They also will not confirm whether the lower or higher cost will be refunded. Since i specified my seat i do not understand why they cannot reissue the ticket. My latest action has been to dispute the credit card transaction due to non receipt but are awaiting a response from my bank. I am very interested in how you will resolve this - good luck Robo.

Yes quite certain ;)

I booked direct with SNCF.

For some reason I selected the 'mail my tickets' option rather than the eticket option......
The confirmation email states 'delivery free by post'

That option cannot be changed once the tickets are booked.

I had the same problem here in the UK. The first tickets were 'lost in the post', the replacements promised when I telephoned were, I was told later by another member of SNCF staff, never sent but, third time lucky the tickets arrived by special delivery. Good luck. SNCF Voyages used to be so efficient and helpful in securing low cost tickets. They have recently changed their name and operational base so this might explain the current glitches.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Robo, I have the exact same problem . I purchased tickets in January on sale and chose the post option (E ticket was not an available option and i figured i had plenty of time), however tickets have never arrived. It took a lot of persistance to get a response from OUI SNCF (FB messenger in the end worked) and they have suggested that i did not specify Australia (im sure i did). Their solution is for me to purchase a new ticket and post it to them via registered post to Barcelona once i complete my journey. One issue is that the ticket price is now double the original cost. They also will not confirm whether the lower or higher cost will be refunded. Since i specified my seat i do not understand why they cannot reissue the ticket. My latest action has been to dispute the credit card transaction due to non receipt but are awaiting a response from my bank. I am very interested in how you will resolve this - good luck Robo.

I would love to simply buy a new ticket.............but the train is now full :(

Tickets not arriving?

I just noticed the time of this post @Robo. If you are still in my time zone then this must be keeping you awake. I assume if you booked and a ticket was issued, then those seats must still be available. So if there is a way to contact SNCF directly, they must be able to solve it. Can you take a screen shot of the confirmation email, upload it as a picture, and send it to them?

I just noticed the time of this post @Robo. If you are still in my time zone then this must be keeping you awake. I assume if you booked and a ticket was issued, then those seats must still be available. So if there is a way to contact SNCF directly, they must be able to solve it. Can you take a screen shot of the confirmation email, upload it as a picture, and send it to them?

Trying to contact them via Facebook ;)
But it seems their policy is.............
buy a new ticket and ask for a refund :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The SNCF saga continues.............. Ahhhhh. Never again.. :mad::mad:

They cannot 'resend' the ticket. Even though it was never sent in the first place!

I am to rock up at the station and request a duplicate ticket at the counter....
Yea............right!

Only to be told.............."we cannot issue a duplicate ticket" no doubt.

I'm glad we booked flights as our Plan B in case of train strikes.

We'll be using them I think.........

They acknowledge the booking @Kanga. I have the booking reference!

You don't actually need to show the ticket getting on the TGV as I recall.

I wonder what might happen if we board the TGV anyway, armed only with the email confirmation that shows my name, booking reference, seat allocation and fare paid?

Without a valid ticket, would the ticket inspector throw us off ? :eek::eek::eek:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good luck! Could be an interesting experience. Will the Camino provide?

You don't recall le compostage?:cool:

You will not have a valid ticket on board of the train. You are obliged to inform the train manager before or as soon as you have boarded the train of your irregular situation. You will have to pay (again) for the tickets at the price of the day plus a fine, although it's also possible that they will not levy the fine. That's the most likely outcome, in my experience. If the train is really full to the brim, it's possible that there may be no contrôle during the journey. Depending on what you signed up to when you bought the first set of tickets you may be able to ask for full or partial reimbursement at the destination station or online. Bonne chance!

Last edited:
Good luck! Could be an interesting experience. Will the Camino provide?

A very helpful person on Trip Advisor has shown me where to go at Gare Montparnasse to get a duplicate ticket. Fingers crossed! We are staying near the station on arrival in Paris anyway, so I'll drop in when we arrive (the day before our TGV trip).

If it all turns sour, we have Plan B............Easy Jet :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Tickets not arriving?
Rob, sorry that I cant helpyou.....I always have my tickets Emailed to me and I take screen shots of every step in the process when buying them...so much easier than relying on Aust. Post these days. You can get a refund though.

I wonder what might happen if we board the TGV anyway, armed only with the email confirmation that shows my name, booking reference, seat allocation and fare paid?

