• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

the 10 year old legend, keeping her old mama company on the Francis

reg2450

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2013
She was 10. I turned 50. Everyone said I was a nut. I believed in her and she believed in me. So we did it. 800kms, at sometimes 5kms a day. I remember one young guy looking at me in a bar and then to Georgia, then back to me and saying: "what? couldn't you get a babysitter?" steven and georgia.jpgrsz_camino_frances_2013_156 (1).jpg 909190_10200651830876179_1841799141_n.jpg 941443_10151339496851887_544257673_n.jpg 908305_10200821685762445_1268502403_n.jpg the walk 2013 422.JPG the walk 2013 387.JPG the walk 2013 739.JPG

Attachments

• the walk 2013 1119.JPG
    the walk 2013 1119.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • georgia and gina grow up 2013 827.JPG
    georgia and gina grow up 2013 827.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you all so much. It was the best bonding experience. That bloody mountain at the beginning was near the end of us, particularly as I carried her bag as well as mine, so she could dance and laugh (which stopped somewhere 3kms from the top). But we both danced and laughed on the way down to Roncesvalles. Gosh we had fun. Towards the end, when she realised the reputation she had developed was sincere, she sat me down and said, "so what I'm doing is pretty big, is that right?" and when I raved about her amazingness, she told me to stop and said, "well, I don't want to do it anymore, in fact I never wanted to". I asked if she was missing her dad, and she said yes, but she also had not laid eyes on another young person for some 7 weeks. So we stopped for a long time in Sarria. Then she set her face towards Santiago, latched on to some wonderful, wonderful, amazing, beautiful people who adored her, and I was swept up in their wake as they marched 28 - 33kms a day to get her home.

Brilliant! I really want to walk the Frances with my daughter. Very envious. She's a bit young (4) but she'd give it a good go. Cant wait until she's old enough.
Because I was a control freak (but cured of that since the pilgrimage) I put 3 years of planning into The Way. I was always going to take Georgia, but I had to wait for a good age where she may not flip out at the prospect of walking 30km in one day (at times). I told her that once she can walk from our place to Bellingen in one day, we'd go. We never did walk to Bellingen (are you nuts? that's so far), but we broke in our Mongrel Boots and said, 'Let's do this'. I had her full attention and she had mine... for 8 weeks (we went to France and stayed with family afterwards in Aux en Provence and Chamonix). We still stop every afternoon, no matter what we're doing and I have my Cafe con Leche, and she has her Cola Cao (that I ordered online and shipped here from Spain). Ritual. I love it. We loved it. Do it, do it, do it, do it, just do it.

Good for you! It is an extraordinary thing that you have done together, and I suspect you'll find all manner of blessings flow from it.

I admire the many stories of parent-child Caminos that are shared here, and stand in awe of the entire families that walk together.

Last summer, I walked with my then-15 year oldest son, and next summer I walk with my to-be-14 year middle son. I chose that age because they are old enough that I won't have to carry their pack (barring injury of course) and be reasonably self-responsible, but still young enough not to have to compete with summer jobs and girlfriends. The time and process is priceless.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Brilliant! I really want to walk the Frances with my daughter. Very envious. She's a bit young (4) but she'd give it a good go. Cant wait until she's old enough.
Having a daughter, I have had so many plans for her. I always expected her to be a mini-me, just much, much better! But as she had grown into her teens, sometimes she fulfills my plans, sometimes she just dashes them! Part of the Mother-Daughter dichotomy that exists in reality!

I'd love to share a sequential Camino with her after my own first one is done, but somehow I doubt she will want to... Good luck with achieving your dream!

-E

This is a lovely thread. I've walked the Frances with one adult daughter (and she went back for seconds) and the other walked part of the Frances with her husband.

I'd love to walk it one day with my granddaughters. Wouldn't that be something? They are just babies so here's hoping I stay fit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all so much. It was the best bonding experience. That bloody mountain at the beginning was near the end of us, particularly as I carried her bag as well as mine, so she could dance and laugh (which stopped somewhere 3kms from the top). But we both danced and laughed on the way down to Roncesvalles. Gosh we had fun. Towards the end, when she realised the reputation she had developed was sincere, she sat me down and said, "so what I'm doing is pretty big, is that right?" and when I raved about her amazingness, she told me to stop and said, "well, I don't want to do it anymore, in fact I never wanted to". I asked if she was missing her dad, and she said yes, but she also had not laid eyes on another young person for some 7 weeks. So we stopped for a long time in Sarria. Then she set her face towards Santiago, latched on to some wonderful, wonderful, amazing, beautiful people who adored her, and I was swept up in their wake as they marched 28 - 33kms a day to get her home.
Wonderful, wonderful story....thankyou for sharing with us all.....and, congratulations Georgia - to quote my grandaughter....;'Georgia Rocks Nannie Sue.....'

