• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best dayś walk I have ever had on the Camino

gyro

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos: Frances, Ingles, Portugues, de Norte
Via(s): de la Plata, Mozarabe
Dear All,
You must all know me by now. I occasionally pop in, usually in the month before I go to Spain to tackle a camino, and I write the odd message or so.
I think that I must have spent about 100 days on one camino or another. I enjoy the challenge of plodding slowly, oh, so slowly through the Iberian countryside.
This evening, I am in Muxia. I feel happy and joyful and rested, and am looking forward to a glass of wine. It is a wonderfully clear evening: the port and the town all look fresh and clean. The air is fantastic.
Today I walked from Finesterre to Muxia. It took me 7.5 hours. This was the best day of walking I have ever had on the camino. The landscape stunning --oh. those blue waters and white sands! the green fields and the forests. The chapel at the headland in Muxia austere and gorgeous when viewed against the blue ocean. I feel very blessed and am very grateful to be here.
If any of you ever get the opportunity to walk this route, then I recommend it to you very strongly.
Tomorrow I get the bus (at 6.45 am) to Santiago, on Thursday I fly home.

This journey has been a good one.
Kind regards
Gyro

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Gyro,

I wholeheartedly agree, for totally oposite reasons! :D
On December 5th 2010 I walked from Muxia to Finisterre in the most incredible thunderstorm.
The river crossing was trecherous, the wind blew me from my feet, the rain drenched each and every item I was carrying (didnt dry them all for 3 whole days) and the lightening, in hindsight, was pretty dangerous wilst walking through those forests.
I was miserable that day, but now looking back it was one of the best, most eventful, challenging and totally rewarding days walking of my life. Its the bad days you'll look back and remember with fondness.
Oh to be walking once more......... :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I too agree, I walked here after the VDLP and it was all so unexpected because I had not really planned this section. I eventually got the key to sleep in the leisure centre from the police station, next day the clocks went forward and I too caught the early bus back to Santiago. But we have since been back on holiday and it was wonderful and we did have some good wine.
Liz

gregdedman said:
Hi Gyro,

I wholeheartedly agree, for totally oposite reasons! :D
On December 5th 2010 I walked from Muxia to Finisterre in the most incredible thunderstorm.
The river crossing was trecherous, the wind blew me from my feet, the rain drenched each and every item I was carrying (didnt dry them all for 3 whole days) and the lightening, in hindsight, was pretty dangerous wilst walking through those forests.
I was miserable that day, but now looking back it was one of the best, most eventful, challenging and totally rewarding days walking of my life. Its the bad days you'll look back and remember with fondness.
Oh to be walking once more......... :)
Agreed as regards the walking. I finished in Muxia last Tuesday and I am missing the rhythm of the daily walk.
And I agree with the "fond memory" of the worst walks. and worst nights. I once spent a night, on my own, in the vast pilgrim chamber at Oseira. Man, was I glad to get up and get going......
Kind regards
Gyro

madrid12 said:
Yes, I too agree, I walked here after the VDLP and it was all so unexpected because I had not really planned this section. I eventually got the key to sleep in the leisure centre from the police station, next day the clocks went forward and I too caught the early bus back to Santiago. But we have since been back on holiday and it was wonderful and we did have some good wine.
Liz
Indeed, it all looks like a "passing thought". Oh well, I am here in Finisterre. I might as well walk on for one more day....and what an experience!
Recommended to everyone
All good wishes
Gyro

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last year I drove this (SdeC - F - Muxia - SdeC) because I had broken ribs and couldn't do my planned walk. My doctor said no, so I said I'll find another way... LOVED it. This year (ojala!) I am determined to walk it. You have all got me all fired up and ready to get the boots out. Roll on the 25th July!
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
P.S. I'll have to find a way to fit it into a future book somewhere!