Without a valid ticket, would the ticket inspector throw us off ? :eek::eek::eek:
I think that you may well find that if you have the relevent imfo on your phone or tablet, they will let you on. Most od the airlines offer this option now and, from my experience in Lyon in France last year, i did exactly this

I think that you may well find that if you have the relevent info on your phone or tablet, they will let you on. Most od the airlines offer this option now and, from my experience in Lyon in France last year, i did exactly this
That's great news. But are you sure that you only had the confirmation for your booking on your device or did you also have an actual electronic ticket? Because as I understand the issue in this thread, it's not possible to obtain an electronic ticket at this moment in time because initially a ticket in paper form had been booked.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think you can a ticket out of a "borne" (ticket machine) at the station by typing in on the screen your ticket number and your surname. I'm sure I've done this even when I've had a print-your-own ticket.

I have boarded the train several times in Bordeaux on my way to Biarritz with an emailed paper copy of my ticket/receipt. I don't remembr if there was a bar code on it or not but I did have a seat assignment and the conductor did not have a problem. Before boarding I tried to use the composture with no luck by the way.

No e
That's great news. But are you sure that you only had the confirmation for your booking on your device or did you also have an actual electronic ticket? Because as I understand the issue in this thread, it's not possible to obtain an electronic ticket at this moment in time because initially a ticket in paper form had been booked.

No e ticket. Just a confirmation email.
If I had one it would be no problem ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yeah, but does the confirmation email have seat assignment, payment information, etc. If so, I don't think you need ot worry. IMHO

Last edited:
Yeah, but does the confirmation email have seat assigments, payment iformation, etc. If so, I don't think you need ot worry. IMHO

Yes it does. But according to SNCF rules, travelling without the actual ticket will incur a fine.

I’ll see if I can get a ticket from customer service at the station.

Yes it does. But according to SNCF rules, travelling without the actual ticket will incur a fine.

I’ll see if I can get a ticket from customer service at the station.

Hi Robo! Fingers crossed, but I think you may be ok if you have that - especially since the confirmation includes your seat numbers. I just had a look at the last booking confirmation I got from SNCF last year, and it's pretty full of details. Does your confirmation by any chance include a "Reference de dossier" followed by a six-letter code, probably about halfway down the "page"? If it does, that's the code you use to print your own tickets from one of the self-service machines at the station (along with the credit card you used for the booking). That may actually work for you even though you didn't select that option, but with that code you should definitely be able to take the confirmation email (printed out) into the ticket office and ask them to print your tickets. You will probably need to show the credit card you used for the booking (not a different one - they stress this when picking up tickets, it's part of their security).

It's great that you're staying overnight nearby, because you'll be able to go in there the previous day, or early on the day of travel - allow lots of time to queue up of course, especially in this time of strikes. You want the "Billeterie Grandes Lignes" for mainline tickets - it's in the main area where the entrances to the mainline platforms are (hope this link works).

Having said all of that - you mentioned earlier that you have flights booked as well. If you're worried and going to the station would rule out being able to get the flight as Plan B - you might want to just go with the flight. I think you'll be able to get your tickets but don't like to think of the anxiety wearing you both out before you get to start walking! Then again, if you would still have time to go for the flight, definitely worth trying for the train ticket first.

Whatever you decide - bonne chance and buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @GettingThere

Yes I have the 6 letter code.

We'll get into Gare Montparnasse my midday on the Monday. The airport bus stops right outside.
So I'll go right in to get our tickets, before we walk down the road to our Hotel. I'll try the ticket and the machines.

Our TGV is the next morning, Tuesday, at 7:52 am.

So if we don't have any luck with the tickets, we'll just head back out to the Airport Tuesday morning rather than Gare Montparnasse for a 10:50 am flight to Biarritz.

No big deal, just very frustrating dealing with SNCF........ no straight answers.

For anyone thinking of buying a TGV ticket online, beware..........

This is turning into a farce worthy of a 'Monty Python' sketch!

I exchange daily FB messages with some nameless person at Oui.SNCF

Which I think should really be called Non.SNCF

We go around in circles on a daily basis. I just keep up the messages for amusement and to see if I can get him/her to admit how crazy the situation is really. I have given up all hope of actually travelling onthre TGV.

The messages have followed this sort of pattern:

Oh, Oui.SNCF they have told me is just a 3rd party ticketing company, so that's half the problem.

R. Where are my tickets?
S. On the way....

R. They haven't arrived yet. I ordered them over 2 months ago.
S. They will.
S. But if they haven't arrived a week before you travel, contact us again. (this is said most days)

After a week or so the tone changed.