She was 10. I turned 50. Everyone said I was a nut. I believed in her and she believed in me. So we did it. 800kms, at sometimes 5kms a day. I remember one young guy looking at me in a bar and then to Georgia, then back to me and saying: "what? couldn't you get a babysitter?" View attachment 10762View attachment 10765 View attachment 10766 View attachment 10767 View attachment 10769 View attachment 10770 View attachment 10771 View attachment 10772
What a wonderful experience to have with your daughter one she and you will never forget. You post that you are from the greatest place on earth. Where might that be? My wife and I are young retired and I am looking to live in another country out of the USA. I want to experience the world from a different point of view.

Because I was a control freak (but cured of that since the pilgrimage) I put 3 years of planning into The Way. I was always going to take Georgia, but I had to wait for a good age where she may not flip out at the prospect of walking 30km in one day (at times). I told her that once she can walk from our place to Bellingen in one day, we'd go. We never did walk to Bellingen (are you nuts? that's so far), but we broke in our Mongrel Boots and said, 'Let's do this'. I had her full attention and she had mine... for 8 weeks (we went to France and stayed with family afterwards in Aux en Provence and Chamonix). We still stop every afternoon, no matter what we're doing and I have my Cafe con Leche, and she has her Cola Cao (that I ordered online and shipped here from Spain). Ritual. I love it. We loved it. Do it, do it, do it, do it, just do it.

I start with my 10 year old son in 10 days. Does Georgia have any advice directly for him? We will be on the northern route. I spent a lot of time in Aix-en-Provence, just love it. Buen camino every day!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a lovely thread. I've walked the Frances with one adult daughter (and she went back for seconds) and the other walked part of the Frances with her husband.

I'd love to walk it one day with my granddaughters. Wouldn't that be something? They are just babies so here's hoping I stay fit.
Kanga, you will be eternally fit.....your posts and encouragement to others are always so full of life and positiveness.....just cannot imagine you not being fit and wanting to walk.....Just my two cents worth here for today.

What a wonderful experience to have with your daughter one she and you will never forget. You post that you are from the greatest place on earth. Where might that be? My wife and I are young retired and I am looking to live in another country out of the USA. I want to experience the world from a different point of view.
Jabaldo - ONE of the best places on earth is here in Western Australia - lots of sunshine, lots of lovely beaches, lots of vineyards, lots of places to walk and explore....Camino smiles to you.

Good for you! It is an extraordinary thing that you have done together, and I suspect you'll find all manner of blessings flow from it.

I admire the many stories of parent-child Caminos that are shared here, and stand in awe of the entire families that walk together.

Last summer, I walked with my then-15 year oldest son, and next summer I walk with my to-be-14 year middle son. I chose that age because they are old enough that I won't have to carry their pack (barring injury of course) and be reasonably self-responsible, but still young enough not to have to compete with summer jobs and girlfriends. The time and process is priceless.
You're right. Priceless

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It's amazing how the Camino gets under your skin. I was aware of it for 20 years before I started thinking I would do it too. I have grandchildren who want to do it with me. Now to ask God about how we'll get that happening..... It's the photos and the cameraderie, the friendships and the pure bliss that bring everyone under the spell. Everyone knows I am not the same, and Georgia knows she can DO ANYTHING now.

What a wonderful experience to have with your daughter one she and you will never forget. You post that you are from the greatest place on earth. Where might that be? My wife and I are young retired and I am looking to live in another country out of the USA. I want to experience the world from a different point of view.[/QUOTE

!! thank you! We come from the Land DownUnder. A wonderful port called Coffs Harbour. It truly is paradise, with the mountains (yes, we dare to call our hills that here) going all the way to the sea; islands, rainforests, farmland, rivers and vast beaches all to ourselves. We get to watch the humpback whales migrate to and from the Antarctic, and have a rather gorgeous climate to boot. To our shame though.... especially after experiencing the relative affordability of Europe and in particular, Spain.... we are a ridiculously expensive nation.... I developed a coffee addiction crossing the Camino at 80Eurocents each, I nearly went broke coming home to our $5 a cup.
If you're ever here... anyone .... I could spend a month discussing the Camino with anyone, particularly if you've done it too!!!!!!!!!!