P.S. Gregdedman reminds me of walking with my daughter to the "Domain Sauvage" Templar's refuge on the Le Puy route circa 2001. Thunder and lightning everywhere through the forest and when we arrived a lot of pilgrims all huddled and steaming around a massive 13th century fireplace, all of them looking like they had seen the gates of hell. It was one of the best ever!

Glad to hear that you all found this stretch of the Camino so special to walk. I live about an hour south of Finisterre. A group from my town has started tackling the Camino little by little, as many of us have time constraints and physical reasons we can't do it all at once. Thus far, we have walked from O'Cebreiro to Santiago and from Santiago to Finisterre. Next weekend, we are walking from Finisterre to Muxia. I'm not sure what the weather is going to be, but rain or shine, it will be a magical "end" to our Galician Camino. As Muxia is close to where we live, we have all been there before; however, I'm sure this walk will make us see it in a light we've never seen it in before! We were originally planning to do this walk last weekend, but we would arrive there during the annual "Virxen da Barca" festival. We decided to postpone it a week, so that Muxia is not inundated with thousands of people. We'll now be able to sit and listen to the waves and the wind. We'll be able to quietly enjoy this beautiful place. You have all whetted my appetite! I can't wait!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lucky, lucky you!

Have a wonderful walk.

Just wanted to let you know that your post here may well have changed my life! It IS a beautiful walk, isn't it? And Muxia in many ways is even more the end of the world than Finisterre (Touriñan actually which inexplicably is not on the Camino). Either way, I hope to welcome those pilgrims who have walked to either Finisterre or Muxia, or for that matter from Santiago if they come brandishing their Compostela: the Little Fox House will be open as a "Half-Way-House (as someone nicely described it) to all. Three to Five nights. Donativo. And expect to be working as there is a Job Jar!

Here's a link if you want to see what is in store. Mid January 2012 onwards...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 806&type=1

I walked from Finisterre to Muxia and agree it was a one of the best days walk. It was not planned, we had planned to walk to Finisterre if we had 3 clear days to spare. We wanted to wait to see a Spanish friend who had walked with us for 10 days so our plan changed and we bussed to Finisterre. At 10.30 the next morning we looked at each other and said let'sgo for a 30km walk! to Muxia. The beaches, the wildness, the entire day was wonderful, we also said the Rosary with the local women in the Church. However we were turned away from the Alberque because we had no stamp for the 30kms. I was in tears but we found a hotel room and it worked out ok,, but we did decide to get the early bus out the next morning.
Muxia from Santiago will be on my agenda for future Caminos, maybe we will get chance to stay with you then. Thanks.
Una

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll just join in the Muxia chorus. Standing on those rocks next to the Church with the waves crashing -- well, it's just like it looks in the ending of The Way.

I know others have given this warning, but it's important for people walking to Muxia to know that the hospitalero there requires a stamp from at least one intermediate stop. We knew about this and were sure to get a stamp in the bar in the little town (whose name escapes me now) right before the infamous stone crossing. But we met some people who hadn't done that, and they were unable to convince the hospitalero to let them stay, even though the albergue wasn't full. I thought it was a bit over the top at the time. So be warned, get your stamp!

I was very surprised and saddened to hear that someone at the Muxia albergue is being unreasonable. No-one should end their Camino "in tears"! :cry: If you have the Finisterre stamp and you are in Muxia, there is every likelihood you walked there as it's almost as difficult and takes about as long to get from one to the other by bus!
Never mind, get your sello along the way and visit Muxia. Or go there first and do it the other way around. Begoña in Finisterre is a pretty reasonable woman...
And don't forget to visit me at the Little Fox House in Carantoña afterwards (9 klms from Os Muiños on the way from Hospital/Dumbria; 15 from Muxia and I'll even pick you up). All I need to see is your Compostela! You can stay 3 to 5 days for a donativo (but be prepared to peel potatoes!)
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Most read last week in this forum

Brother going next week SDC to Finisterre, can only remember one short hill climb of any consequence cannot remember location ???

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back