R. My tickets are still not here.
S. Ah. You ordered from Australia.
S. You should not have done that.
S. We only send tickets within Europe!

R. So can you send the ticket to me?
S. No.
S. We don't send duplicate tickets.

R. But this is not a duplicate. I don't have a ticket yet.
S. No, we do not send duplicates.

S. If you are outside Europe you should have bought it from another site. (url was given)
R. Ah. So it's my fault for buying the ticker from you in the first place!

R. But I bought it from your site.
R. And you know from my details I am in Australia.
R. And yet you let me buy the ticket.
R. And nowhere on your site does it say I cant' if I live outside Europe.....

S. if they haven't arrived a week before you travel, contact us again. :eek:
S. And we'll send you a claim form ! o_O

R. Oh Thanks....

R. But I have bought the ticket, have seats booked and you won't let me on the train?
S. No..... Because you don't have a ticket!

Should I laugh or cry ? :D

Hmmm.
I'm just glad I bought an Easy Jet ticket as a Plan B :cool:

I'm not sure we'll even bother to turn up at the station, but it might be fun to drop in the night before to see if:

A. The train is running (strikes), and
B. If the ticket office will give me a ticket. But I expect not.

Today's online chat was a classic.

S. Ah, there is a new feature. You can repurchase your tickets and print them at home. But you must book the two tickets on separate trains!
S. And of course, you can't book the day you want, because bookings are closed due to the strike.

R. But this is useful information for the future Monsieur! Should my wife and I wish to travel on separate trains......and there is no strike.

Definitely a comedy sketch in this! :rolleyes:

I'm reminded of this Classic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ahh Robo, thanks for making me laugh! I haven't had any luck yet in getting them to re-issue my paper ticket that didn't arrive in the post to Australia. Your persistence has encouraged me to do the same and get back on facebook - nothing to loose! I will pass on any amusing responses.

I used the website: trainline.eu. It was recommended by several forum members, reasons being that you can easily pay with your US credit card and also print your tickets at home, saving time and hassle after arriving at the airport. We are headed to Le Puy from CDG on a non-strike day end of May and hope all goes smoothly.

I can sympathize with your frustration and helpless feeling in your predicament...not fun at all to deal with. :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ahh Robo, thanks for making me laugh! I haven't had any luck yet in getting them to re-issue my paper ticket that didn't arrive in the post to Australia. Your persistence has encouraged me to do the same and get back on facebook - nothing to loose! I will pass on any amusing responses.

The bottom line, is that they will not post the ticket.......
It would seem; that the only option is as follows:

Go to the ticket office at the station.
Present confirmation number, passport, credit card used to make booking etc etc.
Buy a new ticket, for the seats you have already booked and paid for :eek:
SNCF then send you a claim form, which you must lodge within 60 days, by registered post.

I'll go along to the ticket office when we get to Gare Montparnasse, as we are staying at a Hotel nearby.
Let's see what happens! :rolleyes:
But my gut tells me to avoid the train altogether and go with EasyJet :p

The train might not even be running due the strikes anyway.......

So the morale of the story? Don't buy your tickets from Oui.SNCF if you live outside Europe.

Good Luck.

Tickets not arriving?

I booked June 2017 for September Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPP through the Australian mirror of RailEurope - couldn't be happier with the service.

TGV tackets arrived by email (print at home) within the hour

Bayonne to SJPP tickets were printed in Melbourne and arrived by Certified Mail within a week.

Easy peasey!!!

I booked June 2017 for September Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPP through the Australian mirror of RailEurope - couldn't be happier with the service.

TGV tackets arrived by email (print at home) within the hour

Bayonne to SJPP tickets were printed in Melbourne and arrived by Certified Mail within a week.

Easy peasey!!!

Yep. SNCF basically told me not to buy from them, but Rail Europe! Go figure.... :rolleyes:

Hi Robo, as you may remember i had a similar issue to you with my tickets not arriving by post to Australia. I ordered them on 28th January for travel on 9 May I had tried to get them reissued by sncf but they were not very helpful. I had resorted to cancelling the credit card transaction but this was a lengthy process. Well the good news is that today, 78 days after i ordered them, my tickets arrived in the mail. It looks like they have travelled around a bit, but at least i now have them. Now for my next problem, it's a strike day! Will be interested to hear about your upcoming travels. Hope all goes well.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back