I start with my 10 year old son in 10 days. Does Georgia have any advice directly for him? We will be on the northern route. I spent a lot of time in Aix-en-Provence, just love it. Buen camino every day!

From Georgia:
YOU NEED GOOD BOOTS!! Hope you've broken them in!! I had Mongrel Boots and loved them. Don't walk further than you really want to. Everyone will love you because you're different. Bring warm clothes - it's cold even in Spring. Pray. someone's listening. Good luck. Let me know how you went. (even when you're sick of your mother/father, you can still walk with them..strange, but good. There'd be nothing worse than wanting to get away from them in a strange land).
Mum and I loved Aux-En-Provence... going there after the Camino was very strange. We lived so frugally for 6 weeks, then .... back to luxury. Thank goodness. Ha! :)

Jabaldo - ONE of the best places on earth is here in Western Australia - lots of sunshine, lots of lovely beaches, lots of vineyards, lots of places to walk and explore....Camino smiles to you.

I agree. WA is amazing. If I didn't love Coffs, I'd go to WA and we are at extreme opposites of the country - there's a whole heap in between ♥

Do it, do it, do it, do it, just do it.

Definitely :)

It's already on our plan, we've spoken about it a lot. She was only 3 when I went off to walk the Camino (her mother and I split up that night and I decided to go and do the Camino pretty much the next day), she knows something major happened and the Camino was a really big event in her life. She talks about it even now, 18 months on. I bought her a little painted stone from Rabanal which she absolutely treasures. Spain, to her, is some magic kingdom which, for reasons she doesn't quite get yet, is very special to Daddy. She wants to go so much. She's a real little adventurer and I hope I can sustain her enthusiasm for travel.

I'd take her this summer if I thought she'd be up to it. I think we'd probably manage 5km a day right now! But I know she would enjoy it.

Stuart, next summer she'll manage 10km a day easily and maybe more. That's a decent distance to actually get somewhere (except across the Meseta!!) If you were short on time you could walk from Astorga again - and she'd get to visit Rabanal where her stone came from!
OTOH, maybe you want that magical kingdom to stay in her mind for a while.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am hoping to walk with my grand daughter next Summer so I am very interested to hear how others got on.

Whilst working as an amigo in Santiago de Compostela I just loved when a child came in with parent or grandparent, and when little Eric from Ireland came back to give me a last hug before they set off for the airport it really made my day.

Stuart, next summer she'll manage 10km a day easily and maybe more. That's a decent distance to actually get somewhere (except across the Meseta!!) If you were short on time you could walk from Astorga again - and she'd get to visit Rabanal where her stone came from!
OTOH, maybe you want that magical kingdom to stay in her mind for a while.

I thought about taking her this summer and renting a car and driving some of the route but it just doesnt seem right. I'd rather wait and make it really special.

10km is a nice distance, she could get her first Compostela over a couple of weeks from somewhere just past Sarria. That's a really nice idea, I like that.

It's already on our plan, we've spoken about it a lot. She was only 3 when I went off to walk the Camino (her mother and I split up that night and I decided to go and do the Camino pretty much the next day), she knows something major happened and the Camino was a really big event in her life. She talks about it even now, 18 months on. I bought her a little painted stone from Rabanal which she absolutely treasures. Spain, to her, is some magic kingdom which, for reasons she doesn't quite get yet, is very special to Daddy. She wants to go so much. She's a real little adventurer and I hope I can sustain her enthusiasm for travel.

I'd take her this summer if I thought she'd be up to it. I think we'd probably manage 5km a day right now! But I know she would enjoy it.

Spain will forever be in our hearts. We will return. We must. Though I was very keen to start up my own spiritual pilgrimage in Australia for those of us who want to walk with God for a while and hate the 30 hours of flying ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am hoping to walk with my grand daughter next Summer so I am very interested to hear how others got on.

Whilst working as an amigo in Santiago de Compostela I just loved when a child came in with parent or grandparent, and when little Eric from Ireland came back to give me a last hug before they set off for the airport it really made my day.

Kids keep it real don't they?

Georgia flipped out when I told her we only had to walk from Sarria to get the Compostella. The European pilgrims were most impressed that we were walking from France.... when Georgia worked out that many people walked the Camino 'piecemeal' - 2 weeks at a time or a chunk one year and some more later on; she asked why we were doing it all at once, and I answered "I didn't know you could do it any other way". Plus, I told her, "do you really think we'd be keen to do that flight too often?"
Us travellers from Australia worked out we really are a long way away from everyone.

Spain will forever be in our hearts. We will return. We must. Though I was very keen to start up my own spiritual pilgrimage in Australia for those of us who want to walk with God for a while and hate the 30 hours of flying ;)
God is everywhere; it's the villages, coffee shops and albergues less than 20km apart that are missing in Australia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Stuart, you WILL always be able to sustain Rowan's enthusiasm....you are always so positive when you write about whatever you two do together.....From whatever I've read so far, I feel that she is 'a born traveller' as also are you....cheers and Camino Hugs.

God is everywhere; it's the villages, coffee shops and albergues less than 20km apart that are missing in Australia!
and most especially when crossing the Nullabor Plain....no little villages, very few big villages and cafe con leche is absolutely non existent.

Stuart, you WILL always be able to sustain Rowan's enthusiasm....you are always so positive when you write about whatever you two do together.....From whatever I've read so far, I feel that she is 'a born traveller' as also are you....cheers and Camino Hugs.

Thanks! She's very curious about the world and I'm so proud of that. I'm a big believer that travel is the best education you can buy and I think the day she says "I'm dropping out of Medical School to go round the world in a Land Rover" will make me very proud :D I've got about 15 years or so to prepare for the irate phone call from her mother blaming me :):):)

and most especially when crossing the Nullabor Plain....no little villages, very few big villages and cafe con leche is absolutely non existent.

Ooooh... Nullabor is a place I've wanted to visit for a long time! Don't disappoint me that cafe con leche is not available! It'll have to be cold beer then.

Ooooh... Nullabor is a place I've wanted to visit for a long time! Don't disappoint me that cafe con leche is not available! It'll have to be cold beer then.
Sorry to disappoint. Be hard pressed to get a cold beer as well. There is not much out on the old Nullabour plain. Gone across more than a dozen times by car but would not ever walk it. Nothing to see. But would recommend checking Australian Coast line it's beautiful. I just competed the Great Ocean Road Walk. Now that you can have a cold beer on.

Sorry to disappoint. Be hard pressed to get a cold beer as well. There is not much out on the old Nullabour plain. Gone across more than a dozen times by car but would not ever walk it. Nothing to see. But would recommend checking Australian Coast line it's beautiful. I just competed the Great Ocean Road Walk. Now that you can have a cold beer on.

Partly it's because I love big open deserts but the main reason is it is full of flooded caves. My big passion is cave diving and Nullabor is a place I'd read about many years ago that's always been on the bucket list.

Next you'll be telling me the food is bad too :)

Partly it's because I love big open deserts but the main reason is it is full of flooded caves. My big passion is cave diving and Nullabor is a place I'd read about many years ago that's always been on the bucket list.

Sorry Stuart I never said it was bad. Just not ideal to hike. But if it's the cave diving then it would be amazing to do. I believe it's a must for divers to try. Enjoy.

Food? What food? Oh, you mean the fried egg and bacon rolls available from the garage diner? Sorry, yes, the food is (a) scarce and (b) very ordinary.

Sorry about that Stuart... The distance between the Cold Beer can also be an issue, especially if you are in a hurry......Still that tends to make the beer all that much more enjoyable when you DO get to it.......:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Food? What food? Oh, you mean the fried egg and bacon rolls available from the garage diner? Sorry, yes, the food is (a) scarce and (b) very ordinary.
Now Kanga, I wouldn't say that the food is "ordinary" - some of the meals that I have had whilst out there have been the best meals I've ever eaten, especially at the Roadhouses where the Truckies stop.......huge plates of Bacon and Eggs or Steak and eggs........just the thing after a long drive.....:)
And, Stuart, yes, there are some great caves out there, plus, where you can get down to the sea, the scenery is just stunning. :)

Now Kanga, I wouldn't say that the food is "ordinary" - some of the meals that I have had whilst out there have been the best meals I've ever eaten, especially at the Roadhouses where the Truckies stop.......huge plates of Bacon and Eggs or Steak and eggs........just the thing after a long drive.....:)
And, Stuart, yes, there are some great caves out there, plus, where you can get down to the sea, the scenery is just stunning. :)

Sounds good. When I travelled round the US truck stops and diners were my favourite place to eat.

I guess it can stay on the bucket list :D Do they at least do proper mugs of tea? That dreadful Liptons stuff they sell in Europe and America... urgh...

Sounds good. When I travelled round the US truck stops and diners were my favourite place to eat.

I guess it can stay on the bucket list :D Do they at least do proper mugs of tea? That dreadful Liptons stuff they sell in Europe and America... urgh...
I would hope that they still have proper mugs of tea Stuart....last time I was on the Nullabor, they did.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back